“Most friendly and warm people in Wales!”

Y Garth Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangor
Y Garth Guest House
Ranked #2 of 24 Bangor B&B and Inns
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Most friendly and warm people in Wales!”
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I had a prolonged stay at Y Garth for the whole of the summer of 2010 and didnt want to go home. Les and Rita could not do enough for you and if their homely welcoming attitude could be bottled and sold id be a millionaire by now. The room was extremely clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were fantastic. Their local knowledge and assistance if i needed anything at all was great and i hope to stay again next year!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Marquette MI USA
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed 6 nights at the Garth while visiting area. Proprietors Les and Rita Derby provide excellent service and clearly take pride in their business. The rooms are outfitted with tea service and Rita fixes a stick-to-your-ribs full English breakfast every morning. The Garth is within walking distance to the University and stopping district. It was the perfect location for our visit! Thanks Les and Rita!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AustauschEllen
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Stayed here for one night in July, when all the students were gone and Bangor was left for dead for a couple of weeks. The Garth is located about 8-10 minutes from downtown, in a rather boring, but quiet neighborhood. There are a couple of decent-looking pubs if you walk towards the rather unimpressive pier and the Menai Strait, which is just down the road.

I had booked a single room at £30, but was upgraded for free to a twin with shared bathroom, which was nice enough. I also had a small patio out back in the yard, which would have been a plus if it wasn't raining.

Solid full breakfast was made for me in the morning while having a chat with the owner, and though I've seen better guest houses this was good value and gave nothing to complain about.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 25 April 2010

You couldn't meet a nicer and more helpful couple than Les and Rita, they go above and beyond the call of duty! We phoned ahead to book a double room but as there wasn't one available Les asked would we mind staying in a twin room for one night and then move into a double for the rest of our stay. The twin room which was at the back of the house was lovely and beautifully furbished, The next morning we were moved into a lovely bright double room with en-suite on the front of the house, The beds in both rooms were very comfortable so we enjoyed good nights sleep. Wonderful breakfast, it really set you up for the day, need I say more! Les advised on places to visit and best routes to take, very important with the price of petrol! I couldn't imagine anyone not enjoying their stay in this wonderful B&B. This is the third time that we have stayed here and there will be many more times, just brilliant!.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a few days as we were visiting Bangor. The location is on quiet road at night, but it was busy during the day, and with easy walking to the centre and the fantastic pier only five mins away. There are many other b&bs on this road, and I am pleased the Y Garth was the one I choose. We were greeted by Les on our arrival, his hospitality was very marm and accomodating. The following moring we met Rita, who was also very nice and made us a fantastic full English breakfast. Our double room with ensuite was at the front of the hotel and it was very clean and well presented and nicely decorated. We had an electric shower and it was hot and powerfull. I would recommend Y Garth for a nice break.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ColumbusCox
Boston
Reviewed 2 January 2009

My daughter and I stayed here for a few days before she went to the University in town. The location is on a busy but fairly quiet road, easy walking to the shopping district and the wonderful pier. Based on the many other b&bs on this road, I think Y Garth was the one I would choose on site. There are many b&bs in town, but very few have a web presence. This one does, just Google the name. We chose the cheapest room, but the more expensive rooms at the front were quite beautiful. Our double with ensuite was clean but in need of refurbishing, and the water in the shower would go cold if you timed your shower in the busy early breakfast period (we were above the kitchen). Our room was just above the "smoking break" porch for the employees, and there always seemed to be lots of activity there. Ask for one of the lovely rooms in front. The owners were leaving for vacation in America just as we were signing in, but I could tell the owner would be kind and helpful to guests. The single with shared bathroom was small but comfortable. Considering all things, and disregarding minor annoyances (to me) I still would highly recommend Y Garth if you find yourself overnight in Bangor and want a value room.

• Liked — Homey feel, small enough to appreciatel the personal service
  • Disliked — cheapest room needs some refurbishing and more comfortable beds
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank audhumla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Eryl Mor Hotel
Celtic Royal Hotel
Celtic Royal Hotel
#2 of 8 in Caernarfon
Ashbrook, Bangor Boutique Bed and Breakfast

Been to Y Garth Guest House? Share your experiences!