“Decent food”

Caru Kebabs
Ranked #68 of 109 Restaurants in Caernarfon
Cuisines: Fast food
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have had several takeaways from here and the quality is always decent. The lamb kebabs and pizza's are great. Chips are not so good.

1  Thank ChristopherSenior
There are newer reviews for Caru Kebabs

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Tried this kebab house whilst visiting the town. I must say the pizza and kebabs we ordered were spot on and delicious. The kids thoroughly enjoyed them as did I. The staff were also friendly and completed the order quite quickly. I think I would use this kebab house on a regular basis if based in the town.

1  Thank 12johnSA
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This place is the best! I love their Donna meat on chips and their hot and spicy pizza is awesome ! Free delivery in the caernarfon area and never a long wait

1  Thank Richieleejones
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Always friendly service and reliably good food. Place clean and staff friendly. Our takeaway of choice in Caernarfon. Would recommend.

1  Thank heulwen1972
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Poor customer service, awkward interpersonal skills and pure disregard to quality and food hygiene.

Generally, ok tasting doner (although too salty). They always give 'stale' nan bread, which is pre-frozen and reheated before serving.

We tried their pizzas but my kids prefer the pizza from Caernarfon kebab on bridge street.

However, the biggest issue is they really don't care about the quality of food they dish out to customers. They're called Caru (love) Kebabs but food hygiene and quality are low on their priority list and here's why.

I arrived at opening and ordered a doner kebab. They had a fresh doner rotisserie cooking and asked if I could wait. I was glad to as it looked nice and fresh and It was slowly cooking, which was no problem.

They then hauled an old doner rotisserie that was discoloured in multiple-layers and put it on a second burner.

However, one flame (one of four) would not ignite. Therefore only 3/4 of the kebab was cooking. I could see clearly (and so could they) that one quarter of the meat was not properly heating up at all. They kept trying to light the flame but failed and were clearly frustrated.

After about 10 mins they began carving the cooked portion and about an inch or so into the uncooked portion. Then, looking extremely frustrated, started carving the uncooked portion onto the stale nan bread to serve to me!

I explained that the meat was not cooked and that it was not right to serve it to me.

The hired staff explained it was cooked previously (the night before) so should be fine. I explained that was not right. And I had been watching the portion of meat continue to be uncooked.

The guy who was carving, who I presume to be an owner, rather than offer to cook the meat properly (which is what I wanted) just rudely ordered his staff member to give me a refund!

I asked why I couldn't wait and have the fresh meat, but they said it was not possible.

This bothered my a lot as I expect takeaway food to be cooked throughout, as would anyone. And moreover, they are called 'love' (caru) kebabs.

The dreadful attitude towards providing clean cooked food was just awful. The lack of regard towards providing good customer service was also extremely disappointing.

They have lost a customer, and I'm sure one of many unless they change their food standards and unprofessional attitude.

PS: For the record, the guy serving me was nice but had no say in the matter.

1  Thank FunFami1y
welshbird2013, General Manager at Caru Kebabs, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our business. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this visit.

We take great pride in the quality of the meals we prepare and take great care in preparing our food, adhering to food hygiene standards, hence our level 5 food hygiene rating. Whilst I apologise for the level of customer service you received on your visit, we are only human and unfortunately the partner which served you was not having the best of days due to a family bereavement. Whilst this is no excuse, it is sadly the reason you had a poorer level of customer service than we would normally give you.

This being said, in response to your other points, the re-heating of the doner from the previous day is common practice within the takeaway industry. Although not ideal, as admittedly is does not look as appetizing prior to cooking, however strict cooling down, refrigeration and re-heating guidelines are always adhered to. The mechanical doner cutter which we use is also set to a minimum cut to ensure thin, cooked slices at all times. Using this method also makes it extremely difficult to cut the meat too early as uncooked meat would not slice off but pull the doner apart. However, I am disappointed that your concerns were not addressed as they normally would be and under normal circumstances we could have cooked the doner longer to satisfy your concerns, used the laser thermometer to show you that the meat was heated to the food hygiene standards or give you the option to wait for the new doner to be cooked.

You stated that we “always serve stale nan”. I would like to take this opportunity to explain our weekly routine. Our nan dough is prepared freshly in batches two to three times a week. Once the nan is cooked and cooled, a batch will be kept refrigerated, as per hygiene guidelines for use the same day. The remaining nan bread, once cooled will immediately be frozen as opposed to refrigerated to keep the freshness to its optimum, much as the huge array of food products you can find in most supermarkets frozen aisles are, which are also not stale but frozen to maintain freshness. The freezing process may give a different texture to the nan bread once reheated, but it is certainly never stale. As nan is a popular item on our menu with our customers, the frozen nan is rarely kept in the freezer for more than a few days.

I would like to finish by saying that we do take our hygiene standards seriously, we do care greatly for our customers and will always endeavour to give them the high quality product and service that they not only demand but deserve. On the rare occasion we get it wrong we hope we will be given the opportunity to put it right and when this is not possible, we value the opportunity to respond via sites such as Tripadvisor and again thank you for your comments and hope you will give us another chance to do what we do best, the right way this time!