“Abysmal”

Ranked #32 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Abysmal”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

What I booked was a double room in the Four Seasons. What I got was a single room in Ty Belgrave. Like others, evidently, I booked a room in the Four Seasons then got a call on the morning of my arrival to tell me that I'd been 'upgraded' to a single room at their sister hotel- not what I'd booked, not what I wanted, but with no opportunity to cancel as I needed somewhere to sleep. They kept the price the same too, what a bargain...

The room was dreadful. Barely big enough to swing a cat and with a view of a wheelie bin in a filthy yard outside. The bathroom wasn't clean and there was absolutely nowhere to hang the towel. The desk in the room was also broken. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable.

I should've known better as owner Emyr Davies has a reputation around Aberystwyth of being a complete crook. Don't make the same mistake that I did- avoid like the plague.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank PadraigJN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We were supposed to stay for one night in this hotel but two hours before we were due to arrive recieved a call claiming there were problems with the plumbing and they were putting us in the Queensbridge ( their sister hotel). After looking at the reviews here this seems to be a common tactic and we rang them to cancel. They then claimed we would have to pay as we hadn't notified them within 48 hours - despite the fact that they had effectively cancelled the booking. They then claimed the plumbing had been fixed and they could put us in a twin room in the basement - again not what we had booked. We refused and called Booking.com, who we'd made the reservation with and they told us that they couldn't just bump us elswhere and no money was payable.
After further investigation we discover that as we suspected this was a scam on the hotel's part.
See this report for further details - and avoid all these hotels unless you want the problems we encountered. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18892925

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mbmansfield

Travellers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I booked around a week in advance for a double room with sea view. We were touring Snowdonia for three nights beforehand and not much mobile reception. Just by chance I got a signal during a walk on the morning of the day we were due to arrive and found a message from the hotel manager saying they had had plumbing problems the day before and couldn't now provide us with any rooms so had relocated us to a sister hotel. When I got to a place with wi fi we checked the other hotel which appeared inferior in many respects and rooms were lower rate (though a reduction in price had never been mentioned). There were also a few reviews from others saying they had been bumped to inferior accommodation because the owner has a number of properties in town. We decided we didn't want to stay at the inferior hotel and rang back and were astounded to be told that the Belgrave intended to charge the full price of the room on our credit card because we hadn't given them 48 hours cancellation notice! This in spite of the fact THEY had cancelled on us. Suddenly they had a twin room available (in the cellar) but this didn't sound appealing and we were beginning to wonder, might this be a scam? Does the hotel overbook, then 'bump' the unsuspecting to another of their properties? I rang Booking.com and they said they had not received any notification of this problem with the rooms, which they were supposed to do if the hotel could not fulfil the original booking. The guy also confirmed there was no way we should be charged. I am disgusted if this is common practice and am certainly never going to stay at this hotel in the future or any others owned by the same people.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FfilmCymraeg
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in room 2. The room was quite small and the bathroom very small but it was warm and comfortable, clean and the sea view very nice. Breakfast was excellent and the breakfast room was well presented. There was a small bar area where you could sit and watch the sea which was pleasant. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We added another for breakfast each day with no notice without a concern. Street parking outside was fine (it might be more difficult in the summer I suspect). Would recommend and would return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed for one night with my wife and teenage son. We stayed during the extreme weather and our family room at the top of the hotel afforded us fabulous views of the tidal surge along the promenade. The room was clean and met our needs although it would present a challenge for anybody 6" plus due to low and slanted ceilings & would have been a little cramped for four.

The staff were friendly on arrival and advised fully regarding parking availability and safety due to the tidal surge.

The staff were very welcoming in the small dining room and the breakfast was of a good standard.

All in all, the hotel represented good value for money and I would stay again for a short break, one or two nights.

Room Tip: Do not book the top floor family bedroom if you are a very tall person
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike W
UK
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed here for one night. We found a note on the closed reception with our keys in, and a note about breakfast times. We thought this fine, and then I found the answer phone messages from the owner explaining reception closed at 11am that day; we arrived around 6pm. The room was on the front with two windows, as we had wanted. The decor was nice, unfortunately the fire doors reminded us of Uni halls. The bathroom was very small, but clean a functional. Our heating did not come on, but we found we were the only people staying there. The breakfast was standard, with pleasant staff. The sea view over the pier and Constitution Hill was ideal.

Room Tip: pick a sea view! We were in room 1.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dickbobgoody
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The room was OK but the ensuite shower room was tiny, cramped and frankly dirty.
We also had problems finding somewhere to park the car.
Breakfast was Ok but the cleanliness of the breakfast room left a lot to be desired.
We were glad we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple