“Terrible hygiene”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Used this pub for me and my family for tea while on holiday .it was our last choice has other places were full . All I can say is the cleanliness of this place was not up to scratch and the food was not very appetising think Iceland got a lot of business of them as all the food was frozen stuff . As for the condiments there was. Dead fly in the vinegar pot and my daughter ended up with a pubic hair in her basket of chips needless to say this turned all our stomachs and we decided to just go and not bother complaining as nothing could have been done to appease us even a full refund it just taught me to add this to my list of places not to go back to

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I had a terrible experience in this pub. My husband and daughter are vegetarians; we ordered nachos to share. When the nachos arrived they had chilli beef on them. There are two nachos on the menu: topped nachos and chilli nachos. I took the plate to the bar and said it isn't what I ordered and my companions don't eat meat. Then I was summarily ganged up on by all available staff. "That's £5.50". I said I wasn't happy about paying again as I hadn't ordered chilli nachos. "Well we have to pay for them." In the end after three of them made quite nasty remarks I offered to pay. But the bar maid just turned her back and muttered. I was stood at the bar with £5.50 in my hand pretty embarrassed. In the end meatless nachos arrived and were thrust at us. It really was a shock and ruined our lunch. We didn't go back and neither should you. The food was dreadful in the end anyway!

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Dropped in for dinner, not a lot of restaurants open. Ordered the beef and ale pie which came with vegetables chips and gravy and sounded lovely.

It was frozen food, looked like someone just bought it from Iceland.
Cheap little pie, rubbery frozen carrots, overdone frozen peas and cheap cheap gravy. Absolutely horrible. I wouldn't buy food like this in a supermarket and really can't believe a restaurant would serve it.

Quick visit to the ladies...scruffiest shabbiest I've seen in a long time.

Completely horrible

Paul T, Manager at Palace Vaults, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

We offer value for money on all our meals, and am disappointed that you felt the quality was not what you expected for the reasonable price. I can tell you that on the day you visited and in relation to the toilets, we were also visited by the local authority on a hygiene inspection and we were awarded a 5 grading which is the highest. Our toilets aren't the most up to date I admit but they are clean and tidy. Thanks for your review

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I've stopped at the Palace Vaults for a quick pint every time I've stayed in Caernarfon. It's a homely place serving traditional pub food. It's got a reasonable selection of real ales and the prices are fairly standard.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Pen Deitch, to call it by it's Welsh Name(means Head Of The Ditch) has recently been taken over by a new Management team and has received a refurb. It is much nicer for both. Food is good and reasonably priced. It is standard 'Pub Grub' but well cooked and presented. Staff are pleasant and service is good. Outdoor seating is pleasant with great views of The Maes and Caernarfon Castle.