“Basic Bat Tree” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 24 Bangor B&B and Inns
Hampshire, England
“Basic Bat Tree”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2008

I read a review about this hotel written in 2006 and hoped the problems mentioned would have been resolved. Unfortunately there appears to be no change from that vist. They still only accept cash on arrival, the cleaning was adequate in the bathroom but unsatsfactory in the bedroom, and the breakfast was obviously produced using the cheapest ingredients possible. On the plus side the rooms were warm and the showers excellent. However, I would not stay there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone else - I hope that Bangor has better to offer at that price.

• Liked — Position
  • Disliked — Breaffast, Cleaning, impersonal atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2008

Friendly staff, but it's all a little bit run down. Room we were in was mostly clean, but cobwebs on the ceiling (and the associated spider every now and again). Damp in the bathroom didn't look too good either. One or two holes in the sheets.

Breaky was OKish for a fry up, athough the sausage looked a tad Tesco Value-esque. I'd stick to the scrambled eggs, tomato and bacon (mushrooms tinned) if I were you. Instant coffee.

Good location, close to town, the University and the seafront. Would recommend The Boatyard just along the way for food and a pint.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
catduck
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

We had a huge choice, but picked this because of the name, we both grow herbs, (legal ones!). The lady working there, Stephanie, was lovely. She booked us in, explained the rules clearly and showed us the room. It was basic, but clean and tidy, with tea and coffee facilities, plenty of storage and a tv, (no remote). No bedside lamp, which would have been nice, but for £25 per person per night with full English breakfast I wasn't that fussed. When we picked up our bags from the car, Stephanie warned us not to drink the water as there was a problem with it across north wales, but it was ok if boiled. She gave us some bottled water for teeth etc, and advised us that if we wanted a quiet meal freshly cooked to go left towards the pier, the right into town was for those who didn't mind frozen meals and noisy nightlife! - well it was saturday night! We took her advice and went to a lovely pub called the Boatyard and had a very pleasant evening. Breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious the following morning, tinned mushrooms, but that was the only fault. Great coffee too. We had a wonderfully relaxing time and would recommend it as a good base. Also, children go free, worth remembering if you are on a budget.

• Liked — Clean and quiet, good value, wonderful service.
  • Disliked — no remote for tv, and no bedside lamp.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mariehamn Aland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2008

I phoned from home and the booking was done no problems at all on arivall i found an nice staff who help me to the room a small but nice room toilet was clean and warm floorheating? Bed was clean color tv (no remote) mornig after good eng breakfast if you ask you kan get scrambled eggs bacon or a normal eng breakfast Tea or coffe i recomend the tea. all staff nice and helpfull goog service overall .
i will stay on the B&B again on my next trip to Bangor
And i recomend The Pub Boatyard inn 200 m to ´the left from the B&B Colin behind the bar good food nice staff

• Liked — the Service
  • Disliked — No remote to the tv
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2006

I stayed in the Bay Tree Lodge when visiting Bangor University. This guest house is near to the pier in Bangor, and offers good value for money for anyone wanting a basic standard base for visiting this area. The town centre is also within walking distance.

I was lucky to get a room here, as I heard the people who came in after me being told that they were now fully booked. The receptionist was kind enough to hold the room for me while I went to the cash point (they don't accept card payments!). I asked for a single room for one night, and was charged £25 - this price included a cooked breakfast.

The room actually had a double bed when I got there, and a colour television (no remote control). The bathroom was poorly ventilated, and was fairly clean, though there were some pubic hairs in the bath and on the floor. The bed covers were an odd mix of clean and unclean. It appeared that they had washed the sheets that were on the mattress and under the duvet, but not the actual duvet cover or top cover. There were some food-like stains on the duvet cover, some of which easily came off when scraped, and one or two small pieces of bread dropped out from between the duvet cover and top sheet. This did strike me as lazy service, but at least the sheets above and below me appeared to be very clean.

Two signs at the front of the guest house informed me that "Optional Evening Meals" were available, however when I enquired about this I was told that this was no longer the case - perhaps they might want to change their signs sometime soon? However, the woman on duty informed me that there were several pubs serving food only a short walking distance away. I ventured a little further, and found a wonderful little Italian restaurant down by the pier. I did feel a little odd eating there on my own (it was mainly couples and families), but the food was delicious, and the service very friendly.

The breakfast at this guest house was a cooked English breakfast. Tea/coffee, toast and cereal were also provided. The cooked breakfast was average, but enjoyable.

I would certainly recommend this guest house for visiting students, or people wanting value for money in this area. From the places I looked at while looking for accomodation it is unlikely you would find anywhere much cheaper. Despite the problems mentioned above I would come here again, as it is such good value.

11 Thank Vasilisa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Eryl Mor Hotel
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
The Management Centre
The Management Centre
#1 of 10 in Bangor

Been to Baytree Lodge? Share your experiences!