“Fantastic!”
Review of Plas Menai

Plas Menai
Ranked #12 of 43 things to do in Caernarfon
More attraction details
Owner description: Plas Menai is the National Outdoor Centre for Wales. We run an extensive programme of technical and coach education courses in dinghy sailing, windsurfing, powerboating cruising and kayaking. We also run a busy programme of outdoor activities for schools, groups, adults, children and the local community.
Reviewed 24 May 2013

First visit to Plas Menai was impressive. From the time I entered the centre to the time I left a week later, the staff were welcoming, friendly & helpful. Spent a week kayaking with a couple of coaches from the centre and 6 other people on the course and not once did I feel that I shouldn't have booked on the trip or would have gone elsewhere. The week was incredibly good value for money and I can't wait to see what's on offer next year. I've already booked another course at Plas Menai for later this year.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My children and I just had a great holiday at Plas Menai. Before we had got into the car to drive home they were plotting to go again next year. Every member of staff we met contributed to us having a good time. I'd thoroughly recommend it for families - just be prepared to come home exhausted and covered in bruises. Also be prepared to be soaking wet and a little chilly for 8 hours every day!

3  Thank victoria g
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Booked a week intermediate sailing course and it was one of the best weeks of my life!

The group was just 3 of us to one instructor, who was brilliant. It was left very open to choice, if you wanted heavy hands on tuition, or to enjoy the beautiful scenery over a serene day in your boat, getting to grips with it yourself.

I have stayed in hotels that cost double what the accomodation cost and were far worse. Although basic, the rooms were decent and certainly livable, and for £100 an absolute bargain.

They have an incredible amount of equipment there so that you don't have to bring anything, and the selection, variation and quantity of boats is mind blowing.

100% reccomend, especially for teenagers and young adults, as the centre is certainly youth orientated, but the family courses also looked excellently run, and there is plenty for young children to do.

Simply love the place and can't wait to go back again

1  Thank nostalgia123
Reviewed 27 April 2012

we did a sailing course for two days here and it was great, our instructor was excellent and the facilities are really good

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I booked for a full day's kayaking with my 11 year old son in school holidays (August). A few others were parents with their own child(ren), but the group was joined by six or more younger, unaccompanied children who'd been booked in for the week - presumably as a multi-activity week. Because it was breezy and there were so many youngsters, the leader decided we couldn't take kayaks out (!), so we went on the water in roped together canoes. Parents ended up being responsible for looking after and entertaining the unaccompanied kids as well as their own child - something I hadn't anticipated and felt was both awkward (eg. accompanying a child in a wetsuit into the bushes so she could have a pee) and a burden, given that I was on holiday and meant to be relaxing. We paddled for 40 minutes down the estuary, keeping tight to the shore, then had a long lunch so the kids could go play at a playground (the younger kids weren't very keen on paddling the canoes!), then paddled back to a small beach so the kids could go in the woods and then play in the shallow water jumping in off upturned boats, while the parents either joined for want of anything better to do, or else stood shivering (in wet wetsuits) on the shore - for well over an hour. One of the parents who helped out entertaining the kids joked 'how much are you paying us to do your childcare?': we had paid £40 per person for this ordeal. At a guess we spent less than two hours of a 6-hour day in the boats, and there was no attempt at instruction or advice. I booked this day because I wanted to get a kayak and use it; I thought it would be useful for both me and my son to go out with someone experienced first. I anticipated that the whole group would be parents with their own child/ren and that they would be there because they wanted to do kayaking, not that the day would be spent passing the time for kids who were happier not in a boat. I've no doubt that Plas Menai does great courses for adults, but this was a huge disappointment.

11  Thank CherylKent500