“Food on santes dwynwen”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth
“Food on santes dwynwen”
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

On dydd santes dwynwen I booked a table for 22 people, within 15 minutes of arrival the starter was arriving, everyone received their food at the same time, staff also took drink orders, and it was delivered to the table promptly. Staff we're very accommodating. The food was delicious and there were clear plates all round at the end. Highly recommend this restaurant and we will return to gwesty cymru very soon.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the Gwesty Cymru on the evening of January 18th as a surprise getaway for my Birthday, we stayed in room 4 and had fantastic sea views, we must have spent about an hour just watching the waves roll in to the bay, mesmorizing. The room was really clean, modern and very well laid out, the bathroom was amazing, big bath and shower and really nicely lit. We also ate in the hotel in the evening and I am a bit of a self confessed food snob I can honestly say it was one of the nicest meals I have had in a long, long time. I had a simple starter of Breakfast scotch egg on a potato rosti, with a tomato sauce, followed by duck breast in a port and something sauce with an amazing mash and chantenay carrots which were covered in a sticky glaze with sesame seeds covering it, it was honestly really really good! We then shared the trio of pannacotta as a pudding (mulled wine, white chocolate and orange, I think!) and I can honestly say they were the best pannacottas we have both ever tasted. We had also booked in for Breakfast in the morning and we both went for the full Welsh breakfast which was awesome also, you could tell all the ingredients were freshly sourced and local. All the staff were very lovely, nothing was too much trouble, they all had a smile on their face and were extremely welcoming and hospitable. I can't recommend this hotel enough, we will definitely be going back, very soon I hope! Aberystwyth itself is a great town and really beautiful along the seafront - Don't forget to 'kick the bar' when you are there and yes it is still there, the storms hadn't actually done that much damage, only a few slabs of concrete and the victorian shelter had suffered! HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel and the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Diolch yn fawr; food, staff & experience, all first class. A great advert for Aberystwyth, Ceredigion and Wales in general. This should provide a blueprint for all aspiring restaurateur's & hoteliers in Wales; provide a quality service using local produce whilst making the most of the unique selling point of Wales & the Welsh language. Unwaith eto diolch yn fawr.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
caerphilly
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed here for one night and can thoroughly recommend this hotel. The service was first class from booking to check-out, extremely helpful and welcoming.
We dined in the restaurant and the food was superb and experienced very attentive and efficient service throughout. As I had to leave early in the morning, the hotel provided a continental breakfast and the selection offered on the buffet was excellent.
The room was very comfortable, the design is modern and contemporary with excellent facilities and a lovely view over the bay.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and can't wait to return - when I am not on business so that I can enjoy the hotel and location further. Diolch o galon am bopeth.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view over the bay, it's so beautiful looking out to see from your room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thame, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here when dropping our son off at Uni. The location is superb, right on the seafront of Aberystwyth which has to be one of the most charming seaside towns I have ever been to. The front of the hotel is typical of the traditional British seafront small hotel and pretty unassuming but inside the standards are second to none. The room we stayed in was outstanding with an attention to detail that was very pleasing. We made the mistake of not pre-booking the restaurant in the evening (won't be making that mistake next time!) but the breakfast the following morning was heavenly. It was an experience I would recommend to anyone thinking of staying in Aber and although not the cheapest place to stay, it was, in my view, definitely good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa D
Havant
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Fantastic experience staying at Gwesty Cymru. We booked in for two nights as we were travelling around Wales, after staying here I didn't want to travel anywhere else! A beautiful elegant hotel situated on the sea front, the staff were friendly, the food was incredible and the room was outstanding. Meticulous attention to detail throughout the hotel for example we noticed two very small light bulbs were out on a light fitting leading to our room, (our room was on the top floor all alone therefore no one needed to go up there nor would they see it) we didn't feel the need to mention this as it had no impact on our stay what so ever, we just happened to notice this, within a few hours the bulbs had been replaced. Highly recommend staying here, especially room 8 - absolutely stunning!

Room Tip: Room 8 is very spacious, full of character and romantic.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rhysbowen1
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Without any doubt, Gwesty Cymru is the premier hotel in Aberystwyth and the standard by which all the others are measured. It is a small boutique hotel set in a restored seafront house within walking distance of everything the town offers. There are no public spaces (apart from a small bar adjoining the restaurant) but the elegant bedrooms are more than sufficient. The hotel's front bedrooms have splendid views of the impressive Victorian seafront and, if you are fortunate, memorable sunsets. All the rooms, however, are extremely well equipped with free wifi, flatscreen satellite TV, robes and slippers - everything you would really want. The restaurant is first class too - a short but excellent menu - and the breakfast is as good as it gets. What more could you want?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business