“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Diolch yn fawr; food, staff & experience, all first class. A great advert for Aberystwyth, Ceredigion and Wales in general. This should provide a blueprint for all aspiring restaurateur's & hoteliers in Wales; provide a quality service using local produce whilst making the most of the unique selling point of Wales & the Welsh language. Unwaith eto diolch yn fawr.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
caerphilly
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed here for one night and can thoroughly recommend this hotel. The service was first class from booking to check-out, extremely helpful and welcoming.
We dined in the restaurant and the food was superb and experienced very attentive and efficient service throughout. As I had to leave early in the morning, the hotel provided a continental breakfast and the selection offered on the buffet was excellent.
The room was very comfortable, the design is modern and contemporary with excellent facilities and a lovely view over the bay.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and can't wait to return - when I am not on business so that I can enjoy the hotel and location further. Diolch o galon am bopeth.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view over the bay, it's so beautiful looking out to see from your room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thame, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here when dropping our son off at Uni. The location is superb, right on the seafront of Aberystwyth which has to be one of the most charming seaside towns I have ever been to. The front of the hotel is typical of the traditional British seafront small hotel and pretty unassuming but inside the standards are second to none. The room we stayed in was outstanding with an attention to detail that was very pleasing. We made the mistake of not pre-booking the restaurant in the evening (won't be making that mistake next time!) but the breakfast the following morning was heavenly. It was an experience I would recommend to anyone thinking of staying in Aber and although not the cheapest place to stay, it was, in my view, definitely good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa D
Havant
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Fantastic experience staying at Gwesty Cymru. We booked in for two nights as we were travelling around Wales, after staying here I didn't want to travel anywhere else! A beautiful elegant hotel situated on the sea front, the staff were friendly, the food was incredible and the room was outstanding. Meticulous attention to detail throughout the hotel for example we noticed two very small light bulbs were out on a light fitting leading to our room, (our room was on the top floor all alone therefore no one needed to go up there nor would they see it) we didn't feel the need to mention this as it had no impact on our stay what so ever, we just happened to notice this, within a few hours the bulbs had been replaced. Highly recommend staying here, especially room 8 - absolutely stunning!

Room Tip: Room 8 is very spacious, full of character and romantic.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rhysbowen1
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Without any doubt, Gwesty Cymru is the premier hotel in Aberystwyth and the standard by which all the others are measured. It is a small boutique hotel set in a restored seafront house within walking distance of everything the town offers. There are no public spaces (apart from a small bar adjoining the restaurant) but the elegant bedrooms are more than sufficient. The hotel's front bedrooms have splendid views of the impressive Victorian seafront and, if you are fortunate, memorable sunsets. All the rooms, however, are extremely well equipped with free wifi, flatscreen satellite TV, robes and slippers - everything you would really want. The restaurant is first class too - a short but excellent menu - and the breakfast is as good as it gets. What more could you want?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Yorkshire
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just popped over to aberystwyth to see my grandaughter . As we were going to the
Arts Centre to see a great comedy show , I had requested sandwiches and a pot of tea. Well can I say the welcome was lovely and the sandwiches were fantastic. nothing was too much of a problem. My grand daughter came for breakfast twice and dinner on the saturday evening. Service was great , food was fabulous and the atmosphere great. I had a single room but it was the tops with a great shower and a lovely cosy bathrobe and slippers. couldnt ask for more
Great location as well thank you to all at Gwesty Cymru

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hazel A
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I travel extensively and am rather particular when it comes to hotels. All I can say is that the hotel is a real gem on the seafront. I really appreciated the little touches - the extra towels (which were huge, white and fluffy), the robe and slippers. What made this place spectacular, though, was the food. Very generous portions, reasonably priced and delicious. I had a fabulous dessert - peanut butter cheesecake with banana and salted caramel ice cream. It was to die for. And chef gave me the recipe! For breakfast, the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs was perfect, the cold buffet choices extensive and the coffee was great. The service was amazing, and the manager was obviously very diligent and caring about his guests. I've stayed elsewhere in Aberystwyth and have been very disappointed. When I got home, I immediately booked my next two visits at the Gwesty Cymru. I've rarely been so thrilled to revisit a hotel again. Thanks so much to everyone there.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business