“Traditional pub with good food.” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Black Boy Inn
Ranked #6 of 103 Restaurants in Caernarfon
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh, International
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, Romantic, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Black Boy Inn is a listed building which is situated in the historic town walls of the Royal Borough of Caernarfon. The Inn is within easy walking distance to the town centre, and the famous 13th-century Castle. An old Inn dating back to 1522 and with its wooden paneling, low ceilings, and thick wooden support beams generates a cosy 'Olde Worlde' Welsh atmosphere. The Black Boy is a very busy Inn; please do not expect it to be a slow laid back hotel. It is in the centre of the tourist hub of North Wales and long wait times can be norm in middle of summer. Come and visit us in the winter season for a more laid back feeling.We now also have Black Jacks, which is another renovated building in courtyard, at rear of Inn .Black Jacks is away from the hustle of the main Inn . All suites have small kitchen area.No lift in building.Some Ground floor rooms are easy access with walk in showers , 1st floor variety of rooms as is 2nd floor.we offer 24 hour staff attendance. When you stay in any country you must wish to stay in somewhere that reflects that country ,we certainly do majority of our staff are welsh speaking and so are the owners .Meal TimesSunday to Thursday: Noon until 9.00p.m. Friday and Saturday. Noon until 9.30p.m.Table reservations can be made via reception up to 6.30p.m. Table allocation after 6.30.pm. will be made on availability. Waiting times can vary and an indication of any delay will be conveyed to you. To arrange a table reservation (up to 6.30p.m.)
“Traditional pub with good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I went to this pub with my 5 year old daughter for a meal. Weather was lovely so we sat outside. Inside was extremely busy but the food arrived quite quickly. The menu is quite traditional with lots of seafood options which you would expect from a seaside pub. I had a seafood crumble which was very well presented, quite substantial and very tasty. My daughter was more interested in the playground across from the pub but chose pasta with cheese sauce. I tried what my daughter left and found it bland even for a children's meal. Very limited choice on the children's menu and had to get my own condiments. But apart from that I would definitely recommend a visit.

blackboy673604, Owner at The Black Boy Inn, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for the review , we are what we state on the Tin really a pub with meals . We indeed to get very busy at peak times .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Nice but expensive ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Nestled down one of the side streets of the town and in the shadow of the castle walls u will find this public house and restaurant and b&b. looking pretty as a picture from outside and full of colour from the very many hanging baskets.
My wife and I had a two course meal. Fig and goats cheese and for me black pudding both lovely. For main she had belly pork and I had the guinea fowl. Again both really good. We washed this down with some beers and wine
The service was good and we will come again. Only reason for the three star is price

We do not profess to be the cheapest , but hope to be the busiest and therefore the most consistent of service and quality . I can confirm that we serve up to 750 meals a day in peak season.Please come back again.
Whitby, United Kingdom
“Good town centre hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We're just back home after a week at The Black Boy. The room was 'compact' but the bed was very comfortable and the shower excellent. Didn't have an evening meal here but the breakfast was just fine. All staff were friendly and helpful and all in all this represented good value for money. Would certainly stay here again if we come back to North Wales.

blackboy673604, Owner at The Black Boy Inn, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I guess you stayed in the very small double room ,which is small and priced accordingly . When your return please go for larger room and price of course. Thank you for the feedback.
York, United Kingdom
“Poor Meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Not a nice experience for my wife and I having ordered 2 of the Rump Steak Specials on Thursday 7 August. I discovered that my steak had a large blood vessel in it with blood still inside. This happened towards the end of eating it, what I had eaten before heaven knows. My wife’s steak was largely gristle. On mentioning these problems to the waitress the response was:-
“We will show the blood vessel to the butcher tomorrow”
No offer of recompense was made and we will never go there again.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank John C
Sorry for the quality of steak .This has been brought to the attention of our local butcher . Again an apology that you felt your complaint had not been dealt with correctly.This has again been brought to the attention of the staff . We do have 85 employees on site, many temporary over the summer so issues to arise due to this as we do serve up to 750 meals per day at this time of year. With regard to the blood vessel in steak ,chef would not be aware of this when cooking .Steaks as you know vary from 1 to the other .
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“great portions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

called on a sunday lunchtime and it was busy busy 4 adults &1 infant but after 2 minutes we were showen to a lovely table staff were great the soup and other starters were superb and the sunday roast main course was so full on the plate the veg came on aside plate sweets were also huge big did not affect the quality great meals great big portions and very very good prices no wonder it was so busy highly recommended

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
blackboy673604, Owner at The Black Boy Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for the review , we are indeed a very busy Inn . It is more here about coping with the amount of customers that come through the door.