“Highly Recomended”

Price range: US$1 - US$6
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Whistlestop is a bijou cafe half way down Bangor pier. Its signature dishes are sea food chowder, Menai straits mussels in garlic and white wine with sourdough bread, welsh rarebit, burgers, pankakes and Bara brith. It seats 8 inside and 20 outside with stunning views of Snowdonia and the Menai Straits. All breads, burgers cakes and bara brith are home made by the proprietor.
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
“Highly Recomended”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

After spending the day in Bangor, Wales to visit family we all decided to get a quick bite before our return home. Fantastic, fresh fish cooked brilliantly. A nice cup of tea to give us a good warm up from the January weather followed by a brilliant meal. A fan of fine dining...highly recomended!

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank GlennWaldron1961

Deganwy, null, United Kingdom
“A welcome retreat from the wind.”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

A fantastic seafood chowder with king prawns to die for, plus an amazing homemade burger. A cosy shelter from the blustery weather and a warm welcome from Terry made it a perfect place for a cup of tea and a good plate of home-made food. Would recommend this for its delicious food, its warm cup of teas and friendly service. Perfect little café on Bangor pier.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Hannah G
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“A gem of a find on Bangor Pier”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Imagine a glorious sunny evening on Bangor Pier after a mixed afternoon of unsettled weather. We decide to go for a pre-dinner stroll and take some pictures. As we stroll we stumble across a cafe kiosk still open after 6pm. A cup of tea would be good on the way back, we thought. But when we realised that you could get fresh mussels there, cooked to order, and enjoy them in the tiny cabin, we decided, well, I did, to have an early starter. And what delicious mussles they were! Cooked simply in a garlicky wine broth, they were as plump and perfect as mussels can be. We'd just come back from Brittany, and had mussels several times there, but these freshly harvested Menai mussels were plumper and tastier than any we had in Brittany. I ended up having to share my portion with my other half, who had thought he didn't want any... he changed his mind when he saw and smelt mine. Thanks, Terry - you left us with one of the abiding memories of a lovely holiday in North Wales.

5 Thank Ruth S
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
“Hurrah for Bara Brith”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I'd planned to have tea at the pier-end tea rooms at the end of a day's walk, but they were closed. On the way back along this beautiful pier I spotted the Whistlestop, and couldn't believe it was a café. I only wanted a cup of tea and a slice of bara brith, but I was amazed when I saw the extent of Terry's food range. My home-made fruit loaf slice was excellent (hurrah for bara brith!), and I went away with a whole loaf to take back from holiday. Terry was such a lovely chap to talk with. He told me all about the history of the pier, especially the events leading up to its brilliant restoration in the 1980s, and how he came to be there. I shall long remember my visit to the Whistlestop and have recommended it to many friends.

1 Thank Colin U
Preston, United Kingdom
“Welcome shelter from the rain”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

First time on Bangor Pier brought us past this little gem. On the way back from end of pier the heavens opened so we sought shelter here. I had the mussels and my wife had the sea food chowder and both were excellent. The mussels come from the Menai strait so were plump and fresh. Terry, the owner, spent his time happily chatting away to us, his only customers, and it was a great way to while away 45 minutes. Well worth the visit

1 Thank Liam1963