The pub is outstanding just inside the city walls. The exterior is all beams and wonderful window boxes, very attractive. The pub has a small car park to the side with gated access by keypad. The rooms are beautifully decorated and quite large with very modern bathrooms ours actually had a bath and not just a shower. The bedlinen is top quality and fresh quality towels everyday. It was quite easy to get lost in the maze of corridors and breakfasts are taken in the building at the rear, difficult when the heavens open as they frequently did during our stay. Perhaps a few umbrellas would be helpful. We were surprised when we were told that we could not book a table in the restaurant but had to speak to the manager at 6:30pm in the corridor by reception to see if there was a table available. That said this must be the most popular pub for food that I have ever seen with over 60 tables in various locations and all full. The first night we ordered our food and waited for 40 mins whilst other tables who ordered their food after us were on main courses! The waitress had not passed the order to the kitchen, apologies but no offer of a free drink! When the food did turn up it was vast and fantastic probably the best beef and ale pie I have tasted. A quick walk around the town a nightcap and off to bed. However the noise from the outside eating area kept us up till near midnight with windows closed! This is a lively pub and part of the atmosphere but be warned. We suffered the same fate the next night as well until rain stopped play. The breakfast menu is vast and very varied which once again tripped up the waitress who got both our breakfast order wrong. That said we really enjoyed the breakfast which were well cooked and quickly served. The waiting service was again to fail on the second nights meal with a bottle of wine missed from the bill. I am an honest person and questioned the bill and was rewarded with a reasonable Malbec charged at the house wine price. Overall the hotel is very comfortable and nicely decorated but let down by sloppy waiting staff. The food however is fantastic and is clearly why the pub is so popular. Would stay again without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Black Boy Inn is a listed building which is situated in the historic town walls of the Royal Borough of Caernarfon. The Inn is within easy walking distance to the town centre, and the famous 13th-century Castle. An old Inn dating back to 1522 and with its wooden paneling, low ceilings, and thick wooden support beams generates a cosy 'Olde Worlde' Welsh atmosphere. The Black Boy is a very busy Inn; please do not expect it to be a slow laid back hotel. It is in the centre of the tourist hub of North Wales and long wait times can be norm in middle of summer. Come and visit us in the winter season for a more laid back feeling.We now also have Black Jacks, which is another renovated building in courtyard, at rear of Inn .Black Jacks is away from the hustle of the main Inn . All suites have small kitchen area.No lift in building.Some Ground floor rooms are easy access with walk in showers , 1st floor variety of rooms as is 2nd floor.We offer 24 hour staff attendance. When you stay in any country you must wish to stay in somewhere that reflects that country ,we certainly do majority of our staff are welsh speaking and so are the owners .Meal timesSunday to Thursday: Noon until 9.00P.M. Friday and Saturday. Noon until 9.30P.M.Table reservations can be made via reception up to 6.30P.M. Table allocation after 6.30.Pm. Will be made on availability. Waiting times can vary and an indication of any delay will be conveyed to you. To arrange a table reservation (up to 6.30P.M.)In peak season we cannot accept table bookings at all due to the volume of trade ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, LateRooms, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Black Boy Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Boy Hotel Caernarfon
- Black Boy Inn Caernarfon, Wales