“Extremely nice place - I want to go back.”
Review of Gwesty Cymru

and 1 more site!
Gwesty Cymru
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Very very nice rooms (I stayed in two, swapping halfway through my stay), beautifully decorated. Rooms with sea view are astounding. Also serve the best fried breakfast I have ever eaten. I am literally struggling to think of any minus points, I really can't. I suppose maybe only the fact that I was charged for two nights parking, having requested it, but found parking was easy once I got there so never even enquired as to where the spot was - might have been nice to have this recognised and not charged for, but believe me, this place is extremely nice! I will be returning!

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view, if they have it, but all rooms are very satisfying.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gwesty Cymru

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed for a night on the last night of our holiday to Wales. This place is just fantastic. The room had a view over Cardigan Bay and was very comfortable with a lovely big bathroom with bath and shower. We lacked nothing.
We also had dinner in the restaurant and had a wonderful meal. The menu was very strong on local welsh food and the service was spot on. The staff could not do enough for you.
The breakfast was freshly cooked and again did not disappoint. All in all we loved the attention to detail in the rooms, the food and the service and the comfort of the place.
We will go back here, given the slightest excuse to drive the 5 hours it takes us to get there!

Room Tip: Room 6 has great sea views
2  Thank Walton2
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We spent three nights in this delightful hotel and restaurant. We had the blue room which has a bay window overlooking the sea. The room is spacious and well laid out with easy chairs in the bay window and almost every combination of lighting you could wish for. The bathroom is light and modern with a corner bath and separate shower, lots of fluffy towels, dressing gowns, lovely toiletries.

The food was superb. Breakfasts lasted us all day (well with a little snack) and dinners were wonderful - especially the fish.

Staff were all friendly and helpful and helped to make a splendid short break even better.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at Gwesty Cymru. It is a small family run hotel that has been completely renovated and modernized inside. It's location is very central in Aberystwyth--right in the middle of the promenade.

Our room was quiet and comfortable for sleeping and the bathroom was spotless. Full Welsh breakfast in the morning was served in the hotel's restaurant and was complete with a broad selection of both hot and cold items as well as fresh fruit.

Overall we liked the Cwesty Cymru very much and can recommend it highly.

1  Thank Traveler2552
Reviewed 31 May 2011

There are so many positives about this place I'm not sure where to start. We requested an early check-in (earlier than the usual 3pm) and this was arranged without an issue. The room was beautifully presented - we stayed in the blue room on the second floor overlooking the seafront which was a real treat. The views were lovely. The bedroom and bathroom were both fantastic and a lot of consideration had clearly been given to it's design. If I had to make one negative comment it would be the inter-connecting door to the room next door - there is such a gap underneath the door that it was quite noisy when anyone entered the room next room. We dined in the restaurant and the food and service was great. The wine list wasn't entensive but had all of our favourites on it so certainly nothing to complain about. The food and wine is priced about right, about £6-7 for a starter and between £15 and £22 for main courses. The breakfast the following morning was delicious and very relaxed. The gentleman on reception was very pleasant and made us feel really welcome. It was a nice surprise to be shown to our room upon arrivall rather than someone simply pointing the way. Can't wait to stay again.

1  Thank NJSSouthWales
Reviewed 19 May 2011

The hotel was great in terms of cleanliness, decor and staff friendliness. However, should it be considered a Guest House? No guest lounges and very small (but lovely) I think the rates are high

4  Thank NottinghamTina
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I have stayed at this lovely little hotel on the Aberystwyth seafront before and had a very nice single room - tasteful but small. This time I decided I needed a bit more space so I booked 'the purple room', which turned out to be massive with a truly lovely bay window looking out to sea. I had a bed the size of a small country and a bathroom to match.
Apparently you can have your sleep disturbed by students larking about on the beach but I had no problems.
The room was very pleasantly furnished and quite stylish - maybe the rather bland 'paintings' could be exchanged for something which better reflect the obvious good taste of the owners next time there is a refurb? My only other suggestion for an improvement would be to provide Welsh toiletries rather than bog standard London ones, to follow through on the Cymru sense of place thing.
Food was lovely - unusual veggie 'option' and gorgeous Welsh rarebit and poached egg for breakfast.
Very very nice staff - waitress for dinner was one of the most cheerful and friendly people you could hope to meet - matters a lot when you are traveling and dining alone.

Room Tip: Get a sea view and watch the sun set.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business