“Good curry in Bangor”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good curry in Bangor”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Quiet, but it was was early evening on a wet Sunday might and we were the only people in the restaurant. Having said that, the food was very good, service prompt and staff knowledgeable about dishes and very helpful. Would recommend.

Bangor Gwynedd UK
“Nice and Tasty”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A nice restaurant with pleasant workers. Really enjoyed the food. It was also very quiet which was handy. I will go back for a repeat visit.

Bangor, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have gone to Spicy Vujon many times and i'm never disappointed. The staff are all very friendly and the food is lovely, served on time and not too expensive. Would definitely recommend going!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank AshRai28
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great meal”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Amazing food, nice atmosphere, great staff and great service are all available here, definitely one of the best if not the best, places to eat in Bangor

3 Thank Jamie S
“Fantastic service. Gorgeous food. Affordable prices. We love it!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been dining at the Spicy Vujon on a monthly basis with my boyfriend and friends for over 2 years now, so you could call me an expert in the field! He loves it, I love it, and we genuinely believe it is one of the best Indian/Bangladeshi restaurants in the country, never mind Bangor! Here's why:

Location: Conveniently located on the high street it is within easy walking distance of anywhere in Bangor, so you don't have to worry about driving/parking etc. This is a major plus for Bangor, because there is a severe lack of quality/smart restaurants in the area. If you want a nice evening meal and a dressier atmosphere, the Spicy Vujon is the obvious choice. Unless you want to take your date to Wetherspoons!! (I think not).

Decor/Atmosphere: The restaurant has a plain exterior, walk inside however and you are greeted with beautiful calming decor. This is one of my favourite things about the restaurant, you can forget for a while that you are even in Bangor. The soothing music and elegant mood lighting create the perfect relaxed environment. I love the feature waterfall. The restaurant is the perfect size and layout that makes you feel cosy and not like your crammed in with the other diners. The acoustics are such that you are never drowned out by music or other table's chatter, which I often find a problem at other places!!

Excellent Service: The service is the ULTIMATE reason why I come back time and time again. It's fantastic and how every restaurant should be! When you enter the restaurant you a greeted by either the smartly dressed waiters or manager, who often take your coat to hang up if you are a lady :) You are then shown to your seat, or you can request a certain table if you fancy, and are promptly handed a menu whilst your drink orders are taken. Every staff member is extremely polite and professional. Your waiter continues to check on you throughout your meal to ensure you have everything you need and are enjoying yourself, so you can easily request extras or a free table jug of water without having to wait around to grab attention. Some comments have complained that waiters cannot understand English, this is ridiculous, I have always been understood and have had lovely conversations with our waiters. When you leave you are presented with the bill at your table and you can pay by cash or card or split the order payment up between friends with no hassle at all. You are even hot towels and chocolate mints, and if you're very lucky, a free shot! Then when you leave you are personally thanked and waved off by the staff. Fantastic.

The Food: The menu is fantastic, it has every dish you would expect from an Indian but also a few specials/different dishes for a truly unique experience. The menu also includes a choice of British dishes such as fish and chips, which is excellent say if you're out with younger family members, or fussy friends! I have tried a number of things on the menu but my favourite ever meal is the Vujon Chicken Korma. It is a special Korma exclusive to the restaurant which includes pieces fruit is a luxuriously sweet and coconutty sauce! It is an absolute treat and I love it! I wish Kormas everywhere could be this sweet, it's delicious mmmmmm....
Sorry you lost me there, but anyway, if you aren't a Korma fan and want something spicy and savoury there a plenty of options. I have been many times with parties of 8 or more people and everyone has raved about how tasty and good quality their meals are. The serving sizes are also extremely generous, it's always a struggle to fit it all in!
We always get a starter of poppadoms and chutney tray which is delicious and a good sharer. We also normally get a side of naan breads, which are very fresh and high quality, I like the coconut one best.
Finally you are given the desert menu, it has a selection of traditional deserts and ice creams, however I'm normally too full so I like to get an 'Irish coffee' - A creamy coffee with a dash of whiskey to finish ;)
For drinks generally I always get the house red, very nice!!

The Price: The thing we can never get over is the great prices, something invaluable especially when you're a poor student! For two meals of generously portioned starter, main course, desert, side of naan, and a bottle of house red we normally pay between £35- £40 for two of us, and we think that is fantastic. Of course drinks are what ups the price so you could opt out to save even more, but I personally like a good tipple with my evening meal!

Occasions: I have been to many birthday meals of friends at the Spicy Vujon, in fact this was how I found out about it! I have also personally booked a meal for my course leaving do of about 11 people, and this went down without a hitch with some very satisfied course-mates. Very easy to book (I just rang up) and we were all served quickly and efficiently at the same time. There is nothing worse than your friend getting served food 15 minutes before you- no chance of that here due to the very professional service.

And so concludes my review. I hope it was helpful to anyone considering going to the Spicy Vujon. I gave an honest account of my experience every time I dine at the restaurant. I highly recommend this place (and do to all my family and friends) because it is truly rare in it's quality and service. It's a great place to relax and treat yourself, or your lady ;) Why not give it a try, maybe it will become your favourite restaurant too!

-Jemima Labisch