“Summer lunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Summer lunch”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped on route with 10 yr old; very pleasant ambience, nicely designed. Window table overlooking Cardigan Bay. Excellent, friendly, bilingual service. Bilingual staff, menus, signs etc add a lot to the customer experiece. Good food, local ingredients and quick service. 10 yr old had kids margarita; we had crab & prawn bruschetta / chicken caesar & 2 glasses wine. All excellent. Good fast, free wifi. A great place with lots of feelgood factor. Diolch yn fawr am y croeso.

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Best place to eat, drink in Aberystwyth!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I truly enjoy going to the Baravin on any occasion I get to eat out in Aberystwyth. The place is a true asset to the town. It might not be everyone's come of tea, but lets me honest you can't please everyone in life. However this place is a modern, classy and social place to eat and drink. Service is great, a team of young always friendly staff and the food is great!!

I love the cocktail and that people can come in and enjoy drinking here also. Its a true example of how this town should look to support these type of business in the future, for the sake of our tourist industry and also the local people that enjoy having a good time.

Swansea Bay, United Kingdom
“Excellent location. Lovely food. Wonderful staff.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Great location, opposite the sea. The staff are so lovely and accommodating. The food was superior to the food we had the previous evening in a Jamie Oliver restaurant. Nicely decorated, laid back but great service.

Visited August 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great menu, good atmosphere, friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were staying in a cottage just outside Aberystwyth and this place was recommended to us by someone local. My parents visited on the Wednesday evening and my husband and I went on the Thursday. We were all very impressed.
I like the decor (semi-industrial but softened by lots of wood) and the location is superb. They were pretty busy but seemed to have enough staff to cope and we noticed that staff were able to spend time talking to customers (including us) which makes a nice change from places where the staff are so rushed they barely make eye contact when they take your order.
We both really appreciated the menu, with its use of some local ingredients and dishes that were not just the same-old, same-old you get in some Italian restaurants. We shared the pork pate to start which was really tasty, served with a tangy chutney and some beautiful fresh, peppery rocket. I had the linguine with prawns, chorizo and lime and it was delicious. A great balance of flavours and a good size portion. My husband had the wild boar ragu with pasta and he loved it (cannot understand the previous reviewer who thought it was tinned meatballs). To finish he had the sticky toffee pudding which met his high standards and I went for the sweet pizza which completely defeated me despite being tasty!
The wine list was excellent and the choice of beers even better. Good to see some local ales on the list too.
Other good points - everything was spotless; no music but plenty of buzz from other people's conversation meant we could chat away without shouting at each other but also without feeling like we were being listened to! Our waitress was helpful, friendly and very engaging as well as passionate about the food.
Overall, we didn't want to leave and even came back for coffee the next day!
Keep up the high standards Baravin....and come and open a branch in Cardiff please!

Wales
“Give it a miss if you are on your own.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have eaten in Baravin a few times in the past and decided to eat there again,around 6.15, one weekday evening at the end of July. The place was quite full when I entered but I spotted two empty tables and sat at one. Both tables were for 4 people and unfortunately I was alone. I have always eaten alone in Baravin in the past without any problems. Neither of the two waitresses, who were not particularly busy, paid me any attention so I called one over and asked for a menu. She asked me how many would be eating. I said just me, as I was sure she must have noticed I was alone. She didn't go to get a menu, she went to speak to the daily manager. After about 2-3 minutes she returned and told me that table was reserved in 30 minutes time, that they had no other tables for at least an hour. Well there was nothing on the table to say it was reserved (that is why I sat there), nor was there a reservation on the other empty table, and two ladies behind me vacated their table while I was there. So, and in particular, since the waitress had asked me how many would be eating, I felt that they were not interested in serving me as one person does not spend as much money as 4, that they would prefer to get rid of me in order to hope that a larger group of people would come in and sit at the table. IF tables are reserved there should be a notice to indicate this. Although no-one probably saw me sit down and then leave, I felt acutely embarrassed that I was being told to leave, which in effect I was.
Baravin calls itself a pizza cafe bar. Despite it's modern external appearance the furniture inside is basic tables and chairs, nothing special. It's main courses are predominantly pizza or pasta in the £10-13 range, desserts £6, not particularly cheap, and I doubt outside the range of most students.
So will I be visiting Baravin again. No way. Rarely do I find myself writing a scathing review but on this occasion I am. Shops and restaurants have the right to refuse to serve a person, but I strongly felt that on this occasion I was refused service because I was one person sitting at a table for 4. IF Baravin was not happy with this then the waitresses should be trained to be more diplomatic, or be more alert to patrons entering in the first place.
There are plenty of places to eat in Aber which serve equally, and probably better, food than Baravin, so next time I want to eat in Aber I will go elsewhere. Baravin didn't need my custom on this occasion and surely won't miss my contribution to their till in the winter months when the place is much less full.
I do not intend to award Baravin any stars but Trip Advisor does not permit this, so the one star I award is for the view, which I had time to appreciate for 3 minutes being told I had to leave.

13 Thank Abrams