“Nothing quite like it!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nothing quite like it!”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I've had many experiences in this pub, with so many experiences for me to share! Where should I begin?..
Well I had my 18th birthday party here where I was fooled by close family that this party was going to be family only, little did I realise, they had planned a surprise party for me upstairs with a bunch of my friends! So when the manager Karen asked me to follow her up the stairs to see her adorable cat, you could only imagine my face as soon as I realised there was a massive surprise party just waiting for me! Kudos to the members of staff who went along to do the most bizarre of things! (Let's just say it involved one of them topless and wearing a Tom Daley mask!) Andy and Josh were always happy to check up on us and ensure that all the drinks were flowing and we were all happily topped up, I have never experienced service quite like it!
Since then I have visted the pub numerous times with the other half, where we experienced some glorious delicacies! Dave the chef made us a lot of wonderful food, great homemade stuff, there's nothing quite like it! Karen and Andy were also very pleasant serving us, always wearing a smile and willing to have a laugh!

If you haven't been to this pub, I'd recommend it highly! If you're looking for a pub with fantastic atmosphere thats cosy and serves the freshest home made food, this is the place for you.

Newport, United Kingdom
“I will definitely be back - clean pub, friendly staff, cosy atmosphere”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Well first of all I love the building - outside and inside. I visited on a wet, windy and cold evening with a party of 4 and we were all made to feel very welcome from the outset. It was fairly busy with a mix of regular type drinkers in the bar area and a few tables of people having a meal. Bar service was friendly, quick and reasonably priced. We waited about 20-25 minutes for our food but I would rather s short wait and it be fresh than some of the rubbish I have had to tolerate in chain pubs. Food was hot, well presented and tasty - portions were a bit on the large side but again I would rather that to be honest. Menus are on the chalk boards and there is a decent amount of choice. Would definitely recommend and I will be back with friends next month. Many Thanks.

Newport, United Kingdom
“Fantastic! Just GO and try it yourself!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

A party of us went and we were so happy with everything I feel I should give praise that is due. Too many people are quick to complain but never quick enough to say well done, and I am afraid I am one of them. I have been to the Hen and Chicks over many years and I have seen managers and staff come and go. Karen the landlady and the two staff that were on Josh and Andy are by miles the best team combination in the Chicks ever! First of all the welcome was extremely warm and genuine. We were a large group and had not booked but Karen took us to a lovely long table which was laid up for us and was so helpful with all the odd requests our group threw at her.We had amongst us 6 vegetarians and someone with gluten intolerance as well as "normal" people. We all had a good choice on the menu and specials board. Not everything is "pub grub" some dishes are homemade and absolutely delicious. Sincere compliments to the chef because we all had clean plates, not one of us found anything to moan about except maybe my mother that thought her portion was too big (but thats a good moan). I was struck by the overall cleanliness. Under previous leaderships the Chicks didn't seem to have its nooks and crannies cleaned but with this Landlady Karen it is obvious she runs a tight ship. All nooks and crannies dirt free, an over all clean and uncluttered pub but still maintaining it's much loved character. I did like the clarity of the specials boards. Anyway, the staff Josh and Andy are really efficient whilst still being able to be friendly and helpful. Prices are really reasonable and with the special offers it can be cheaper than a takeaway (which incidentally they can do). Good range of Ales for the expert palate. This pub's staff really does aim to please so just go and try for yourself. I just hope now we have found a great pub nothing happens to alter the winning combination of Karen's team!

1 Thank gambian-girl
London, United Kingdom
“Can't fault the beer....”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I haven't eaten in here for a while but had a few beers there last Friday. Saying that the menu certainly looked varied. They have a lovely selection of beers and I just like the design of this pub, lots of small rooms where you can hide in a corner - as well as tables outside in the street. The only fault was waiting a couple of minutes to be served as nobody was behind the bar. Still it was a quiet night...

Wales UK
“Pub grub”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

It has been many years since I have eaten at 'The Chicks' and that was usually doorstep sandwiches. We ordered Cod & Chips for both and this came to just over £10 as one of the specials of that day. Service was really good, pleasant and polite (despite the age of the youth serving us!!) and we didn't wait too long. The food was hot, well cooked and we didn't leave a scrap! It's still a traditional pub (thankfully!) and that is the backdrop to the eating, it's just good quality, traditional food served in a traditional pub with the option of eating outside where those who smoke can indulge.

• Visited December 2013