“Oh dear - what a shame.”
Review of Abbeyfield Hotel

and 1 more site!
Abbeyfield Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Bangor
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Oh dear - what a shame.”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This place could be great - and maybe on a good night with the staff in a happier mood it sometimes is: but not when I was there.
As I booked in (at about 20.30) I was told the bar would close soon: I managed to get two pimts. The woman behind the bar seemd more interested in the man chatting to her than she was in serving anyone else ( slightly embarassing for everyone). The room was small and cold and the bathroom wasn't too clean. But the person serving breakfast was very helpful giving me directions for my next destination in the area,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JegeT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night due to needing to go to Bangor for university. The room (double room) looked A little drab and run down but was incredibly clean and comfortable. The staff were lovely and helpful. We went to the pub on the night time to have a meal
And it was delicious, bar staff really lovely and would do anything to help. In the morning breakfast was fantastic, I had a full English and it was nice and hot and plenty there. Once again breakfast waitress was fantastic. From our room we could hear the trains on the line, but they didn't run really late into the night or anything so not a problem.

I forgot my hair dryer and they were more than happy to lend me one.

Overall, a pleasent stay, but could do with personal touches in the rooms as very drab. Needs a bit of a refurb!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah W
Sydney
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed two nights in September. The staff were friendly and the bar inviting, which they needed to be because it was a long way to anywhere. The place is old, a hotch potch of additions upon additions but we slept well and enjoyed a hearty breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and I went for a 3 night break in early October 2013 to Abbeyfield. We were in all honesty attracted by the price and it was, in one sense, value for money. Certainly the room was clean and the beds were comfortable, once you get there. And that was my problem. As someone with impaired mobility, I walk but not very well, I found the number of steps difficult, especially the final small flight up to the landing where our room was. This was not helped by the fire door being right on the top step which made life awkward and a little dangerous.I am surprised it passes DDA criteria, a banister and an automatic door switch would have helped.
Like others I found the landlord was not a great 'mine host' but the bar staff made up for it as they were superb. The food was brilliant, and whilst I did not sample it the Steak and Ale pie has to be seen to be believed. There are smaller building blocks in cathedrals.
Breakfast was fine but not excellent, the sausages being particularly disappointing, and I make a judgement on the quality of sausages.
If you like trains this is the place for you, the Chester Holyhead railway passing the breakfast tables close enough to grab a slice of toast!
Average as a rating is a bit unfair. Good but not great is a better comment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here with my wife and two friends for a short walking holiday in August 2013. We were attracted by the hotel's location and the very modest prices. The hotel lacks charm and the preremptory nature of the 'welcome' on our arrival was indicative of all aspects of the hotel. There is nothing to be seriously critical about; everything was just alright. The staff were generally pleasant but never overtly welcoming.The room was basic , but clean, and only about 25 yards from the main railway line to Holyhead ( This did not lead to sleepless nights as there were very few trains during the night). Breakfast was OK but no quality bread and cheap orange juiice. Dinner in the pub restaurant which forms part of the hotel was similarly OK, but quantity rather quality was the basis of the menu. Overall it was just a bit uninspiring and lacking in flair.

Room Tip: Avoid the rear corner of the hotel as that is close to the railway
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I and our 14 year old son stayed for a two night break. It was exactly what it said. An old hotel in the middle of nowhere. The people were very friendly and very much abliging. We stayed there for meals for both nights as there were nowhere else to go, it is litterely in the middle of nowhere. The food was amazing. I would recommend this hotel even down to the creaky floor boards.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I booked the hotel as it was near to Bethesda, the location for one our major walks that weekend. Very little accommodation is advertised in this area. The hotel was recommended by another walking group.
The price was right for a short stay. We arrived about 5.45 pm ,rang the reception bell, a gentleman arrived asked for name, gave us the key and told where to go. I asked what time would the bar be opening and had a reply. No warmth in greeting displayed. Our room was large, comfortable, but very outdated, however, very clean. Our friends arrived a bit later and had the same greeting and asked the same question, to be replied, would be open if he didnt keep him talking.

The restuarant had good atmosphere. The meals were substantial and hardly any came with vegetables, which were an extra. The bar staff were very hospitable. Breakfast was ok, very rarely do we only get given sliced standard white toast.

After our 2day stay we came to pay the bill, a different receptionist, but the same quiet unwelcoming service.

I would love to go to businesses that make me feel welcome in North Wales. To sum up our walk weekend experiences. Our group returned to one of the official car parks signed off the Main Street in Bethesda, to be met by a gentleman, who in no uncertain manner told us that walkers should park in the car park opposite and leave this one for the residents. Please could Bethesda make this apparent on their signs.

Room Tip: Do not have the rooms that back onto the railway
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pat W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Premier Inn Bangor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanddeiniolen
The Anglesey Arms
The Anglesey Arms
#4 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Abbeyfield Hotel? Share your experiences!