“An unexpected treat”

Gwesty Cymru
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
“An unexpected treat”
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We went here for supper on the recommendation of the receptionist at the marine hotel and honestly were not expecting London standard meal in a small university town.
The decor is clean , smart and simple with an abundance of slate - only to be expected.
The girls waiting were friendly and knowledgeable and efficient.
Now to the food - husband had the 'on trend' scotch egg starter - which he photographed and sent to our daughter - a south west London scotch egg and food fanatic.... It was faultlessly executed , with the desired runny centre .
My lamb patties were a revelation ! Have never had anything so melt in the mouth...
Mains were pan fried cod and lived up to our now raised expectations.
Wine list was well thought out and reasonably priced.
We really felt we'd found a little welsh treasure!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kiethandcandice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed overnight on a 'business' trip. The staff were so lovely, the room was clean, comfortable, and very modern, and the restaurant food and breakfast was absolutely delicious. I don't think I have stayed in many better places across the UK. Top notch.

Room Tip: Definitely eat in the restaurant - it is a bit pricey but a great treat.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alexandra F
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We went for a single night, Saturday-Sunday. Owner and all staff very pleasant and helpful.

We had pre-booked dinner. The 8pm sitting was fully booked, so we had to take the 6pm option (we knew this in advance, so had lunched early). Scallops were excellent - simply seared and allowed to speak for themselves - and crusted lamb rump equally delicious. We promptly reserved a table for Sunday lunch. Lucky we did, as when we returned then the restaurant was full except for our table. After their excellent breakfast we were only up for their pate and a salad at lunch, but both were exceedingly good.

We had a front room (no 6, 2nd floor) with sea view. It was a fair size - the bathroom had both bath and walk-in shower. You could lie in the bath and watch the world go by on the promenade outside. Full set of soap, shampoo, bathrobes and flip-flops provided, and plentiful large towels.

All in all, a delightful experience.

Note that Gwesty Cymru is a very easy walk from the railway station. We were very happy to have come by train rather than car. GC was helpful about accommodating our suitcases before check-in and after check-out.

Room Tip: Go on, pay a bit more for the sea view - it's worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank polymath186424
GWENT
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Our group of three enjoyed a celebratory three course dinner last night. Faultless. Great service, delicious food. Need to make a reservation to avoid disappointment, will definitely return.
Well done Gwesty Cymru!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We spent a night at Gwesty Cymru for our first wedding anniversary. We are former students of Aberystwyth University, and wanted to return to celebrate. We chose Gwesty Cymru through friend’s recommendation and its top spot on this very website. Boy are we glad we did!

The hotel is beautiful, the welcome was warm, and the room was spot on. We booked room 6, which was a sea view. I highly recommend spending the little extra for the view as it was very relaxing to sit in the bay window with a glass of champagne looking over the sea. The bath also looked out at the view, and the shower was incredible!!

Before I arrived, I had organised for an announcement to go in the local paper for our anniversary. I therefore needed the hotel to keep the paper back for our arrival. Despite the hotel not generally getting the papers, they went out of their way to source one for me and put it in my room for our arrival.

We didn’t have dinner in the hotel, but breakfast was superb. I had smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast, whilst my husband had a full welsh. Both were delicious.

Highly recommend anybody to stay here. You honestly felt like nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is an excellent place but don't mistake it for a B & B. For the odd night it's a really stylish establishment with staff who are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area. For a longer stay the room we were in (No 5) was a little small and didn't have enough storage space and so we had to live out of our suitcases, which for us is not ideal. To be fair this is advertised as a 'restaurant with rooms' and it does just what it says on the tin - it was our mistake not theirs. The food in the restaurant (reviewed elsewhere), both for breakfast and dinner, was delicious.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnthonyC7
uk
Reviewed 31 July 2013

stayed here one evening recently. Not stayed before but it came highly recommended. Unusually was staying on my own so drove to Aberystwyth - lovely drive and great scenery; found the hotel ok - set back a little from the front of the sea. Managed to park ok outside - quite a lot of spaces available free overnight so wouldn't bother prebooking and paying hotel rate. On arrival there were a lot of people sitting outside having a drink. The reception staff were great - although I do have to say that the reception area is very very small and we had to try and manoeuvre cases and people etc. I was shown to my room (no 3); given a quick guide on the air conditioning etc. I thought the room was lovely but very small - clean - bathroom great but actually surprised that there was no soap or anything available to use apart from quite a lot of teabags and coffee. The bathroom was free of anything apart from a small container of "body cream". I was informed by my guide to the room that the same key for the bedroom opened the front door of the hotel if I was out late. Immediately I was struck by the thought that all keys were the same then - and they were. So a little bit worried about security. Also no room numbers on the door so if you aren't geographically minded then you could end up in somebody else's room! I was also informed that the restaurant for the evening I was there was getting booked up but that there were tables free between 7 and 8. I had a quick stroll around the town and had a drink sitting outside the hotel which was lovely; at 7 pm I ventured down to the restaurant only to be informed that they were fully booked but that I could eat in the bar area. I chose to do that rather than visit a pub alone. Sitting on the bench/pew seats around the very small bar area I was provided with 2 stools (beneath knee level) and served my dinner. Not ideal at all and I now wish I had asked for dinner in my room but hindsight etc. I only ordered a main which was sirloin steak - that was fine but came with chips and leaves and a fried tomato. No mushrooms or any bread etc and I thought the price was a bit steep at touching £19. A glass of house wine was £5.95 - would have bought a bottle usually but being on my own etc etc. I was glad of the AC in the room though and next morning breakfasted sitting at an actual table in the restaurant. Good menu; asked for toast and was only brought one slice unfortunately and not asked if I wanted any more. I ordered scrambled egg on toast (without the salmon that was on offer) - that was fine but again a small portion. A small pot of coffee and again not asked if I wanted a refill. I would stay again but I do think that the prices are very steep - over £100 for a double ensuite for single occupancy. I think this is dear for Aberystwyth; staff, though, were great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank chilliport
GwestyCymruAber, Owner at Gwesty Cymru, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. Your comments about security however concern me as they are misleading. I do not know why you have given the impression that your room key was able to open other rooms. Each room has its own individual key and lock. The keys have been configured so that they are also able to open the main entrance door. Whether the rooms are numbered or colour coded - there is no way that you could end up in someone else’s room as you would not be able to open any door with your key other than your own.