“Do NOT visit”

Ranked #32 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Do NOT visit”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

In all honestly this hotel wasn't worth one star.
My girlfriend and I booked a 'deluxe' room and were charged £120. We obviously arrived with high expectations. Upon entry to our room I could not stop shouting. I have never been ripped off as badly in my entire life. The room was absolutely tiny, the bathroom ridiculously small, the fixtures in poor condition and in some cases hanging off. The shower was unclean and the toilet seat chipped and stained. I went down immediately and asked if we were in the right room. They said yes and claimed the price is justified by the view. Amazing, £120 to look at grey, mucky sea for a night! I tried to move us to another hotel but everywhere was full. I strongly recommend you avoid even stepping foot in this hell hole. It has cost me the same as a five-star suite for a miniscule room that wasn't properly clean and far from comfortable. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Use a different hotel! Trust me.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joe W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My wife 2 children and I were booked to stay at this hotel in august. We were on tour in wales and were driving from llandudno when my car broke down.I phoned the hotel to say we might not make it and was it possible to cancel my reservation .the receptionist said no and told me I would lose the £140.00 it would cost for the night.I decided we would get there by the train so we wouldn't lose the money and told the receptionist we might be late .We got to the hotel about 5oclock after I had noticed the 140.00 had been taken out of my bank account .now I get to the best bit . The receptionist who was now a woman looks in the book then says I thought you were not coming and we have just sold your room to someone else .She spoke to her boss on the phone and said they had room in another hotel but I had read the reviews and refused because I had booked here . Eventually I got my money back when the boss turned up and begged us not to write a bad review.The main reason I'm disappointed is they could of got 240.00 for that one night and because I had booked a trip to devils bridge the next day I ended up driving an extra 150 miles. I would not book here again or use the company that recommends this place

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jamicalex

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed in room 5 bedroom very small problem passing each other around bed, smallest on suite i have ever seen if we had been larger people we would not have been able to use it. Room 5 is located on the second floor after climbing two flights of spiral stairs with suitcases you are left shattered no lift. Breakfast was serve down in a cellar which became very over crowded when 6 to 8 people were eating at the same time no air condition very hot service very slow had to keep asking for food. When booking asked for deluxe room, only thing deluxe about it was the price £140 per night very over priced. Only plus thing about the b/b was the view clean room and breakfast when you managed to get it.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank keith1v
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Not all rooms have a seaview, we certainly didn't even though it was advertised on the web site. Our room was quite small but the bathroom in comparison was very spacious. Sash windows that were hard to open overlooking terraced houses and dustbins meant the room was very stuffy. We had to go up a spiral staircase with our suitcase which was quite exhausting as there was no lift. The buffet breakfast was served in the cellar and even though it was very nice the waitress was slow at clearing the tables. On the plus side it was very clean. We were also in room 6 and fully agree with the report above from 'Cheekygirls94'. We won't be coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

When we book a hotel or B&B we always check out the website first. All seemed to read great so we booked. The website said all rooms are sea view - not so, and bathrooms have bathrobes - not so. They may seem small points but a sea view was what clinched it for me. When we got to Belgrave House at 1.30pm to check in we were told the room wasn't available until 2pm. That was no problem we said - we will come back later. Check in was fine. The room we were allocated was at the top of two flights of stairs (room 6) which definitely did not have a sea view! The view was of the back of other buildings and some bins. First disappointment. The room was small - just enough room to walk past the bed. There were stains on the carpet and the wall mirror had a chunk missing out of it. The ensuite door didn't close at all. The boiler was in the ensuite which was very noisy. The ensuite was as big as the bedroom but no fluffy bathrobes as described on the website. Second disappointment. The breakfast was in a very small basement room with no windows or air circulating so it was vey hot and stuffy in there. Breakfast was buffet style hot and cold which was adequate. We didn't stay long in the dining room as it was far too hot. We felt cheated as we were promised a sea view room which we didn't get. The website says all Rooms are sea view which is not true. There are some positives. The location is great - a stones throw from the town and situated on the promenade across from the sea front. The hospitality tray was well stocked with tea/coffee/hot chocolate/biscuits. Receptionist friendly and apologetic. We paid £85 for a very small double room which was very overpriced for what we got. We wouldn't go back again as we felt cheated and if they can do it once they can do it again.

Room Tip: Don't book room 6 as definitely no sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheekygirls94
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed here for 1 night for our sons graduation (we have stayed in a number of Aber hotels previously). Positive points first - great location right on the front, and our first floor room had beautiful views. Bed was comfortable, and the room was clean. However...the bathroom was a joke - you literally could barely turn round in it, fittings were hanging loose and it had a rather unpleasant dampish smell to it. The rest of the room could best be described as tired (scuffed paintwork, tatty fittings etc), and in no way lived up to the "boutique" billing on the adverts.
Breakfast was adequate, but served in a dingy airless room in the basement.
Lastly but most importantly was the attitude of the manager who was manning reception. We left our (small overnight) cases in reception whilst I went to find a parking space; when my partner asked for help in carrying them to our room (due to recent illness she cannot lift even slightly heavy items), the manager was most offhand to the point of being rude, and only helped under sufferance (bear in mind this was 1 small flight of stairs). Not the behaviour I expect from someone in this line of business, and frankly the main reason I would not stay here again and would not recommend it - there are plenty of other (better) hotels in this town.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a sea view room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Petenac
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here after a recommendation from a good friend and even though it was really last minute we got to stay in a lovely room that the friend requested for us. The staff were lovely and welcoming, the breakfast was lovely. We can't recommend this hotel highly enough. The room including bathroom en suite and shower were clean and lovely, comfy bed and every facility we could have needed were already in the room for us. Fabulous!

Room Tip: Our friend recommended and arranged room 6 for us and it was spot on.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple