“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 22 Caernarfon B&B and Inns
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

The guest house is literally a minute walk from the castle. Perfect location, clean, quiet and nicely decorated rooms, great and attentive hospitality and delicious breakfast. I was really pleased with everything.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay for two nights at Cartref. Mary was incredibly friendly, helpful, and generous, especially with our 3-year-old - even going so far as to give him the ice-cream she had just bought for herself, because the ice-cream shops had just closed and he was begging us for one. She really went out of her way to make our stay - and our son's stay - as easy and lovely as possible. Two weeks later, our son is still talking about Mary!

The accommodation itself was gorgeous as well, and such a fantastic location, just steps away from Caernarvon castle and a number of great restaurants and cafes. Breakfasts were fantastic too! Very highly recommended!

Llanelli, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights in a family group taking 2 rooms. Things started promisingly enough with a simple check in and getting our room keys. The room looked nice enough, the bathroom was less so. The towel rail was coming off the wall and a shelf above the sink was loose so anything that was put on it rolled off towards you.
The seal between the glass shower guard and the bath wasn't a good fit, something we didn't know about until I took a shower and hearing a loud knock on the door, only to be told we were flooding the kitchen downstairs.
It was a very hot weekend and the room faced the sun in the afternoon so I asked for a fan. They weren't sure if they had one left and ended up taking one from a room at the front of the house. It only has a few rooms, getting a fan for each one would not be too much to ask.
Breakfast comes in 3 sittings as the dining room is small. Up to 6 can eat at each so if you don't get your name down first on the list they keep at the bottom of the stairs you don't eat when you want to. Breakfast was Ok on the first morning. Second day was painfully slow, we were still not finished from the 8.15 sitting when the 9 o'clock guest came in. I had to ask twice for toast after it had been ordered. It eventually came after everyone had finished the other food. It would have been nice to get it first as the cooked food took so long. The dining room is the only room downstairs, there's no other public room available for those groups taking 2 or more rooms to socialise.
There's no parking close by so unless you park in a short stay car park at high rates or short term on road for free, it's a 10 minute walk to a car park that's free and you can leave the car for the duration of your stay.
I booked here on the basis of the rave reviews but there's more to a place than a friendly welcome, which we undoubtedly got. It's well located for the town as well with the castle visible from the front door. However, there's far to much work needed here for me to stay here again or to recommend.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Reeveew
mary h, Owner at Cartref Guest House, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Oh! Dear, Dear. What a dissapointing review and I feel, a little less than generous and not helpful for the experience of any future guests..

Mmm. The bathroom. I did point out that the previous guests had loosened the towel rail and apologised as I was waiting for someone to mend it. And, 'Mia culpa' the shelf is loose and was also going to be mended. Things like this happen all the time and we do try to get them mended as soon as we can.

The shower has not leaked in the 7 years it has been installed. The shower door bath seal had been loosened and consequently the showerer, his wife, not him, must have accidentally pushed the door over the edge of the bath. The flood was tremendous so the shower must have been runnning over the side for ages. My kitchen was absolutely flooded to the extent that I had to leave a bucket under it all night. I did not bang on the door, I knocked and told them what was happening.

I was asked at 5.25pm for a fan - we have four for six rooms. I ran to the shop to by a new one but I was too late. I asked a guest who I knew was not using his fan if I could move it. He kindly agreed. We seldom get outstanding weather day after day in the UK, I thought four would do, but I hold my hands up andaccept the comment and I will buy two more.

We do have a cosy dining room but it does not just have a sitting for 6. It has seating for 10. We only take 12 guests! Neither is it 3 sittings, it is a guideline time of 7.30, 8.00, 8.30 and 9.00 so we know when to expect people to arrive for breakfast. We ask people to do this because all our beauitiful food is bought in from local Welsh shops and cooked on request from our varied menu.

There were 5 people in this group and every one had a different breakfast. The breakfast has 5 courses so 3/4 of an hour to order, take tea/coffee, entree's, eat cereal and eat a freshly cooked breakfast is not a long time. As there were 5 people, we wanted to serve them all at the same time so they could eat together and allow them the time to enjoy it.

We like people to enjoy their food without hurray. Incidentally, I also offered them and they accepted home made scotch pancakes after their breakfast. They stayed far longer than 3/4 of an hour in the dining room chatting and playing chess. We didn't disturb them and rush them off. We left them to enjoy their game. Later, two of them had a game again in the dining room and I provided refreshments free of charge.

It is a pity we were not asked about the lounge, which we do have - but we were not. When I came from my living room into the hallway on the first day this reviewer was about to enter my kitchen uninvited. He said he was 'exploring.' I would have assumed he had found the lounge on his exploration.

What particularly dissapoints me about this review is the obvious lack of appreciation from this reviewer for all the good things about Cartref. I hope that any future guests that are considering staying here, or not, will take a balanced view from this review and my response.

We will always try to do our utmost to provide a good experience for our guests and we am sorry that we failed to reach our usual high standards for this group.
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Mary made us so welcome and couldn't have been more helpful, allowing us to trail our bikes thru her kitchen for safe storage in the back yard. Our room was so comfortable with a bath!
The breakfast was delicious with generous portions.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We based our choice mainly on the previous reviews here and the fact that price was competitive - and were very pleased with it.
Three of us stayed 2 nights in the triple (family) room - beds were comfortable, everything clean, tea & biscuits provided. As many previous visitors mention: breakfast was great with plenty of options to suit everyone, definitely a bonus when having a buys day ahead exploring Wales!
Overall was just a very pleasant stay, would recommend.

Dalby Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This guesthouse was a great find as it was hidden away in the walled city of Caernarfon. The rooms were very comfortable and wonderfully quiet, the only sound heard were the seagulls in the evening. Breakfast was fantastic, even our 11 year old found plenty to like.

Room Tip: If travelling by car, park at the wharf as it is free and only a two minute walk from the guesthouse...