“Disappointing starters” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Hardwick
Ranked #6 of 99 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Price range: US$65 - US$65
Cuisines: European, British, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Disappointing starters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here as a birthday treat and obviously ate in the restaurant. The menu options all looked delicious and as I was so indecisive I asked the waitress for her recommendation between 2 starters. I love mussels, and while I didn't dislike my starter (which was essentially mussels on sourdough toast) I can't say I loved it either. It was very "samey". No variety of flavour through the dish unfortunately. My husband felt the same about his red wine risotto. We were asked how our starters had been but I'm not sure they're used to criticism as our responses were totally ignored! Our mains were both delicious, I had cod with chorizo and the flavours were wonderful. I'd totally recommend it to anyone. My husband had ribeye which again was cooked to perfection. We shared a dessert. Lemon sorbet. The best I've ever tasted. Just divine. So sour but sweet. Amazing! I feel the waiting staff should be trained to listen better in order to pass on constructive feedback about the dishes being served. We were sat in the extension and it was extremely hot! Fans were needed!!

Breakfast the following morning was fabulous. All cooked freshly to order. One of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Katherine B

• Turkish first
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Beef to die for..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The last meal I had here was memorable for the wrong reasons so we decided to try again on a Sunday. I've been here many times and its not always top notch. It wasn't that the food was bad, the quality of the ingredients is obviously very good, it just wasn't as delicious as it should've been for the price and reputation. However we couldn't say the same about our Sunday lunch. The topside of beef had been slowly cooked so that it was tasty, lean and cut like butter, a lovely selection of vegetables, a huge light Yorkshire pud and rich gravy (jus?). Just the potatoes let it down - but not enough to put me off. For £21 for two courses - absolute bargain. The service was friendly and good but I have been there when I've had an issue with something and then the service goes all to pot. Its as though the staff have been drilled into the mantra that the "customer is NOT always right". If they could change that, and get the food spot on every time - then this would be perfect.

• Visited August 2014
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful food and location, let down by substandard service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and five friends visited The Hardwick Saturday night. We had an absolutely lovely evening together and the food, on the whole, was of a high standard. The crab linguini starter was superb and my friends commented that the deep fried risotto was unusual and delicious. The steak and lamb as mains received good reviews from my friends, though the venison burger needed an accompanying sauce or additional relish as was quite dry. The strawberry cheesecake was amazing!

However, while the food lives up the The Hardwick's reputation, the service certainly does not. In fact, I've received more attentive service at cheap chain-pubs. While the restaurant was full, we remained until it was much quieter and service did not improve. We had to ask if we could order drinks on three occasions and asked for more water on two occasions. There were no condiments on the table, nor were these offered, so again we needed to ask. Not once during the 3 courses did anyone ask if the meal was satisfactory. My friend asked for a description of the dessert entitled 'lemon crunch' and was none the wiser after the description. Another friends cheese plate was forgotten and did not arrive until most others had finished their dessert (after giving up politely waiting to start them!). Such a shame, as while the food was beautiful, the price is not justified given the level of service offered.

1 Thank LauraHowe
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Excellent Birthday meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We (the Wife driving) drove here all the way from Swindon for a birthday treat. (70+ Miles)
I had been here before a few years ago when Stephen Terry was on Great British menu and I remembered it as being excellent . Well no surprise - my dinner was fantastic again this time, with the new extension and extra dining space making the occasion even more special.
This is a place where the ingredients really do sing and are the star of the show. We had Duck and refried Roast lamb for starters. Both amazing. For main I had the Pork loin, Ham Hock, Gentlemans relish etc and the wife had ribeye. Once again absolutely fantastic and portion sizes which bring a smile to your face. There are not many places that serve food this good and you can see more food than plate. Because it was hot and It was my birthday and I could not persuade the wife to share a Chocolate Loveliness for Two , I treated myself to the excellent home made ice cream. The Peanut Butter and Jelly icecream was fantastic. All in all a worthwhile trip and we didn't spend much on wine because the wife was driving. I can't wait until next year's birthday.

• Visited July 2014
Crickhowell, United Kingdom
“Tuesday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We've eaten at the Hardwick a number of times and today chose lunch from the set menu. All three courses were, as usual, lovely with the highlight to our meal being the delicious desserts. I chose the chocolate brownie with salted caramel and white chocolate ice-cream and my husband chose the summer fruit pudding with creme fraiche. Service was speedy and staff were attentive.

Visited August 2014