“A pre Etape Eryri meal”

Cuisines: Italian, Welsh
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

4 hungry cyclists and 2 supporters had a very warm welcome and perfectly cooked food. The full range of steak, risotto pizza and pasta was requested between the 6 of us and all the meals were beautifully presented and arrived in very good time. The staff were friendly and thoughtful. An email booking made a week earlier was promptly replied to and the tiramasu is MAHOOSIVE! Well recommended.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Went to Wal today for lunch. Have been once in the past and had great food, on this occasion it was not to be. Ordered 3 burgers which were supposed to come with gherkins. Asked one member of staff where the gherkins were, he went away and returned to inform us they didn't have any. Then I realised the pesto mayonnaise was missing, brought this to the attention of the manager (I think) who had one of the female members of staff take all three burgers away to be sorted (she was very helpful). She brought the burgers back which now had gherkins (I don't know where these came from, but 3 slices of small gherkin is not enough to taste anything) and the pesto mayonnaise which in actual fact was just pesto spread on the bread (not appetising). Ah well we continued on, however on first taste the burger was overdone, gristly and appeared to be missing the Parmesan and any form of seasoning. On top of this the food was fairly slow in arriving. Just to highlight the positives, 2 of the 3 waiting staff were excellent, and I will say the chips were extremely tasty, but with regards to the meat the fault appears to sit entirely in the kitchen.

1  Thank Marc C
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Two of us had lunch at 'Y Wal' today which was tasty & very well presented. One of us had the fish & chips and the other home made Welsh Burger. Enough choice on the menu & reasonable prices. We were seated straight away & our order was taken quickly. We loved the decor & the atmosphere was great. There is seating outside as well. The only minus is that our meal took 45 mins to arrive, but the waiter did apologise for the wait.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Went with the family today after visiting the castle. The lunchtime menu looked fine. The pork belly ciabatta with gravy and stuffing sounded lovely. Both myself and my mum ordered. When it arrived the pork belly itself was very tender and tasty the stuffing was minimal dry and powdery not the thick tasty spreadable stuffing you would expect. The jug of gravy was like brown water no taste at all. The gravy needed to be thick and glossy. I ate the ciabatta and pork the rest was awful. My partner ordered the soup and sandwich his sandwich was full of tender gammon but the soup was a very thick purée not soup like at all. They had no tuna which my son had ordered which just seemed odd in a cafe at lunchtime. The coronation chicken wrap for my son arrived on a plate with no salad or coleslaw and suggested in the menu. We ordered drinks and the bill was £40. At the end of the meal we noticed the chef/ cook put on his coat and leave, we wondered if he had rushed our meal as he had somewhere else to be. The staff were friendly but in a town where you don't have to rely on regulars because of all the passing trade they still need to make more of an effort. Can't actually believe that this is a tapas restaurant at night unless they have a different chef for lunchtime and evenings, however we won't be returning at either times of the day.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited during my lunch hour with family today, it was buzzing, full of families, visitors and locals. I loved the atmosphere. The staff were excellent, friendly and attentive. They provided a high chair within seconds of arriving, took out order promptly, the food arrived at our table soon after. The food was freshly prepared and was good value for money. The children's portion was generous. Will visit again, thank you!