“Really good for business”
Review of Celtic Royal Hotel

Celtic Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Caernarfon
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Great hotel!! Very nice and helpful people, delicious breakfast. You can relax in the swimming pool, gym, sauna ,library or pub. The interior of the hotel is amazing and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. Good for conferences and business meetings.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I stayed two nights at Celtic Royal Hotel in Caernarfon. It is a lovely old building on a quiet street and the staff are a real asset to the place. Everyone was helpful and friendly. We did not eat here other than breakfast so I cannot comment too much on the food. I had booked on the internet and then phoned to say I needed an extra night as my partner was joining me for the weekend. When I got there, I discovered that once it was realised I was not taking the room as a single letting, the price went from GBP99 to 135. I was not in a position to quibble as it seemed I was not clear enough which may well have been the case but in any event the room was the same for one as for two and to my mind this was bad value. Breakfast certainly was not worth GBP35. The rooms were really clean and linen very fresh but the double bed was not really built for anyone not petite of frame. A nuisance in Caernarfon is the seagull. The room was not well soundproofed and the windows were single glazed so the noise of the birds was a nuisance but the staff moved us to a different room the next day and this was smaller but better soundproofed. Breakfast was a buffet and it was not brilliant. Overall, I would rate the hotel as average. I think I slept well because I had cycled a big distance when in the area. On that note, the hotel staff were really good about looking after my bike so that it was stored in a secure place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Room was substantial, one double and a single bed, bathroom was great size. The interior of the hotel is gorgeous, very relaxing. There is free wifi throughout the hotel (!) and we watched the sunset on the pier which is 5 minutes walk.

Great hotel in a nice location near Bangor. We ate dinner and breakfast; both were good.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank arnald5
Reviewed 26 May 2012

friends were already at hotel,so i joined them at last notice,and got a good price including breakfast.the room was spacious for 3 of us.staff are helpful,happy.
the pool was great at 7am,lovely and clean,and the sauna too.
food was gorgeous,presented great,and good menu.the bar was nice and chilled.
this hotel is central and has good carpark-safe.
i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank clairieWales
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We went to stay here as there was a wedding on there that we were attending.
I was delighted with the place. We had a lovely room and although I thought the B& B rate was high, the D, B&B rate was amazing for such a super restaurant.
The Pool, jacuzzi section, steam room, and sauna all with luxury changing facilities was brilliant.
We were very impressed with all the staff, the waitresses, two of whom were Hungarian and very friendly, were quite delightful.
Caernarfon castle was brilliant and this was only a short walk. There were also waterfront walks very close.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SmileyDawn
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This Hotel is one of Caernarfon's finest, even if the rooms are a bit 'dated' The pool and Spa are 'Fab' and looked after by the brilliant Brian. Food here is really good, as is the atmosphere.Note, you guys need some new entertainment, some of it is really naff. We had my Husband's 50th here and the Buffet was top class. Management really care about the 'Guest' experience. One little moan, they don't employ enough 'locals', but the Staff are quite charming. Some staff have a bit of a problem with English, but saying that, they will still do their very best to help and always do it with a smile.

Room Tip: Have never slept here as we are local, be advised though, during busy periods staff rooms are given...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanaKR7964
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed at the Celtic Royal for a dance weekend and chose to go for an extra night beforehand. This turned out to be a very good idea as we got the extra night dinner/bed/breakfast for £50 each and the standard of the evening meal was first class restaurant standard. The hotel is based on a central 18th century 'core' that has been gutted so that you can look up the staircase to roof level. This gives it a light airy feel. Off this core are modern wings including the dining room, ball room, bar and swimming pool on the ground floor, and bedrooms above. Our room and those of our friends were of a good size, warm, modern, pleasantly furnished and the ensuite was a reasonable size. Some including ours didn't have a bath which wasn't a problem to us because we wouldn't have used it anyway. Other people would have preferred a bath. I would agree with another reviewer that in comparison to dinner, breakfast was a bit disappointing in terms of the range of food offered and the quality. The evening meals during the weekend were from a more limited menu but still excellent quality.

All the staff we dealt with were Eastern European (only local Welsh voice I heard was a woman on reception as we left) but all were friendly and helpful.

The hotel had everything you could need in terms of facilities, and we had an excellent weekend. The dance floor (if that's of any interest to you) was not a genuine dance floor (i.e. sprung) but was of a good size and there was plenty of room for tables around the floor. Bar prices were steep but on a par with other hotels we have danced in.

Caernarfon is a lovely looking little town with a castle (obviously), and a new harbour development. However, it does look a bit 'tired' and there are not many decent shops in the town itself. However, there are plenty of places to go to from Caernarfon and the hotel has a full range of brochures to give you some ideas.

Overall we had an excellent weekend away with friends and the hotel contributed massively to our enjoyment.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath ask as some rooms only have a shower.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ScouseManc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caernarfon
Black Boy Inn
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Tyn Rhos Country House
Tyn Rhos Country House
#1 of 1 in Llanddeiniolen

Been to Celtic Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!