We recently had our wedding reception and evening celebration here. We also stayed the night, as did several of our family.
Kate, Adam and their team helped to make it a special day for us. We were impressed from the start by the warm welcome we received and the warm and cosy atmosphere of the hotel.
We had a basic idea of what we wanted which Kate helped us to develop with some excellent suggestions regarding choice of food, seating arrangements and lighting for the evening.
The standard of food both at the reception and the evening buffet was excellent. We chose lamb for the main course and the chef took the trouble to contact us beforehand to ask us how we wanted it cooked. We asked for medium rare and it was cooked to perfection. The service was excellent and the staff were very tolerant of some rather boisterous small guests.
The staff were particularly helpful, offering to decorate the rooms on the day to our bridesmaids' exacting standards! ( relieving them of a last minute task in their finery)
The rooms were excellent and spacious and with a shower that worked and was hot (something not all hotels posess in our experience!!). We missed breakfast but those not too hung over to make it assured us that it was superb.
The grounds provided a picturesque backdrop for photos...and space for boisterous children to run off surplus energy (some hopes!)
All in all we cannot fault the venue or the staff. They made it a perfect celebration of our day. Many of our guests (those who were sober enough to remember) were impressed with our choice of venue and the food provided, not to mention the beer of which copious quantities were consumed.
You made it a brilliant day! Thanks Kate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Plas Derwen is a fantastic pub restaurant which offers exceptional food at ordinary prices. Located within easy reach of the A40 and A465 (Heads of the Valleys Road), it was redeveloped to a high standard in April 2007. All our food is cooked to order, using produce from local suppliers, listed on the back of our weekly changing menus, enabling you to have a different dish with every visit. There is also a Specials board and a Fish Specials board for even more variety. This is a warm, welcoming venue with pastel colours and a large see through feature fireplace. The building dates back 600 years and the refurbishment has been sympathetically undertaken to reflect old meeting new. With contemporary furnishing, the traditional slant has been retained with many nooks and crannies around the pub. The Garden Room, Lounge Bar and double Conservatory are separate rooms offering different experiences. Some areas have leather sofas and leather tub chairs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Plas Derwen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plas Derwen Hotel Abergavenny
- Plas Derwen Abergavenny, Wales