“EXCELLENT - As Always!!”

The Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT - As Always!!”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My & my friends were in the Venue 59 restaurant again over the weekend (Friday 02/03/12 to be exact) and I just want to give credit to the amazing staff & food that we always seem to get there.

The restaurant was very busy, with a large party of people & several other smaller tables to contend with, but the staff were excellent, mine and my husband's steaks were perfect and our friends, who had never been before, said that they would definately be going back again.

It's an hour and a half round trip for us to dine at Venue 59 but it has always been a pleasure & well worth the time and effort.

We also have gone from the restaurant & into the bar some nights & on fridays, they have a singer which makes for a good evening.

We haven't stayed in the hotel yet but from everything else we have seen there, we will definately be booking in this summer.

I don't normally leave reviews but i think our food & experience deserved it.

Highly recommend giving it a try in any capacity!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Not only did the blackcurrant and honey jus and the red wine sauce taste purely of bisto which I suppose we could have just about put up with as the meat in our dishes themselves were succulent....but the owner was rude and could not accept criticism in any way and accused all local restaurants of using packet sauces whilst theirs was homemade she also gave me a cookery lesson on what a jus was...we ( and many others after we have spoken to them) will not be frequenting this place again!!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Su M
London, England
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here for two nights and immediately regretted booking it as soon as we arrived. We had hoped for a decent pub with charming rooms. What we go was a room that stank of well, being polite, "bad drains". The room was tiny and the decor tired. The window was broken.

When I went down to the pub (not a great one by the way) to tell them that the room smelt awful and that we presumed it was coming from the bathroom, they said "oh that room? Thats always a problem" A man came up to fix it but ended up making the smell worse.

When it came to checking out, I raised the issue again saying I was still unhappy about it there was no apology and all they said was that someone fixed it; I said they made it worse; they just repeated that someone fixed it ; etc etc. The customer is never right in this place and at £80 a night it is ridiculously over priced. The standard of accommodation is at the very bottom of the scale.

We had a friend staying a few doors down at the Angel, his room was great. It's a bit more expensive but is a world apart. The staff in the bar/restaurant there treated us like customers too which was an added bonus.

If I hadn't had these issues with the kings head I might have given it a mediocre rating at best mainly due to being ok but over priced but when you lump in the smell, the rudeness and the unwillingness to actually help I can only urge anti e reading this not to bother stating there. Avoid.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Redeyed
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed at the King's Head hotel for a two night mini break sunday to tuesday. We found the hotel on the internet and booked via phone. No deposit was necessary which made us happy plus the staff pre-warned us that they don't serve dinner Sunday night.

On arrival to Abergavenny it was a nice 10 minutes walk to the hotel. At first we were unsure as the main street seemed like a ghost town. The hotel seemed closed but a press of the door bell and the very friendly manager welcomed us.

The room was on the 2nd floor via stairs and was a good size. The queen size bed was extremely comfortable and there were plenty of pillows to suit both of us. The ensuite was large, modern and extremely clean. Towels were large, soft and clean. Bed linen was clean and good quality but the bed spread was dated.

The room had a small flat screen tv, kettle, tea/coffee/chocolate/biscuits and bottled water. A large window with ledge gave us a nice view of the street and mountain, a good breeze and extra space for our things.

The included breakfast was good hot and cold options. We suggest an early breakfast for the fresher stuff as our second morning was a later one and the food seemed shrivelled and dry (perhaps from microwave re-heating)

The bar area is cosy and inviting. Staff were helpful and friendly, tv and very big projector screen for watching, juke box and darts to play and nice set up.

Location is perfect! Everything on your doorstep.

Price wise King's Head Hotel is not the cheapest place in town but we happy with it overall. We may stay there again. Depending on funds.

Room Tip: ask for top floor for best view and less noise
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Spent three nights at the King's Head in July 2010, and would definitely return. Ruth and Ken are excellent hosts. Check-in was quick. The room was clean and larger than I had anticipated. The Welsh breakfasts were tasty and substantial, and provided a great source of fuel for hiking the various peaks in the area. As the stay coincided with both Wimbledon and the World Cup, the pub was quite active and fun. And the central location placed everything within easy walking distance.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed one night in Abergavenney with our 2 year old. The hotel is on the side of a pub but opens out into a large guest house and lovely little restaurant. When we arrived we were welcomed warmly and while I moved the car to a local car park (you can only park outside from 5pm, though local pay and display cheap and 2 mins away) our bags were taken to our room. We had been upgraded to the family room at no extra cost. This was large, spacious and immaculately clean. The bathroom looked brand new and again was really clean with toiletries and lots of towels. The only negative was there was only a shower attachment not a shower fixed to the wall. The bed was really comfortable and we all slept well, though the tv didn't pick up BBC not that it bothered us. We went for a drink in the pub in the evening and were made to feel very welcome, even with our daughter. Breakfast was lovely and there was cereal, toast and the full English. The owners of the place who served us were lovely and showed genuine interest in our plans and what we had been doing. Would def recommend.

• Stayed April 2011
Alexandria VA
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I stayed at the King’s Head for 3 nights (Sat / Sun / Mon) in September 2009. I liked it, but it wasn’t quite what I’d hoped for. It's clearly kept with care and love, but my room was a little more basic than I'd hoped and the pub was not appealing to me.

Location: Excellent!! Right in the center of Abergavenny, close to restaurants, shops, etc. It’s on the main street of town, which is pretty narrow. If you’re sensitive to noise, I’d advise avoiding the front rooms. (A group of noisy drunks woke me and everybody else at 3am Sunday.) You can park on the street on weekends & overnight in front of the hotel, but if you’re planning to stay past 9am (I think) on a weekday, you need to move the car to a car park a block or two away.

Rooms: I upgraded to a room with a double bed for 75 pounds. Pluses: clean and fresh; comfy bed; good bedside reading lights; nice tray of tea-making supplies; free wifi (I think I had to ask for a password). Minuses: small (see pictures); TV very small and didn’t get the Welsh-language channel S4C (surprising and disappointing to me, since their website is quite bilingual); exceptionally tiny shower stall (really, really tiny, with no place to put your shampoo and soap).

Food: Breakfast was cooked to order and tasty, with all the standard sausage and eggs, etc. It was served in the hotel’s restaurant. I didn’t eat dinner there, so I can’t comment. FYI the restaurant was closed on Sunday night, as were almost all the other spots in town; I finally found dinner at the Abergavenny Coliseum, a Weatherspoons pub not far from the hotel.

Public areas: This was the biggest disappointment to me, in that unlike other reviewers, I didn’t get any sense of friendly vibe from the pub, which you walk through on the way to the stairs to the rooms. Quite the contrary. I had the sense every time I passed through that literally everybody in the (smallish) room knew everybody else, and that it would have been really awkward for me (solo woman) to drop in for a pint. Some pubs I'm fine going to alone; this one, not. FYI for the mobility impaired: I didn’t see an elevator up to the guest rooms (it would be surprising if there was one, in such an old building), and the stairs are not completely level and even, though they are tightly carpeted.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank tahl2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
The Angel
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 30 in Abergavenny
Llanwenarth Hotel & Riverside Restaurant

Been to The Kings Head Hotel? Share your experiences!