“Will stay again”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abergavenny
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Will stay again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

The Angel is exactly what a Hotel should be with a great team, good food and a very comfortable bed. Our superior room was spotlessly clean and large enough for the short break with a good bed and a sofa.
Breakfast offered a good choice including local bacon and tasty kippers.
Afternoon tea included in our good value mini break was an experience.
I cannot find anything to be critical about!

Room Tip: Room 11 was comfortable and well located
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Angel which included your superior room, breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea and our great team.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We popped into the Angel at around 1pm on a Saturday on the off-chance of getting a table for lunch when we were driving through Abergavenny. The restaurant was busy (as was the bar and there was also a wedding on) but the staff managed to accomodate us and gave us a lovely table in the centre of the room with plenty of space. The couple who arrived immediately before us had not booked either so we were not hopeful of getting in but we did. There were a couple of tables free but the others were all full. The restaurant has a relaxed art-deco decor with marble pillars and artwork adorning the walls. The lunch menu was really good, you could chose the three course fixed price menu (£25) or opt for something lighter. The fixed menu sounded lovely but we were not hungry enough for a proper meal. Instead I chose mussels a la mariniere (although you could also have them in a thai green curry sauce) with frites and my fiance had the asian pulled pork sandwich, we also shared a super food salad which sounded delicious. We were pleasantly surprised at the prices as we had heard how good the food was and expected it to be more expensive. My dish was around £12 and the salad was around £7 with desserts at around £6.

The staff were all very friendly despite being so busy and, whilst we had to wait for a while for food, it was understandable as we had not booked, arrived at rush hour and the restaurant was full. In the interim we were given fresh bread and soft butter and the food more than made up for the wait. My mussells were large and it was a generous portions and, whilst the sauce was more a la creme than mariniere, the key flavours were all present and it made for a tasty meal. My finace really enjoyed the pulled pork but the highlight was the salad. It was a really inventive salad topped with quinoa and crispy sesame seeds and contained beetroot, chestnut mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, it was all finished off with garlic ailoli. A real taste sensation and something which I will be attempting to replicate at home. I ordered a dessert as they sounded so good but, by this stage, the service was really stretched and it took a long time for the order to be taken and to actually get the dessert. I chose the cherry trifle and it was lovely. Homemade custard, flaked almonds on top of whipped cream and a delicious cherry mix with star anise flavours. This all topped some very alcoholic amaretti biscuits. It again was a generous portion and I could only manage half of it. We thoroughly enjoyed lunch but the experience would have been improved if we had arrived early and booked in advance as the restaurant would not then have been so busy. Next time this is what we will do!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoCoSi
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read you enjoyed the mussels, pulled pork sandwich and super food salad.

I am sorry you had to wait a while on your desserts, yet happy the staff were all very friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Tredegar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We recently dined here for our engagement meal and I have to say the food was delicious and the service fantastic , considering there were 19 of us all of the food was out together, we will definitely be back !!!! Thank you for making us feel welcome

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review.

Congratulations on your engagement and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Antigua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here this week, for two nights with work (I highly recommend their conference/meeting room facilities too) and I was stunned at how big this hotel is, how beautifully every room is decorated and how lovely, friendly and smiley the staff are. And the food..... is incredible. Better than many top London restaurants I have eaten at and I would go as far to say that this is the best food I have ever eaten. The wine was great too (New Zealand Shiraz but I don't recall the name of it). My room was gorgeous - large furniture, large comfy bed and a huge television. I also got to meet the lady who cleaned my room on my second morning and she was lovely too.
I'd like to say two special 'thank you's to Gareth and to the lovely young man who helped us with our meeting room though I am sad to say I didn't get his name. Both of these guys couldn't have been more attentive, helpful or friendly.
Well done everyone involved in running such a pleasant, gorgeous hotel. I just wish you were a little closer for me to visit more often socially!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lsimpsonuk
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your kind review on your recent visit to The Angel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including our meeting facilities, your bedroom, the food and wine as well as the friendly service from our team.

I will be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate staff members and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed in the Angel Hotel and everything from the service to the food to the accommodation was first class! The Hotel has been refurbished to exacting standards and not one inch of the Hotel isn't perfect! Congratulations to whoever did the refurbishment!

Friendly efficient staff helped to make this a wonderful last minute break.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read your review of your recent stay at The Angel Hotel. I am delighted to read that you felt everything from the service to the food to the accommodation was first class..

I look forward to sharing your kind comments with The Angel Team and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Having stayed for two nights in the Castle Cottage we were blown away by the accommodation and the hotel itself. The accommodation we were in being set on the edge of the car park I was initially concerned our experience would be more similar to a holiday rental but they really did service it like any other room in the main building.

The restaurant ambience was very comfortable and the food and wine list of a high quality with plenty of choice.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a short break whether exploring the area for the first time or the hundredth.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Angel.

I am delighted to read that you were also able to enjoy food and wine in our Oak Room which made for a very comfortable experience .

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I have had the privilege of being a guest at this hotel more than thirty times. The best in the area in terms of service, hospitality and food. Rooms are small but updated. Restaurant is very good and I would recommend having a meal at the hotel even if you are not a guest. Small but charming bar. Recommend.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul W
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read you feel the hotel is the best in the area in terms of service, hospitality and food.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 2 in Crickhowell
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 30 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!