“A warm compensatory welcome and improved facilities”
Review of The Boatyard Inn

The Boatyard Inn
Ranked #20 of 161 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$5 - US$27
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Under new management since Jan 16
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We were happy to return to the Boatyard Inn with the promise of complementary main meals to make up for our disappointment earlier in the year. The staff welcomed us back and charmingly took our orders with no quibbling or bitterness for the dissatisfaction which we had expressed last time. The dinner we received was good (I had asked for vegetables instead of chips which didn't quite happen) and the taste of everything was very good. As ever, the price honest and reflective of the quality.

Since my last review improvement to the accommodation at the Boatyard is underway. As yet, only the bathroom has started its facelift but I'm happy to report that the carpet has gone! The toilet roll holder still hangs inelegantly from the wall but I was assured that this was in hand. It struck me that perhaps the owners are reluctant to spend the money on the rooms which I think is a great pity as this could be the top venue in Bangor to offer pub, restaurant and accommodation to match. As previously reviewed, the pub has a terrific atmosphere and quirky boatyard charm with excellent views. On this occasion we were treated to a visiting French choir who sang acapella in the pub while we ate in restaurant - terrific!

We hope to visit again soon and look forward to being shown improved accommodation - we'd wholeheartedly be able to recommend all three aspects of this establishment if that were the case.

There are newer reviews for The Boatyard Inn

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my daughter wanted quick snack so we walked from bangor town to this local pub we didnt fancy kfc or wetherspoons so
On enetering the quiet pub we were greeted by a polite and smiley blonde lady who was doing her office work sitting in the restauraunt! (She must hve been the manager)
drinks where ordered quickly and was given the menu to look at...
I ordered a chicken/bacon baguette and chips!! Daughter had the tuna both where freshly done and
Very hot, tasty and plentifull
With a lovely fresh side salad!
Both of us really enjoyed it
Quick service and most of all was left to enjoy it rather than someone coming over to re ask if everythin ok all the time(with past experiences in other pubs and restaurants) it can be quit annoying!
Very nice old fashiond pub with a view overlooking the straits
Just perfect!
Thank you boatyard!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Having visited North Wales for a long weekend we came across this little pub by chance driving through Bangor. Saw they were advertising their Sunday carvery and decided we would dine there. We were far from disappointed. Beautiful medium cooked roast beef. Pork loin and turkey to choose from with roasties and all the trimmings. The meat was dished out in decent portions (unlike some branded places can be) and the atmosphere was very calming and friendly. The staff were professional but delightful too. Would recommend this place highly to anyone visiting.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We came to the boatyard inn this evening because I'd heard off some locals how much they enjoy it, we had some fantastic food in a relaxed environment with superb service! What else can you ask for?! Just as we where settling up and leaving a beautiful folk group came in and starting playing! It was wonderful, we will definitely be back! Thanks for a great evening!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The menu looked lovely. My daughter & I were taking a 3 day break just before Easter. On the first night we decided to try Bangor Cuisine. We did not refer to Trip Advisor prior to our meal, which in hindsight was foolish.
I could take you through the sordid evening blow by blow which could become a comic piece!
My starter was Whitebait. When it was eventually served it had been deep fried in rancid oil. In fairness , I did point this out and the management took this off the bill. We should have left before the main course. We didn't . Others did after waiting well over an hour before being told their main order had sold out.
I ordered sticky salmon. I received trout ( I think) cooked in Kung Po sauce served on a bed of boil in a bag rice with microwaved frozen veg. £17

1  Thank KTJ_55
lkm_11, Manager at The Boatyard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Customer,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for your experience at our establishment.
Upon your arrival we did mention that there would be a delay on the food service due to the high level of customers. We provided you with a round of drinks on the house to compensate for the delay as well as personal apologies from the waiting staff and the management who explained that there was a new chef in the kitchen as well as an unexpected rush of customers at that time. Please also note that each meal is freshly prepared to order which in peak periods can add to a delay.

We can assure you that oil is changed regularly and was done on the Monday prior to your visit, therefore approximately 24 hours previously. We checked with other customers who had also had whitebait that evening and they all said it was delicious and had no complaints.

Lastly regarding your main course of 'Sticky Salmon', we use local suppliers and we can both guarantee you that it was definitely not trout. We do not stock frozen vegetables or boil in a bag rice; all our meals are made to order using fresh local produce.

Again, please accept our apologies from all here at The Boatyard. Although we are disappointed and unsettled by your unsatisfactory experience with us; we would like to re-iterate again that our food is made fresh to order and our kitchen staff were under a lot of strain due to the unexpected rush.

We hope that your meal will not deter you from visiting again; we would like to provide you with the opportunity to see the true quality of our home cooked, well presented food alongside our professional and welcoming service.

Yours,