“Fairly priced, minor let-downs”
Review of The Helmsman

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberystwyth
The Helmsman
Ranked #18 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This is probably one of the cheapest guest houses on the sea-front at Aber. We were lucky enough to get room 1 which is on the first floor and has a view straight out onto the prom. Overall the place seemed clean and tidy so no issues there. The lady who greeted us seemed polite enough but didn't show us where our room was or where the dining room was, although neither required much detective work.
The decor throughout was a bit of a mish-mash of some quite old and tired looking carpets and wallpaper but with evidence of recent improvements. The window in our room was single glazed and let quite a draught in which I imagine would be a nuisance in a winter storm, but we did notice that most other windows have been replaced. Consiquently our window steamed up heavily so on waking up I at first assumed there was a heavy sea-fog!
Also our ceiling had a dodgy looking stain over the door suggesting a leak, it would not have taken much to cover it up with some special paint. The bathroom was clean and had fresh towel but was a bit pokey and the shower was nowhere near hot enough, maybe due to competition for hot water before breafast.
The breakfast was really good, the indicator being a good quality sausage (not 'bready') with the cooked breakfast, and plenty of choice of cereal, toast, tinned fruit and yoghurt.
No major issues with this place and would probably use again. One point to note is that the parking is a nightmare, the car park is long and thin, probably would only accomodate 5 or 6 cars and involves blocking everyone in - my advice, park on the street out the back.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a sea view but only single glazing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ecomentalist

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Perfect location on the promonade. Quiet enough to get a great night's speep.Great room. Tony and Joan were great hosts. Good breakfast. An extremely good value in Aberystwyth. Would certainly use again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We are now starting 2nd year of our daughter being at Aberystwyth University and stayed once more at The Helmsman. It is a lovely, traditional B&B, bright, clean and comfortable rooms, excellent breakfasts and very friendly, helpful service. Will see you again in December! Many thanks!

Room Tip: I think all doubles and family rooms have full on sea view which is magnificent!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Breakfast was great,you could have a continental and full english breakfast.This b and b was right on the water front,but i had a back room which was the only one left for a sole traveller.I would of liked to stay longer,but it was a quick break from work commitments.I would definitely go back and stay.I walked across the road with my cup of tea and sat on the promenade and watched the sun come up before i went and had a lovely beakfast the next m,orning.The town and the b and b are well worth a visit.

Room Tip: get a front room over looking the sea
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MastertonMar
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My parents and I stayed 1 night on the very top floor - room number 10 I think. The view of the Marine Parade and sea was very picturesque and relaxing and we were able to sit in the comfort of our own room to watch the sunset.

Great location - across the road from the beach and a few minutes walk to the shops, cafes and restaurants.

When we first arrived (around dinner time) we rang the bell in the hallway. One of the hosts came out to great us. We asked if it was okay to park on the street and she gave us an informative answer. She quickly handed over our key and told us our room was on the top floor. I thought this was very strange considering all the previous BnBs we stayed in showed us our room on arrival.. just thought it was normal practice. The whole conversation felt very rushed and we didn't get that welcoming feeling.

We struggled up the 4 flights of stairs with our very heavy luggage to our room. I had a quick look around to discover that they had only made up the room for 2 not 3 therefore I had to go all the way back down and ring the bell again to let them know. I got the person who first greeted us when we arrived. I got the feeling as though I was disturbing her and it was an effort to find a towel + supplies to make tea and coffee.

The room was very hot and stuffy, the walls were thin so we could hear a loud group of people in the next room. The bathroom was very tiny and claustrophobic . The shower was pretty powerful but the water wasn't draining properly. I kept having to turn the shower off while I was still in it to make sure I didn't flood the bathroom. The room was clean + tidy and the beds were comfortable.

The continental breakfast was good but the cooked breakfast tasted very greasy - although it was served quickly. The menu included a variety of cereals, toast, full cooked breakfast, OJ, T/C + a choice of herbal teas. The service was good.

The room was cheap - It came up to 70GBPs ( 1 nights stay for 3 adults )

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor if you have heavy luggage or you're not good with heaps of steps...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fugpop123
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Just had one night as we were doing a motorbike tour, but was perfect. Secure undercover parking for the bike. The room, although a bit of a climb, had the best view in Aberystwyth.
We sat in the window watching people on the prom and the sun set. Lovely cooked brekkie in the morning served quickly. Not too many room facilities but at this price you wouldn't expect them. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M4rt1ncj0ne5
Reviewed 13 June 2012

stayed for 3 night at the helmsman felt relaxed from the first minute staff very helpfull rooms bright cheerfull+ clean. breakfast was great .we stayed in room no5 had an excellent sea view and loved going to sleep +waking up to the waves lapping on the beach. cant speak highly enough about this place next time we go to aberystwyth the helmsman will be the first place to ring.

Room Tip: stayed in room no5 see view for family of 3 and was big enough
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family