“Weekend Dinghy Sailing Course”
Review of Plas Menai

Plas Menai
Ranked #13 of 46 things to do in Caernarfon
More attraction details
Owner description: Plas Menai is the National Outdoor Centre for Wales. We run an extensive programme of technical and coach education courses in dinghy sailing, windsurfing, powerboating cruising and kayaking. We also run a busy programme of outdoor activities for schools, groups, adults, children and the local community.
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Spent a fantastic , rewarding and fun weekend at Plas Menai obtaining my RYA level 2 dinghy qualification . The centre caters for watersports enthusiasts and offers residential courses in many different disciplines , everything that you need to participate in your chosen field is provided , the accommodation is basic , clean and functional , food is ample and of good quality but Plas Menai has a jewel in its crown and that is its staff - everyone I met could not have been nicer , the whole place had a fun but functional feel and that was due to the staff’s enthusiastic manner , I have to single out my instructor , Jess , who’s patience and diligence exemplified the centre’s strongpoints . Would I recommend a course at Plas Menai - well I can’t wait to have a rematch .

1  Thank Dave N
"watersports"
"yacht"
"supervision"

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Very high quality instruction, let down by worn facilities. Would still recommend this centre to anyone interested in water-sports. Once facilities are renewed this will be a 5/5 location.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed our swim today with our 6 month old son great price for swim and very helpful staff. The life guard was very helpful helping with my son entering and exiting the pool. Very happy be back very soon

Reviewed 27 August 2017

Learning how to sail has been on my "bucket list" for years & last week I (we) achieved it at this most brilliant water sports centre. The course started on Monday morning & we were instructed by our brilliantly patient instructor Tom Wood ("Woody"). Through the week we sailed a mix of boats from 4 man dingy, single man dingy, yacht, catermaran ! the latter being so fast & exciting ! We must have captsised 10 times daily ! but who cared ?, the water in the Menai Straits was fairly "warm" - wrapped up in our wet suits !, all in all a fabulous weeks adventure for two young at heart 60 year olds !! That said our bodies are feeling fairly battered & bruised - came away with a suspected broken finger & ribs !! hahah worth every ache & pain ! - Thank-you again to Woody for hauling me out of the Straits so very frequently ! you are a legend :-)

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 July 2017

My son (year 5, London primary school) spent a week at Plas Menai in early July. He absolutely loved it and said it was the best trip he'd ever been on. He said the food was great (especially the spicy beef curry) and that the staff were excellent. He participated in lots of activities including J80 sailing, kayaking, gorge walking etc. He said that he would recommend it to anyone!