“A pleasant stay”
Review of Adelpha Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangor
Adelpha Guesthouse
Ranked #20 of 24 Bangor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed here when visiting some friends and had a lovely stay. It is located a 2-minute taxi ride from the station and you can easily walk into town (about 5-10 minutes).
Check-in was fast and the owner was very kind and helpful in recommending places to eat and places to visit-Beaumaris and Caernafon Castle are a must if you have time! If you come out of the guesthouse and turn left, walk for 10 minutes, the Bangor Pier is also well worth a visit.
The room was simply furnished but most importantly clean!! There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room, with tv and freeview. The breakfast was fab....a good selection! (Have the full English!)
I would definitely stay here if you are looking for a simple, comfortable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank denise s

Reviewed 7 October 2012

This is a fairly typical B&B that is situated on a main road that’s about a 10/15 minute walk from Bangor train station. Our party of five stayed here as we were on our way to Festival No.6, which was taking place in Portmeirion. If you have a lot of gear like we did then you might want to consider getting a taxi to make life easier.

The initial greeting at the B&B was friendly and we were quickly shown to our respected rooms. Two of the rooms were situated on the first floor and the other one on the ground. Our room was quite spacious but also quite basic. There was a double bed in it and a single bed. In comparison to the room, the bathroom was quite small with a shower cubicle that a larger person might struggle a bit inside.

We decided to pay on the night we arrived to ensure we weren’t held up in the morning as we needed to catch a shuttle bus to the festival. Whilst my partner and the other members of the party were sorting out the payments, I closed the curtains as it was around 9pm when we arrived. Like many aspects of this B&B, the ill fitting curtains and cheap rail made it a bit of a struggle to close them properly. Whilst I attempted this leaning over the bed, my hand slipped and I accidentally broke one of the glass lamp shades attached to the wall. They were only small so it didn’t take long to clear up the glass. I decided I would tell the owners about this in the morning.

We’d forgotten our confirmation booking for the shuttle bus and were hoping that the owners would be able to print this out for us from an email and were a little disappointed that they were unable to do this (luckily we managed to get on the bus in the end).

There are a couple of pubs nearby as well, we went to the Ship Launch where a quiz was taking place and it was perfectly pleasant, they even fed us on free chips and pizza.

The breakfast was the usual affair of an English breakfast with cereals and tea and coffee. Not all of the party slept that well as the downstairs rooms are subject to a bit of noise from the comings and going of people and the door opening and closing.

Just before breakfast I took the opportunity to explain about the broken lamp shade and was thanked for my honesty, I even showed one of the owners how it happened and what I’d done with the glass etc. After the breakfast, whilst getting ready to leave, I was approached and told to pay £30 for the breakage. This was essentially a cheap looking, small lamp shade. I was quite taken aback. This clearly left a sour taste in the mouth and added to what I considered to be an already too expensive price for a room (£65) which was now £95!. We left quite soon after that with my wallet £30 lighter. I thought establishments like this might have had this sort of thing covered under some insurance? Maybe not.

Overall I would say this was an overpriced and very average place to stay and the initial friendliness of the hosts soon evaporated after the lamp shade incident. With the festival looking to be on again, maybe more people might consider staying here? I definitely won’t be and would look for a better, cheaper option and something a lot closer to the train station.

Room Tip: Try not to break anything.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelPad
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I went to Bangor for a friends wedding and the owner kindly ungraded me to a huge room at the front of the house. She was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The breakfast was great too!! Reccomend this to anyone that wants a cheap, clean and nice place to stay in Bangor.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank manisha d
Reviewed 26 May 2010

Myself and freinds stayed in Dilfan guest house recently when we attened Radio 1's big weekend and enjoyed our stay very much! the room's that we stayed in where great value for money as they were spacious, extremly clean and comfortable. The location of Dilfan was great for us as it was very central and close to town which made it easy for us to get the bus from the town to radio 1's big weekend in vanol estate. The breakfast we had was by what i can only describe as delicious and defenatly cured my hangover!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank FIisher
Reviewed 21 May 2010

I have recently stayed at Dilfan guest house with other members of my family and found the experience most enjoyable. The warm and relaxed atmospher was perfect for a large family like my own! The owner was happy to help with any queries we had with Bangor and activities we could do on our holiday which was extremly helpfull as we had not visited Bangor before, but due to our lovely stay we shall defenatly be visting the area and Dilfan guest house again!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Simm0nds_family
Reviewed 6 November 2009

This is a bit of a cheat in a way, as I ended up leaving the place to find a much better alternative in Caernarfon. Maybe I was unlucky but even at a bargain basement £25 (£30 with breakfast) I reckon this was a shocker. The landlady was not there and a young girl, probably her daughter, showed me to the room, which initially I was just glad to have since everywhere in Bangor was full that day, in advance of University Open Day on the Friday. The room was pretty pokey, but it was as I looked more closely that its unpleasantness became more obvious. Peeling paper, musty smell, unexplained large brown soiling mark on the carpet by the bed, no remote for the TV, light over the sink in the room not working.... There was a separate bathroom that looked quite decent...but when I went in to run a bath (which was what I really wanted, having climbed Snowdon earlier) there was no plug! That was the last straw and I went downstairs to ask for a refund. This the girl did, with very bad grace and virtually slammed the door behind me. It was me thinking good riddance as well, for sure, and I would rather sleep in my car than visit Dilfan again. Incidentally, it may well be that it goes off the radar anyway as there wasa For Sale sign at the front.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2009

V pleasant room, very clean. Landlady v friendly and willing to do me a cooked breakfast at 7am on a Saturday to enable me to make an early start to Snowdon via public transport. V pleasant location - 5 minutes walk to Bangor's impressive pier, with two Good Beer Guide entries (Boatyard and Tap & Spile) in between. 15 minute walk to the railway station; 5 minute walk to the bus stop for Llanberis (for Snowdon). Would defnintely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo