We booked after reading all the positive reviews so our expectations were high. The location was perfect right in the heart of town, near to the castle. It was easy to find and had a benefit of a free car park. Check in was easy and very friendly. The room itself was very nice - clean with little extra touches. All going well we thought. When it came to dinner we ordered 2 mains from the menu with a plan for wine and deserts. We both ordered a fish dish. Fish was great but one of the dishes was served with frozen green beans and ready made mash potato (the sort you buy in a supermarket in a block) The white sauce was far too salty. The salad was plain and just not nice.
At the third attempt the wine(after opening two prior bottles with corkage problems) eventually
arrived after i'd finished my meal. Needless to say we didn't have the wine or stop for dessert. It's a real shame when an establishment has lots of other things going for it but then is let down by an inconsistent kitchen that lacks culinary creativity. My advice is stay here but dine elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Black Boy Inn is a listed building which is situated in the historic town walls of the Royal Borough of Caernarfon. The Inn is within easy walking distance to the town centre, and the famous 13th-century Castle. An old Inn dating back to 1522 and with its wooden paneling, low ceilings, and thick wooden support beams generates a cosy 'Olde Worlde' Welsh atmosphere. The Black Boy is a very busy Inn; please do not expect it to be a slow laid back hotel. It is in the centre of the tourist hub of North Wales and long wait times can be norm in middle of summer. Come and visit us in the winter season for a more laid back feeling.We now also have Black Jacks, which is another renovated building in courtyard, at rear of Inn .Black Jacks is away from the hustle of the main Inn . All suites have small kitchen area.No lift in building.Some Ground floor rooms are easy access with walk in showers , 1st floor variety of rooms as is 2nd floor.We offer 24 hour staff attendance. When you stay in any country you must wish to stay in somewhere that reflects that country ,we certainly do majority of our staff are welsh speaking and so are the owners .Meal timesSunday to Thursday: Noon until 9.00P.M. Friday and Saturday. Noon until 9.30P.M.Table reservations can be made via reception up to 6.30P.M. Table allocation after 6.30.Pm. Will be made on availability. Waiting times can vary and an indication of any delay will be conveyed to you. To arrange a table reservation (up to 6.30P.M.)In peak season we cannot accept table bookings at all due to the volume of trade ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Black Boy Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Boy Hotel Caernarfon
- Black Boy Inn Caernarfon, Wales