“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Plas Menai

Plas Menai
Ranked #13 of 40 things to do in Caernarfon
More attraction details
Owner description: Plas Menai is the National Outdoor Centre for Wales. We run an extensive programme of technical and coach education courses in dinghy sailing, windsurfing, powerboating cruising and kayaking. We also run a busy programme of outdoor activities for schools, groups, adults, children and the local community.
Sutton Coldfield
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Booked a week intermediate sailing course and it was one of the best weeks of my life!

The group was just 3 of us to one instructor, who was brilliant. It was left very open to choice, if you wanted heavy hands on tuition, or to enjoy the beautiful scenery over a serene day in your boat, getting to grips with it yourself.

I have stayed in hotels that cost double what the accomodation cost and were far worse. Although basic, the rooms were decent and certainly livable, and for £100 an absolute bargain.

They have an incredible amount of equipment there so that you don't have to bring anything, and the selection, variation and quantity of boats is mind blowing.

100% reccomend, especially for teenagers and young adults, as the centre is certainly youth orientated, but the family courses also looked excellently run, and there is plenty for young children to do.

Simply love the place and can't wait to go back again

Visited August 2012
1 Thank nostalgia123

england
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“try this”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

we did a sailing course for two days here and it was great, our instructor was excellent and the facilities are really good

Visited March 2012
Canterbury
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Beware school holiday 'family' bookings”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I booked for a full day's kayaking with my 11 year old son in school holidays (August). A few others were parents with their own child(ren), but the group was joined by six or more younger, unaccompanied children who'd been booked in for the week - presumably as a multi-activity week. Because it was breezy and there were so many youngsters, the leader decided we couldn't take kayaks out (!), so we went on the water in roped together canoes. Parents ended up being responsible for looking after and entertaining the unaccompanied kids as well as their own child - something I hadn't anticipated and felt was both awkward (eg. accompanying a child in a wetsuit into the bushes so she could have a pee) and a burden, given that I was on holiday and meant to be relaxing. We paddled for 40 minutes down the estuary, keeping tight to the shore, then had a long lunch so the kids could go play at a playground (the younger kids weren't very keen on paddling the canoes!), then paddled back to a small beach so the kids could go in the woods and then play in the shallow water jumping in off upturned boats, while the parents either joined for want of anything better to do, or else stood shivering (in wet wetsuits) on the shore - for well over an hour. One of the parents who helped out entertaining the kids joked 'how much are you paying us to do your childcare?': we had paid £40 per person for this ordeal. At a guess we spent less than two hours of a 6-hour day in the boats, and there was no attempt at instruction or advice. I booked this day because I wanted to get a kayak and use it; I thought it would be useful for both me and my son to go out with someone experienced first. I anticipated that the whole group would be parents with their own child/ren and that they would be there because they wanted to do kayaking, not that the day would be spent passing the time for kids who were happier not in a boat. I've no doubt that Plas Menai does great courses for adults, but this was a huge disappointment.

Visited August 2011
11 Thank CherylKent500
cornwall
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Great centre for all water sports”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Currently doing a residential course over the weekend. A great centre with excellent facilities to learn sailing power boating or kayaking. Accommodation is of a good standard catering is good and there is a decent bar. Reception friendly and efficient.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank SharkyCornwall
Conwy, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Brilliant for all outdoor persuits.”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My partner and I were here last year and I did mean to write something about the experience but was not yet on this site.
This really is a centre of excellence for water activities.
Add to this, the stunning location and friendly and helpful staff, and you have a great day out at a price that is affordable and worth every penny.
We both learnt a great deal and were only disappointed that we had not come sooner. Will be back in the spring

Visited June 2011