“Do NOT pay for garaging!”
Review of Gwesty Cymru

and 1 more site!
Gwesty Cymru
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed 3 July 2013

A comfortable hotel with excellent restaurant, but ruined by ridiculous behaviour over garaging. I was told I could have garaging for £7 a night, but was not informed that there is plenty of parking outside the hotel, free from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. and cheap after that while eating breakfast.
On checking out I was told that the garage was unlocked. My wife and I took the several minute walk with our luggage to find the garage locked. I phoned the hotel to inform them of this, and got an answerphone. I therefore had to go all the way back to the hotel to get the key, and then walk back again to the garage. By then I was only too glad to be leaving.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank anthonya2
There are newer reviews for Gwesty Cymru

Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay we arrived on a very unexpected sunny afternoon to be shown up to our room with the most perfect view of the sea .Dinner was absolutely delicious we both decided to have the welsh lamb and we were not disappointed .... We will certainly be booking in here again and next time for longer ..... We thoroughly recommend this hotel for people who expect the best ..

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

It's about a year since my last visit here so I was looking forward to going back.

The greeting was welcoming and friendly. I was offered a hand with my luggage and shown to my room. This time a small double with decent size shower room. I was facing the back which is nothing to look out on. Still to have a sea view here but I'm sure the views at the front are great. The TV in my room was problematic due to a fault. This could do with updating as it was Freeview but not widescreen.

Dinner in the restaurant was lovely; I stuck to two courses to keep the price reasonable. Breakfast was equally good - a simple selection of cereals and juices with choice of freshly prepared hot food. Some fruit salad would not have gone amiss.

My only complaints would be kitchen fan noise from the back (which luckily didn't start until 7.30am) and poor wifi in the room and restaurant. I had to sit on the stairs to complete a bit of work in the morning.

Still the best place to stay in Aber in my view!

Room Tip: If budget allows, book a sea view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Aber has been short of good places to stay down town for a long time - this has fixed that. While only 8 rooms, this is worth all of its 5 stars. Amazing sea views as it is placed right on 'the Prom'. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Modern design throughout and immaculate (was told open approx 5 years but looks new). Wireless access was free. I only stayed one night on business but will definitely return. I had the top floor which is up 3 flights of stairs (no lift) but this meant I had a large attic room (room 8) with two windows out onto the sea. Everywhere in Aber is walking distance but parking isn't great if you come by car (hotel doesn't have parking and is restricted parking on the sea front although I got parked almost out front after 5 pm). Restaurant is also very good (best lamb I have had in a long time) and a great breakfast. Am told is the best restaurant now in Aber - and can believe it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ProfAndy
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, but we had to move rooms because the hotel was fully booked. This was not a problem at all, and we knew this before arriving there. The first night we had sea view, which was amazing. Second night we didn't have a view , but the room was still very nice. I would definitely recommend paying extra . Lovely restaurant , and all the staff exceptionally helpful and friendly .

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Stayed here as a family (7 of us, 4 adults and 3 children) over Easter in rooms 6, 7 and 8. Simply excellent in all ways. Great welcome, excellent breakfast, lovely rooms with fabulous sea views in 6 and 8 and very good dinner. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed at this fab hotel on Wed 15th and16th May. This is a small modern, chic hotel and decorated to a high standard. The room we stayed in was room 4 which was spacious with a bay window and a king sized bed and a splendid bathroom. There was 2 relaxing chairs to enjoy the lovely views across the promenade and sea. We had lunch when we arrived and an evening meal on the second night and the food was delicious and presentation was very imaginative. All the staff were friendly ( the waitresses are students from the University). This was definitely a hotel that I would revisit.

Room Tip: I like white sheets and bedding and a nice view .
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple