“Lovely pub”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Under new management since Jan 16
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Came here for a evening meal on Monday night. Was pleasantly surprised with the level of service. The waitress was very friendly and welcoming. She offered to take our coats as we arrived, pointed out the specials board, sat us on a nice spacious table and took our drinks order straight away. Lovely selection of meals available and some great specials on the board. There was an offer on which was in aid of St Patrick's day - Irish stew and a drink for £5. Excellent value and tasted fantastic. After we had finished our meals we were asked if we would like to see the dessert menu. This had some nice homemade sweets on it. The waitress informed us of some special desserts as well which were homemade double choc gateaux and strawberries and cream gateaux... yum. Great service, fantastic food and homely atmosphere. I would very much recommend this pub.

There are newer reviews for The Boatyard Inn

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Let's start with what's good. The cooked breakfast on the first morning was terrific, complete with black pudding. The staff are friendly (if a little chaotic at times). The ambience is relaxed and homely. That's where it ends.

We arrived (after a 260+ mile trip) and checked in. We'd booked a double room and had received email confirmation but the BY had no record of our reservation "this is why I don't do computers" was the response. Fortunately rooms were available and we were shown to a family room with a double bed and two singles. A bit tatty and old fashioned with peeling wallpaper etc. we were paying £60 which isn't expensive but the room was disappointing nonetheless. The room wasn't ensuite and it was pointed out to us where the bathroom was.

The communal bathroom which serves 3 bedrooms on the first floor was very shoddy. Carpeted (yuk!), a couple of old dried bits of soap in a plastic dish, toilet roll holder hanging off the wall and stained bar towels on the radiator. A tired looking bath towel hanging by the side of the basin, trailing on the floor. The shower was so uninviting we didn't bother with it during our stay. Our bedroom only had one (very small) bath towel.

5 minutes later we were asked to change rooms because there was another booking in the original room we had been given. We were then showed to a twin room, half the size, cluttered but functional. There was a bedside lamp but it was not by the bed, was wobbly and had no bulb! Again there was only a very small towel provided for the twin accommodation.

The TV remote controls didn't work at all but we did get help from the bar staff. General faffing about with batteries etc. (our own spare ones!) resulted in us receiving a picture but no remote control to operate the TV.

If you want a good night's sleep - don't come to the Boatyard. We expected some pub noise of course. The main problem is that all the doors of the bedrooms and the bathroom stick and bang when they close - it's impossible to close (or open ) them quietly hence a constant banging goes on throughout the with guests coming and going and using the bathroom. It was horrendous.

Dinner the night before we left was good. However, I wasn't sure about the need for fish pie (with mash topping) to be served with new potatoes and chips and I would challenge any chef to describe peas as "buttered greens". We asked if we could put our meal on the room bill: "we don't do that..." 5 minutes later when the bill came we were asked if we wanted to pay our room bill at the same time since we were checking out the following morning. Confused?!

I've left the 'best' til last. We were really looking forward to our breakfast before we left as it had been the highlight of our otherwise dreary stay. When we'd checked in we'd been asked what time we wanted breakfast on each morning and had confirmed 8:00 for day 2. What a disappointment! No-one was in the kitchen or breakfast room and hence NO BREAKFAST!

We have left tired, hungry and disgruntled.

1  Thank Lori_83_12
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Took my girlfriend here for a meal on Valentines Day and was not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful, the service was fast and prompt, and the food was delicious and great value for money. I would happily eat here again, or maybe just visit for a pint or two (the ale selection was quite brilliant)!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Visited on a busy Friday evening with my daughter, prior to a uni visit the following day. We were booked into another hotel nearby but after driving past the Boatyard we were tempted to eat there due to the Whitby Scampi. Despite being very busy, we were able to get a table and were informed there was a wait of around 20 mins. I asked whether a starter could be served quicker as I am a diabectic. I was assured that the pate would be served fairly quick, this was the case and it was beautiful, both in presentation and taste. Must admit the main meal arrived 35 minutes later, large portion of fish and chips, not so large on the scampi. Both were tasty and enjoyable. Service by the young ladies was good and friendly as required. When leaving we spoke with the chef who was cleaning the specials board, he mentioned that he was 2 people short and apologiesd if we had a wait, this was not normally the case. Would I go back? Certainly, good value, pleasant surroundings and nice people. Would I recommend? Yes, go and try, I am sure you will be pleased.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

friendly and welcoming atmosphere. all the staff made me feel very welcome, especially Jodie and kayley the waitresses and Maureen who was looking after the place while the landlady was away. the food was fantastic. The chef steve was very accommodating and created perfect dishes to suit my taste. The pub quiz hosted on a Wednesday night by Chris, another great member of staff, was fantastic! overall a great stay at the boatyard.

1  Thank steven y