“GREAT choice for vegans”
Review of Kyffin Cafe Deli

Kyffin Cafe Deli
Ranked #13 of 164 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$0 - US$11
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'm a vegan and this is the only place I can have a proper meal when I'm out for lunch in Bangor. It's always really lovely, staff are so friendly and attentive and there is always something new and exciting on the menu. I've introduced a few friends to this place and they're always really enchanted by the Aladin's cave of treats and chocolates and jars of tea (they have every type you can imagine and then some!). It's a very special interior that has to be seen to be appreciated. Going for tea and cake is shockingly difficult as a vegan and something I really miss, and it's good that Kyffin are happy to readdress this issue! But it is sad to turn up and find that the vegan option has sold-out already, as has occasionally been the case for me. I know the non-vegan cakes on offer can be made in vegan form (sunflower spread instead of butter, apple sauce instead of egg etc) so it seems a shame not to subsitute more of the cakes for vegan versions, especially as they are home-made. However, when there are still vegan cakes left, they will always be different to the ones I had last time, so it's never boring, and they always, always taste amazing! Thanks again Kyffin for your dedication to vegetarian/vegan food and a beautiful atmosphere to enjoy it in!

1  Thank Cofidre13
jo p, Owner at Kyffin Cafe Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you so much for this fantastic review.

We are very committed to making as much as our food as we can accessible to as many people as possible. We have just made our first sugar free cakes for example which seem to have gone down well.

I am sorry if sometimes the vegan cakes are sp popular they sell out! It's the same with our gluten free cakes - too popular for their own good.

I have some great vegan cakes but many I have tried don't work out to the standard we like to have for the cafe so I promise to keep trying.

I am working now in India & Nepal where vegan baking is very popular. I'll try and glean some new ideas.

Thanks again for you wonderfully encouraging words,

Jo

Reviewed 30 April 2014

What a treat to find this lovely, quirky little place. There has obviously been much thought put into the premises and the food. So delightful to experience a place that is the antithesis of the national chains of cafes and restaurants. Very attentive service and tasty, unusual nourishing food. Great range of superb teas. Sublime music. Will certainly return.

3  Thank Pamela W
jo p, Owner at Kyffin Cafe Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Many thanks for your review. I am delighted you have found us and appreciate what we are trying to do here. Hope to see you soon,

Jo

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Went for lunch (I wanted cooked food, not sandwiches etc.) and the only vegan choice offered was the Mezze. This is a little bit of lots of salads, which sounded ok. I checked with the server that it as ok for vegans and they said it was. Half way through eating I found some feta cheese in one of the tomotoes and I wasn't 100% sure of another salad that tasted like it had pesto in. This didn't give me confidence in what I was eating. These issues aside there isn't enough choice offered for vegans. Vegetarians should be ok with the choice.

jo p, Owner at Kyffin Cafe Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your review. Kyffin does have a commitment to vegan food. We serve vegan lunches - usually two out of the four choices each day are vegan, along with vegan cakes and chocolate. I am so sorry that my staff made a mistake in including the tomato and feta salad along with your mezze. There was no pesto in the food and none of the other three salads or home made pickles contained anything else that was no totally vegan.

Again, I am sorry for this error on our part.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have now been to Kyffin few times, each one offering the same experience.
Firstly, the food doesn't taste of anything, it's bland and just not good. It makes me wonder : Does the cook even own a cook book? Vegetarian food can be so good, its a shame this restaurant doesn't deliver.
Secondly, the food is constantly lukewarm. I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet health and safety requirements. Also they claim they serve freshly prepared food but they reheat it in the microwave. So how is that freshly made?
Thirdly, its very difficult to find the bathroom even after asking the staff for directions. They definitely should have some kind of sign saying on which floor the toilet is.
Fourthly, when you pass the restaurant on the street there is no information that this cafe is vegetarian. If there is no sign informing me of that, then why there is no meat option? Why do they want to lie to possible customers?
Finally, the food is very expensive. And that would be acceptable if the quality was better. But for this food that's very over the top. But not only is the food expensive, everything there is too pricey for what they sell.
Therefore, I do not recommend and I won't be coming back.

3  Thank plantwa
jo p, Owner at Kyffin Cafe Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you for your review of Kyffin. I am so sorry that you have not had good experiences of being with us. I will try too address your concerns.

A typical menu: Spiced lentil Lasagne; Broccoli & Apple Tart; Mezze with humus and chilli pate; Curried Cauliflower soup; Carrot & coriander soup. All pretty tasty to me.

I am sorry the food wasn't hot enough for you. I do hope that you bought this to the attention of staff to either replace or reheat for you. This would only have taken a minute. Before serving the temperature is taken of every meal, using a digital thermometer. The temperature is 80 degrees, higher than that H&S state is necessary when it comes from the oven.

I make the food every morning. It comes out of the oven around 10am. As lunch time is several hours later, it is necessary to reheat the food for service. The unpredictable nature of a lunch time, in a small cafe makes it impossible to serve a tart for example, which requires 45 minutes cooking, straight from the main oven for every customer.

I am sorry to have to ask staff where the toilet is on each of your visits. There is one internal door in the cafe on the ground floor, which is adjacent to the counter where we prepare food. I am sure my staff directed you towards it. There is a male/female sign on the door. Not sure what else I can do.

I suppose we don't tell people what we don't do, only what we do do! My staff are fully informed not only of the days menu, but also it's ingredients. Our service style is to explain our menu at the point of ordering as well as it being listed on three blackboards including one outside the cafe.

As you haven't enjoyed the experience of being in Kyffin, I am sure you didn't feel your visits were value for money. I can't answer your feeling everything is pricey that is a personal, value judgement.

Again, I am so sorry your experience of Kyffin wasn't a happy one.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Lovely place with vegetarian/vegan small daily menu. Nice staff, unusual decor with plenty of food gifts on the shelves. I always go for the Mezze, as you get a bit of every salad made as well as a nice chunk of homemade bread and falafel etc. Some beautiful tastes.
Also, I have just discovered their vegan chocolate cake - my goodness!

jo p, Owner at Kyffin Cafe Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your review. It's lovely. You might want to call y to try our new vegan cherry cake....gorgeous!