“Comfortable room / Great breakfast”
Review of The Angel

The Angel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Abergavenny
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed overnight in the middle of our most recent snowfest! Very nice refurbished room, quiet and really good shower. Breakfast in morning - lots thick bacon, big sausage, fried egg, beans, mushrooms, black pudding & fried bread (don't like tomato in the morning). Toast & loose leaf tea (unusual). Recommend this if you like old fashioned comfort.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan S

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Had previously booked a premium double room, but asked on arrival if they had anything bigger. They offered us the more expensive 'Lodge', but at the same price as the double. They couldn't have been more helpful, all the staff were so nice. 'The lodge' was really lovely, secluded, quaint and very cosy, situated just inside the castle grounds, so although away from the main hotel -not even a minutes walk- it was well worth staying in. If I had to find fault, which is difficult, it's that they don't do lunches. (hence the rating) You could have a selection of sandwiches and/or high tea, but a few people did come in looking for something more. Overall though it was a lovely hotel with very friendly staff. Would definitely go there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bella500C
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Dear Guest,

I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay at The Lodge.

I am confused in regards to The Angel not serving lunch, as our lunch hours are as follows:

12.00pm – 2.30pm (Monday – Sunday; lunch served in The Oak Room & Foxhunter Bar)
2.30pm – 5.30pm (Monday – Sunday; afternoon tea served in The Wedgewood room)

We are very proud of our staff, and I am pleased you found our staff to be very friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Charlotte Griffiths
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 March 2013

My friend and I met here for a meal, she was running late and I waited in the bar,which was very busy, the staff were wonderful, and although we had'nt booked, managed to get us a table in the restaurant.
The food was wonderful, we both chose the salad, my companion added the chicken option to hers, we were presented with lots of extras, and the service was excellent. The dining room would benefit from some large rugs to absorb the sound, (we had a large table of lively toddlers and children next to us). The hotel is gorgeous, and lounge very inviting a lovely place to relax and enjoy coffee after your meal. We stayed in here until 12.30am and did'nt want to leave.
I hope to be back asap, wonderful. Beware the alcoholic drinks are on the expensive side.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacqueline T
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

If you want to explore Wales especially Abergavenny then The Angel is a good place to stay.

With a central location and off road parking, The Angel is a welcoming establishment to spend a couple of days in Abergavenny.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We celebrated my lovely Mums birthday with a lovely afternoon high tea. The Angel is beautifully decorated and they have a dedicated room especially for afternoon tea. Crisp linen, best china and friendly service. We went on a Monday and it was full so I recommend you book.

The High Tea includes savouries, sandwiches, pastries, trifle and scones ......and a choice of teas that is vast. All were mouth-wateringly scrumptious. We could not eat it all!!! Excellent value for £20. Mum had the Dragons Well tea! I opted for vanilla and the boys had coffee. Ask for a take away box if you can't finish it, they are more than happy to do that.

Lovely atmosphere, room was full of people quietly celebrating special occasions. The Angel has won awards for their afternoon teas and I am sure it will win more. This was my second visit and I look forward to the third.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lady Caroline G
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

Visit the hotel bar regularly. Nice surroundings. Decent bar if a little small. Only real ales, could do with a smooth beer. Draught Grolsch is good however. Nice toilets, worth a visit for those!! Overall nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank StanBrynmawr
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Visited the Angel this week to celebrate my wife's birthday. My daughters treat. We booked in for afternoon tea. We had the choice of tea or the high tea so for the extra £3 per head we opted for the more extravagant high tea. We were unsure what we would get although they list the various delights on offer, pastries sandwiches and cakes etc, how much you get however was an unknown. Well, how pleased we were when it arrived. The 3 tier stands delivered very professionally to the table were full of a wide range of finger sized pastries, sandwiches and cakes all of which were exceptional. The choices of tea was also extensive I choose the Ceylon my wife the Angel and my daughter Earl Grey, there were many more on offer to cover all tastes. When we had finished all that was on offer we were asked were we ready for the scones, cream and jam. Well we had to make room for that!!! The few pieces of cake left were neatly wrapped and boxed and given to us to take home. It may be expensive at £21 a head but its not every day you would opt for high tea so do it...at least once. I will be going back for my birthday in August. Thanks Dano

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gaandir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach
The Beaufort Coaching Inn & Brasserie

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!