“Go somwehere else”

Ranked #16 of 24 Bangor B&B and Inns
Meirionnydd : Cymru ~ Wales
“Go somwehere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

The Menai calls itself a hotel, but it is more like a hostel. I stayed here for 2 nights and will never go back again. There are some good things about this hotel - the location is good for the station, and there is some parking, a TV with good choice of channels and free tea and coffee - but that was as good as it gets.
The room was £90 a night had 3 single beds which creaked every time you moved, there were sweets on the floor from a previous guest as well as old receipts in the drawers. The window in the bedroom would not closed and there is a sign saying not to open the window further because it could fall out!! As a result we were too warm during the day and frozen at night.
There were two members of staff - a woman who was lovely and could not be more helpful and a man who was miserable. They are a family and there are children (or could be just the one) in the building, as we found out at 8am when one was running up and down the corridors as we tried to sleep. You can hear the noise from the pub below from the top floor, so if you want an early night you might want some earplugs. Breakfast was basic - bread for toast, cereal and out-of-date milk and dry pastries.
Worst of all was the night we were locked out. The first day we arrived we had tried to get in touch with staff without success, so had to go to he pub downstairs to be let in, so we weren't hopeful about getting hold of someone. We got back at around 2am and we tried and tried to get the attention of the staff who live in the building - we used the intercom, the main doorbell, the pub doorbell and called the phone number, but nobody came. We tried every half hour until 6am when someone, who was in a foul mood, finally let us in. This place calls itself a hotel, and in my mind there should be someone available all night, or at least provide an emergency contact number, even hostels have night staff. The man who came to the door was clearly angry at being woken up and unapologetic that nobody had come to let us in and left us outside for 3 hours in the freezing cold. We saw him the next day and he didn't say anything to us about it.
Another thing that annoyed us - this is a hotel in Wales, but it had England flags on it. There is nothing to make you feel you in Wales, and from experience there are other places nearby which will give you a nice warm Welsh welcome.
I'd say avoid this place and either find a friendly B&B or stick to a chain hotel where you at least get your money's worth,

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Eirianwen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Spent two night were well looked after by the staff it can get a bit noisy some nights with the music and students over all it was good and if you like spicy food try their hottest chilli in Bangor if you can eat it all you can eat anything will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Thomas E
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I kinda ignored the other reviews before I booked which is very stupid really. Why should I think it would be different for me?! I'm in room 10 on the top floor for two nights but I think I will check out in the morning.... there is a very very loud punk band playing in the bar downstairs and they will play until 11:30pm. Strike 1. Then the heating doesn't work. Strike 2. Just been to the bathroom, the hairdryer is hanging dangerously off the wall, the pipes rattle and just about been cleaned recently. Third strike. Not cheap either. Shoddy. Big room. Great view. Central location.

Room Tip: Room 10 is huge. Top floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jenny R

Travellers are raving about these Bangor hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

From bangor station, 5 min drive away, greatly located. When arrived, greeted nicely and attended to quickly, fast service. Room was shown to us. Everything we needed to know was covered. Room was spacious clean and well furnished with tea and coffie supplys, a fridge and pleant of soaps and towels. Spare bed and extra blankets were also avalible. Entertainment was provided in the bar area downstars. Clubs and other bars were with in easy reach. Cheack out time is from 10:00am and break fast was provided. Although the continental breakfast was not to its expectations. Low standards of arrangement, and hygiene. Lack of cultery and tables not maintained. Other then that though it was good :)

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank jenelopytash10
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

The room was a good size and the bathroom was nice. The mattress was pretty comfortable however the sheets and blankets were a bit thin and scratchy nylon-y fabrics.
It is a budget hotel though - generally I was pretty impressed until we had breakfast!

Breakfast gets laid out at 3 in the morning, before the staff leave - there are no staff at the hotel in the morning, you check out by posting your keys through a whole.
The breakfast is really poor, instant coffee, only whole milk - no choice, cheap and really sweet yogurts, sliced bread and the cheese they put out is that nasty rubber burger cheese! It was horrible!

Because there are no staff in the hotel in the mornings people just leave their mess all over the breakfast room and no one is there to clear it up so plates are piled up on tables and everything is left out in the open. It is really unacceptable.

I've never known a hotel where there aren't any staff in the morning! Don't know hat you would do if there was a problem.

If you do stay - go out for breakfast!

Room Tip: don't have breakfast!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonMissy_c
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

The staff were lovely and friendly. However when we got to our room it was dusty and rather warm and we could not open the window as it has a chain on it. So for out first night it was rather cold even though we had a few extra blankets a duvet would have been nice and the beds are not overly comfortable. On our second night it was too hot and once again we could not open the window. The food their is good, and their is a lot of variety and is also cheap. however at night it does get noisy there were a lot of doors banging up till 2am. Breakfast was good, but their could have been more.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Wales191
Far corner of Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Family came to visit so I stayed here with my parents and my cousin, her husband and their little one stayed at mine.

Good value for money hotel with really nice staff (hard to find these days!) that I'm going to send all my friends to when they come to visit - though I'm tempted to give them my little flat and me stay here instead!

Staff were friendly and welcoming, with the more personal touch that I prefer from a hotel. It felt like I'd known them for ages and was a local to the place. I couldn't get the TV remote to work but it wasn't a problem for the staff, George, he was really helpful and attentive but within minutes I realised it was me that was doing it wrong!
Room
Had a triple room with my parents which was spacious and more than fine for the 3 of us (except for my dads snoring...) Bathroom was nice with a good shower - always important to me. Had a good view towards Anglesey too.
Food/Breakfast
We had dinner in the pub which is part of the hotel. It was good pub food, we had the specials which are good value.
Breakfast was also good, it's in a room with a gorgeous view of the Menai Straits and Anglesey. It's a self-service continental which is the same as I've had in most hotels in Europe - yoghurts, toast, crossaints, cereals etc.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bint86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Premier Inn Bangor Hotel
#4 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to The Menai Hotel? Share your experiences!