“Really good lunch, lovely staff”
Review of Blas - CLOSED

Blas
Price range: US$5 - US$47
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Popped over the road from the Castle for a bite to eat and pleasantly surprised to find Blas tucked away down Hole in the Wall. Fast service, attentive staff and well presented tasty food, Diolch yn fawr iawn.

1  Thank bigblackbag

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Visited Blas this weekend having had vouchers as a recent gift. The service was attentive and the food was one of the best we have had in the local area. We look forward to visiting again soon.

1  Thank Rhiang99
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Whilst on holiday in Wales, we happened to be in Caernarfon on a Sunday. We walked past Blas, and saw they had a Sunday lunch menu. It looked nice and cosy so we reserved and came back an hour later for lunch.

The waiters were very friendly and attentive. I don't eat meat, so had salmon with spinach and new potatoes - a simple dish but delicious, salmon cooked perfectly and piping hot. My husband had the full Sunday roast with beef, also cooked very nicely with a huge Yorkshire pudding and copious amounts of vegetables and potatoes on the side.

My kids (aged 4 and 6) were very welcome. One had fish and chips and mushy peas, which can not soggy fish batter, but light and crisp and the mushy peas were a bright fresh green. The other had ham, egg and chips and her ham was very tender.

We liked it so much that when we found ourselves in Caernarfon again later that week, we went back to Blas. This time we had the normal (not Sunday) menu available and I had the pea risotto, which was very tasty.

The service was quick, the waiters came by more that once to ask if everything was okay. If I'm ever Caernafon again, I will look forward to eating at Blas again.

2  Thank William_Mandella
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Having enjoyed a Sunday lunch a couple of months ago, we decided to visit Blas again as we were in Caernarfon on a weekday. What a disappointment. A simple lunch of a sandwich served with side salad and chips should have been easy enough to present - but the salad was sadly drooping, the sandwich was two inches thick, on doorstep slices of bread with very little filling inside, and the chips were soggy and greasy (quite probably re-heated?). Blas will not retain its reputation by letting its' standards slip in this manner.

2  Thank Valedweller
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Visited here last week after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor.

The food was great - I had the duck terrine to start and my wife seafood platter - both were very good. I had the lamb and my wife had the pork, both were delicious and seasoned well.

The only problem was the service, the restaurant is only small but once someone had taken our first drinks and food order, it was hard to catch the waitress again. I had to go to the bar to order another round of drinks and then had to go back to the bar to ask for the bill. When asking for the bill, threee of the staff were standing behind the bar chatting. Abit frustrating consider the prices you are paying.

Overall, very good but not sure if we would return.

1  Thank Tom M