“Hmmm... could be much better”

YHA Snowdon Bryn Gwynant
Cheltenham
“Hmmm... could be much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I'm not a seasoned hosteller but have stayed in a few over years with friends and when the children were young. I booked a couple of nights in Bryn Gwynant in order to climb Snowdon. It was last minute and the only thing available for the dates I wanted. I booked a double private room for myself at a cost of £50 per night (£25 each for two).

Good points: lovely setting; a great place to enjoy a pint overlooking the lake (see photo); staff polite and keen to do their best. Toilets and showers clean with a good supply of hot water. Excellent location for climbing Snowdon via the quieter Watkin Path.

Not so good: the hostel is tired and a little grimy. Dining room tables were sticky, the staircase was grubby and the windows could have done with a clean. My room (number 5) was barely adequate for the price. I chose to sleep in the top bunk and the climb was quite an effort even for a fit mountain walker! The walls were paper thin and I could hear every bump, scrape and door slam from the next room. The room overlooked the main entrance: I'd had a hard day on the mountain and wanted to sleep but until late in the evening there was a succession of cars running engines and driving over the gravel under the window (despite the signs directing them to the car park); and people arriving late / back from the pub talking loudly and ringing the doorbell. I don't blame the late arrivers, just the position and poor soundproofing of the room.

Food was OK. Evening meal was basic but well cooked. Chef supplied a big pitcher of iced water that was appreciated. Cooked breakfast was OK if you don't mind budget baked beans and sausage (inedible, in my opinion...)

So what do you expect for the money? I'm not sure. Loyalty to YHA goes quite a long way but if this were a budget hotel it would go out of business. I got the impression that this was a place run by well-meaning people who were struggling to maintain an old building with minimal staff and budget. If I have to stay in a Snowdon hostel again I'll choose the newly refurbished Pen-Y-Pass a few miles away.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5: it's noisy and right over the main entrance
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

This hostel has been considerably revamped since I last stayed there. Nice new showers and toilets which were desperately needed. Also the garden is receiving some TLC. But the rooms are still very small, so you have to take it in turns to move around. I was sharing a double bunk room with a friend.
In YHs you are not expected to be noisy after 10.30 at night (just like on a lot of campsites) so I was irritated to be woken up by one of the hostel staff at 23.40 at night. I'd been asleep for some time and am deaf in one ear so the noise of loud music was excessive.
I doubt very much if I'll be returning to BG any time soon which is a shame as it was very peaceful early in evening when I sat outside and watched the sun going down over Snowdon.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

After a very long, wet and blustery day in the hills our campsite was completely flooded. I chanced popping in here to see if they had a room for us. The reception man was excellent! Very helpful and attentive.

Our room wasn't ensuite but the shared toilets and shower were very clean. The shower was lovely and warm.

Kitchen facilities were good providing everything we needed.

I will stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

I travelled here early february for the weekend trip.The surrounding is gourgeous, at the side of a lake and surrounds by mountain range. There is no phone coverage here unfortunately and no wifi internet or tv in the hostel. However it is a good place to be away from hectic life in cities. It is in the middle of snowdonia national park and not very far from Bangor.

The hostel is very reasonable price. Very clean toilet and rooms. The receptions are very friendly and very good.The reception is closed at 11 pm but willing to wait if you are late and let them know. We are about 30 minutes late during the day of arrival but he waits until we arrive.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

I came with a group of friends to celebrate NYE and sample a bit of the local countryside.
This Youth Hostel is in a gorgeous area of Wales; quite remote and serene.
We hired the annex at a reasonable price and stayed for three nights.
There was a communal room with kitchen area, big table and chairs for us to socialise. It was clean, comfortable and far enough away from the main house to have a party without annoying anyone.
Staff were helpful and friendly.
Bedrooms were basic, but very clean and comfortable.
Surrounding area was beautiful; loads of walking opportunities or nice to just have a drive around.
Caernarfon Castle is definitely a must-see if you're staying for a couple of days.
The perfect place for a party!

• Stayed December 2012
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed here last week-end for Snowdon climb. Accommodation was clean, staff friendly and helpful. Evening meal was well cooked and filling and even though we had to leave at 5am and couldn't stay for breakfast we were left toast, cereals and anything else we could find in the s/c kitchen. There was a room (well used) to dry clothes and the large lounge boasts a fantastic view over Snowdonia and a few stray sheep.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Madeleine A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was my first stay at YHA. I booked for a group of ten busy mothers who had a weekend away climbing Snowdonia mountain! We were soaking wet after finishing the 6 hours climb and God, I hope they'll feel at home with my choice of accommodation keeping within the budget including dinner and breakfast next day. We arrived, parked up and were taken away by the spectacular view right by the hostel. Upon check-in, there were two nervous staffs handling a group of women who pretty much knew how to get organised and sorted. Our dinner and breakfast were pre ordered and off to the room we went. Everything were spotless and clean, nothing we imagined. Our food was delicious and there's a bar as well! We drank to celebrate in a lovely lounge facing the lake. Bryn Gwynant is one of a unique place to be remembered for a long time. I would highly recommended this hostel as long as you don't mind the nervous but very kind staffs.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank NorenMck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caernarfon
Bryn Eglwys Country House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Llanberis
YHA Snowdon Ranger
YHA Snowdon Ranger
#2 of 2 in Rhydd Ddu

Been to YHA Snowdon Bryn Gwynant? Share your experiences!