“Great find!”

Y Castell Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Caernarfon B&B and Inns
“Great find!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the castell on a Monday night, after cycling 30 miles to get there. The staff were most welcoming and the room was fantastic large enough for 2 bikes to be stored and still acres of space. For £60 for the night the hotel facilities were great all the usual tea and coffee and nice little extras such as bottled water and lovely toiletries,much more than expected for the price. We slept like logs (we didn't get in till after last orders) had a lovely cup of coffee on leaving. Great service guys keep up the good work Diolch

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank hilarioushilda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Leicester
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I moved to Caernarfon 2 years ago and fell in love with Y Castell straight away. It looks impressive, it feels impressive, it IS impressive. I have run bars and restaurants but take my hat off to Y Castell. Customer service is superb, food excellent and the beers perfectly poured. I often watch how the staff relate to customers and could find no fault whatsoever. So, if on holiday in Caernarfon, visit Y Castell, you know it makes sense!!!

Room Tip: I have not stayed here so cannot comment on this.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PavlosLeicester
cardiff
Reviewed 10 August 2014

First impressions good. Lovely location, friendly staff, room no.2 big, but that's where it ends.
Shower room small and shoddy, old sash windows rubbish (read more later), curtains too thin and light, especially as street lights outside room, socket at bed side not working and worst of all - VERY VERY NOISY.
This is not a guesthouse with a restaurant/bar. It is a night club, which happens to have rooms above it.
Was awoken at 12.15 (normally once asleep, not much disturbs me!). The music downstairs was so loud, the room was vibrating. With that went loud drunk people, who dropped bottles on the floor outside and dragged metal furniture every time they moved. The weather was lovely, so it was busy outside the room and the sash windows did not fit or keep any of the noise out. The fire door (which it was suggested we keep shut to minimise noise) at the top do the stairs to the 1st floor, was not closed by anyone apart from me. I got up at lease 4 times to close it. It needs a self closing hinge on it.
I thought that when the club closed it would be quieter, but I was wrong. The noise carried on until 2.50. The afore mentioned metal tables and chairs were dragged about again, this time by the staff stacking and chaining them up. The old heavy front door was slammed over and over again, presumably by drunked revellers leaving, and staff toing and froing as they cleared up. So another soft closing mechanism needed there. Despite being an old solid structure the whole building shook each time the door was slammed. Once the staff had shouted they good byes to each other, it was quiet from 2.50.
UNTIL ........ 6.10 ......... when due to the inadequate sash windows and rubbish curtains, we heard the bin men going about their business, the market traders setting up their stalls in the square, sea gulls and most annoyingly the dragging of the metal furniture again, by the night porter putting them back into position. For who I do know, as they did not serve until 9!!!
This was a literally alast minute booking for us and I made a mistake in choosing here (I did not have time to read enough of the reviews!)
Since then I read another reviewer saying if you can't beat them join them, unfortunately, we were doing a charity sponsered walk and an down Snowdon the next day, so that was not an option for us.
Make your mind up Y Castell, you are either a hotel, with your staying guests needs at the forefront or a night club, meeting the needs of the people buying alcohol. It does not work trying to be both.

Room Tip: Only go there if you want to party all night
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank felicityma
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had wanted to try Rhodri's Restaurant for a while, and we finally had an evening together without the kids to try it out for our anniversary, and it was certainly worth the wait!

The restaurant is located above the castell on the first floor. The restaurant is decorated to a very good standard, and has a lovely atmosphere.

The service from all staff there was great, couldn't fault it. Our waitress Marged was lovely, she was so polite and professional.

The food was to die for. It is a fine dining restaurant, and the quality and presentation of the meals were great, with freshly cooked food.

We had pork and scallop starters followed by lamb and duck mains washed down with a lovely bottle of prosecco. We shared a cheesecake dessert as we were nicely full.

The executive chef Richard also came upstairs and spoke to us which we felt was a nice touch and hr us a great asset for the castell.

I will certainly be recommending Rhodri's to friends and family, and would love the opportunity to return...

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheFusyOne
Neath South Wales
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I am torn writing this review as this hotel is in a brilliant location; the management and staff are very helpful and friendly; the food is delicious; the room we had was a bit draughty around the doors and windows but spotlessly clean and well maintained however, the noise was far more than I expected even after reading about the establishment on here;
Its a very very popular place with the locals, the bar is bouncing on a Friday and Saturday night and also the outside seating area which unfortunately was right outside our window, which for your information are old wooden sash types so may as well not be there, they offer no noise protection at all!
The noise on the Friday was very very loud and constant until around 2.30 am and then you had the staff cleaning and dragging the metal tables around whilst chatting (loudly) to each other and the stragglers from the nights partying; I looked at the clock and it was 3.04 am when the noise stopped! The bar opens up again very early in the mornings; metal tables being set up etc so there was noise again after only a few hours sleep!

The noise from the inside the bar was just about tolerable if you had the tv on very loud to mask it and as long as the door was kept closed on the landing, however this was opened and closed and banged quite a few times during our stay and you could hear every word someone was saying through the door which makes you feel very insecure!

The manager did make sure he pointed out to us about the noise when he took us to the room saying about the hotel being busy and noisy as mentioned on this site but I really did not expect the amount of noise that we encountered.
It was so bad that we debated actually driving home the next day after we had come to do what we had booked even though we had paid for the 2 nights!

We decided to give it another go on the Saturday night, it wasnt as bad as the previous night, probably because it was pouring with rain so the outside was only being used by smokers, however the noise was still there in the bar underneath until the early hours!
Would I recommend this hotel?
I would to any youngsters who are out to party on the weekend; its ideal for them. I am not sure if its quieter in the week but still you would have the noise outside daily although to not such an extent as the weekend I imagine!
Again, I want to say how nice the management and staff are but we are sorry to say we would not stay here again ourselves.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeJNeath
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

A small recently decorated pub/restaurant which offers overnight accommodation in a small but trendy room setting. Rooms are clean, cosy and very well and tastefully decorated throughout.

Both bar and restaurant are a lovely place to spend some time in the evening or day time and the food is fantastic value for money! As the evening gets later, the pub becomes more of a trendy nightspot and a fantastic, bustling atmosphere fills the room and out into the court yard out front.

Even though the rooms are only a few floors up from the main bar, they have been well sound insulated and i could barely here any noise coming from below! Great job!

A great place to spend some time with friends/family or partners for what ever sort of vacation you are after. - I will be back!! :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chaz_Dman
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A busy place with really nice staff, well used by localls and visitors alike. Our meal in the restaurant on the ground floor was very good and at a reasonable cost. We have not stayed in any of the rooms at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple