“Average in the best way ;-)”

Y Garth Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangor
Y Garth Guest House
Ranked #4 of 24 Bangor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We had a nice stay at the Y Garth Guest House in Bangor over the bank holiday weekend. 50 Pound for a twin/double bed room including breakfast - great value! The room was clean and the shared bathroom too, however everything was furnished very basic. The beds were nice and we slept well. Les was a great host and entertained us during the breakfast with stories about his boxing career. The breakfast itself was okay as well: We are both Vegetarians and therefore there was only hash browns and baked beans beside a tiny tomato and a few mushrooms. The egg was pretty oily. However, Les made it a pleasant morning and even offered us to show us the way out of town, since we got lost on our way to the B&B. Over all: Great service, nice stay, nice rooms, okay breakfast, great value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I have stayed one night in this family guest house. Very good location, near to the beautiful pier and the university.
I felt really welcomed, the bedroom was very well equipped, with tv room, tea service, a drawer, a mirror, a very confortable bed and everything was very clean. The bathroom was beside my room and the shower had an amazing water pressure, very warm temperature. Perfect!
The breakfast with very complete (English breakfast) and the owners were really nice people, easy to talk to and had very interesting discussions.
Definitely I recommend to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I have nothing to complain about from my stay here--I was around for only one night and got in very late. Les stayed up to meet me, which I appreciate, and breakfast was very good. (God help you if you're vegetarian, though--the only option was a full English breakfast.) And the next morning Les also graciously offered to drive me to the university for my tour.

Excellent service aside, I liked the room. It was the front one, looking out onto the street. Everything was clean. The shower was warm. Even with a double and single bed, the room was spacious enough with plenty of room to move around and several spots to drop my suitcase.

The front room was a bit cold due to the massive windows, but it didn't get any worse than "chilly," I'd say. If you're worried about the cold, though, ask about a different room.

Room Tip: The front room was a bit cold due to the massive windows, so if you're concerned about that, ask...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I've stayed here a few times already and have booked some more nights. The experience has been absolutely brilliant and I couldn't fault it for anything. The owners were friendly and helpful, the house quiet and comfortable and convenient for my needs. The breakfast was also very good!
I would highly recommend this to anyone and wish the owners everything of the best

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Spotlessly clean rooms with comfortable beds - tea making facilities in room, which I really like and tv with lots of channels. Garth house is in a very central location to the town and everything is walking distance.There is a lovely breakfast included. Seems very good value for money compared with other places I have tried.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2013

The best B&B ever. Everything is within walking distance, the rooms are nice and the breakfast ist soooooo gooooood!!!! You definitely don't need anything to eat until the afternoon. It is like being in a family and Les and Rita are such nice people. Would always stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2013

At first our room appeared quite nice but then the Landlord closed the curtains and told us not to touch them as they might fall down! We had to pay CASH, immediately we dropped our bags! Then we were told that the radiator in that room was on the blink but there was a small heater provided but we must turn it off if we went out and went to bed. The ensuite was very small and so cold it was impossible to use the shower, bad enough having a wee!! We went out to get something to eat but were directed in the opposite direction to the "Town". the first pub (coincidently owned by His neice) was empty as was the next pub then we found the Pub of the Year 2011!!! My God what an awful stench as you enter, stale beer sodden into the floor and fags!! I didnt think I could stomach eating here but was hungry, however they stop serving food at 7.45pm so that was a blessing. No shops around so we had to grab snacks from a local garage, not good after a 6 hour journey. Then back to the B&B where we did manage the door with ease (so didnt need the demo from the landlord after all) As soon as we entered we were met and asked where wed been! Didnt like to say we had snacks in the bag. Didnt sleep well as our room was on ground floor, facing the main road and right next to the front door so we could hear everything that went on in the hall all night. Also the room was freezing cold, we did as we were told and switched the heater off! Wish we hadnt, even the bedding was so cold it almost felt damp. Breakfast was okay but not much choice, 1 type of juice, like it or not, weak tea or coffee in a mug, just the 1. No choice with the breakfast Full english only, mind you he did let you change 1 item. Not that impressive. We spoke to other lodgers and everyone was cold and disgruntled with the freezing ensuite and breakfast.When someone asked for something other than tea/coffee youd have thought they had asked for Quenn Bees nectar! All in all not a pleasant experience but then the whole trip to Bangor was a big dissapointment.

Room Tip: not worth asking for ensuite as far too cold to use
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business