“Great accomodation - let down by bar/restuarant”

The Management Centre
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Stayed here on a business trip. The check in service and accomodation was faultless. It was the last thing I would have expected as part of a University Campus. A real let down was the poor bar man having to dash between the restaurant and the bar - you have to phone an extension number and the guy would be dispatched from elsewhere. Additionally at the end of dinner I sat there with an empty glass the waiter/maitre d' was very busy setting up for breakfast and appeared to be too busy to attend to us. We left and went to the bar which may well have been what he wanted.

Room Tip: Had a room overlooking the Menai Straights which was lovely
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed here with friends while hiking parts of the Anglesey Coastal Path. It was a nice stay, but not spectacular. The rooms and bed are quite small. There was no real space for 2 suitcases and we did not always sleep well because of the small bed an shared cover.

Other than that, the restaurant is good with a nice view and fresh food. Staff is friendly and attentive.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I write this review with some trepidation, and for purely selfish reasons since I dont want to contribute to the popularity of this hotel too much: I want to stay here again and dont want it to be fully booked!

For the past twelve years I have travelled to Bangor several times a year on buisness. consequently I am au-fait with most of the local accomodation. Since this hotel opened a few years ago, I have never stayed anywhere else; scrupulously clean, well presented rooms and restaurant food to die for, views of the manai straits, all at a price that wont break the bank.

Simon, the maître d’hôtel, is a lovely man; always ready to go the extra step to make your meal a highly enjoyable experience.

The menu: where to start? the inventiveness of the menu and quality and flavours of the dishes are simply atrocious- atrociously low priced for the quality that is! I still cannot believe I can get such an amazing meal for just over £20-.

Every time I visit there are new and intruiging items on the menu. Read a selection from tonights menu below; I bet you cannot deny you would like to try at least one or two.

Starters:
Thai fishcakes on bed of rocket and sweet chilli dip
Beetroot and pomegranate salad topped with feta cheese and walnuts and balsamic dressing
Duck and Port pate with a crisp green salad, fruit chutney and artisan bread
Warm Goats cheese, pear and pecan salad with honey and lemon dressing on a bed of rocket

Main:
Pan fried chicken breast on creamy leek and potato mash with chorizo and tomato ragu
Sea Bass on crushed new potatoes with buttered spinach and balsamic glazed vine tomatoes
Goat Cheese and cranberry tart with sweet red onion sauce, new potatoes and baby carrots.

Every plate I have ever eaten here has been exceptional -without exception.

Alas, I hear that the powers that be want to 'dumb down' the menu to drag in more punters. ARE THEY MAD? If they want more punters, the restaurant needs publicity not a little chef "all day breakfast " mentality (which I believe was one of the proposals!)! This is one of the few places in Bangor where you can eat fine food -and certainly the only one at this price.

If the management makes the menu more "cost effective" what will they be left with? The sad remains of a wonderful restaurant inhabitated only by a sad businessmen too tired to go anywhere else. These guys dont know how lucky they are to have the maître d’hôtel and Chefs combined inventiveness, originality and flair for food.

Attention Management:
Dont kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, please?

If you want more income from the restaurant, advertise that you don't have to stay here to eat here -or even just adverise it at all!

Room Tip: not all rooms have direct views of the straits, ask when booking.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Recently refurbished accommodation of high quality with friendly staff and an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was there for a conference starting at 9:00 a.m. the following day so decided an overnight stay would take the pressure off. Arriving early evening the check in process was smooth and trouble free. I decided to have dinner in the excellent 1884 brasserie and was so glad I did. The food, wine and service was excellent and very good value for money. I'd certainly stay here next visit to Bangor.

Room Tip: See if you can overlook the Menai Straits and watch the sun set over Anglesey or Ynys Mon
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Management Centre as I was down for a University open day and what a wonderful place. I checked in at around 4.30pm after a long train trip down. Check in was very smooth, I filled in a form as I wanted to have free internet access in my room then kindly got shown to my room by one of the receptionists.

I was staying in the Executive room and it was a very good size with a kingsized bed and large desk which I could have my laptop and still have ample room for papers and documents. The bathroom was also fitted with a power shower which was always at the right temperature and the bed was very comfy. The view over the Menai strait was also a nice added extra. TV worked well and wifi internet was very fast and free !

Breakfast was between 8am and 10am and never busy when I went which was around 8am. It was buffet style continental breakfast and you went up and chose what you wanted from the cooked selection. The food was delicious and a wide range so certainly kept me going for the day. Filter coffee and a wide selection of teas were also on offer which you could help yourself to. Staff were friendly and always willing to help if required.

In total I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in Bangor. It is about a 10minute walk to the centre of Bangor town and closely located to many shops and amenities.

Room Tip: Try and Upgrade to an Executive room it is worth it
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is a high quality hotel on the grounds of the university. It's equipped to a very high standard and was much more than we were expecting (especially for the price).

The only thing that let us down - the description says "most rooms with views out over the straights" but ours had a view onto a grassy bank about 4 metres away. We asked to be changed and were told that they were full, we accepted that but saw hardly anyone else around.

Drove to a great wee pub in Angelsea for dinner overlooking the straights so we made do.

The beds were very comfortable, nice bathroom, great buffet breakfast and overall a really good place. We'd stay again if we're ever back there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andye10000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Eryl Mor Hotel
#4 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Black Boy Inn
Black Boy Inn
#1 of 8 in Caernarfon

Been to The Management Centre? Share your experiences!