“This place really gets it right.”
Review of The Angel

The Angel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Abergavenny
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We've never stayed here, but we always have lunch when we are in Abergavenny.
It is a beautifully restored Coaching Inn with a pretty court yard eating area for the summer and cosy bar and eating areas inside for the winter.
Great range of interesting food, from bar meals to full restaurant.
The afternoon teas are a real treat.
But what makes this place stand out, is the service. The staff to customer ratio is the highest I've seen. So the service is always prompt, friendly and unstressed.
Whoever runs this place really knows what they are doing
Great for a casual drink or special occasion meal.

1  Thank TMcKerrow
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am pleased to read you found the food interesting and afternoon tea a real treat.

I will make sure to pass on your comments to our team regarding service along with prompt, friendly and unstressed service.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We started off with our room being upgraded which is always a pleasant surprise (room 4). It was certainly pleasantly furnished although a little on the cramped side. You do get some road noise but then again you are in the town with access to all of its facilities.
When we arrived we thought we would only eat at the hotel for the first night, but the food was so good we did not stray elsewhere. This hotel is linked to the nearby Walnut Tree restaurant which may explain the excellence of the food and also perhaps the pricing which is on the high side but fair value.
We were very impressed by the service which was very friendly. On the first morning I explained to reception that they had given me the wrong newspaper. I thought the pleasant young man has gone to the lounge to get me another one but in fact he had gone out into the high street, and in the rain, to find me the correct one !
There is also a very attractive bar with a roaring fire.
We would definitely return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Angel and our staff were very attentive.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The Angel is exactly what a Hotel should be with a great team, good food and a very comfortable bed. Our superior room was spotlessly clean and large enough for the short break with a good bed and a sofa.
Breakfast offered a good choice including local bacon and tasty kippers.
Afternoon tea included in our good value mini break was an experience.
I cannot find anything to be critical about!

Room Tip: Room 11 was comfortable and well located
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Angel which included your superior room, breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea and our great team.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We popped into the Angel at around 1pm on a Saturday on the off-chance of getting a table for lunch when we were driving through Abergavenny. The restaurant was busy (as was the bar and there was also a wedding on) but the staff managed to accomodate us and gave us a lovely table in the centre of the room with plenty of space. The couple who arrived immediately before us had not booked either so we were not hopeful of getting in but we did. There were a couple of tables free but the others were all full. The restaurant has a relaxed art-deco decor with marble pillars and artwork adorning the walls. The lunch menu was really good, you could chose the three course fixed price menu (£25) or opt for something lighter. The fixed menu sounded lovely but we were not hungry enough for a proper meal. Instead I chose mussels a la mariniere (although you could also have them in a thai green curry sauce) with frites and my fiance had the asian pulled pork sandwich, we also shared a super food salad which sounded delicious. We were pleasantly surprised at the prices as we had heard how good the food was and expected it to be more expensive. My dish was around £12 and the salad was around £7 with desserts at around £6.

The staff were all very friendly despite being so busy and, whilst we had to wait for a while for food, it was understandable as we had not booked, arrived at rush hour and the restaurant was full. In the interim we were given fresh bread and soft butter and the food more than made up for the wait. My mussells were large and it was a generous portions and, whilst the sauce was more a la creme than mariniere, the key flavours were all present and it made for a tasty meal. My finace really enjoyed the pulled pork but the highlight was the salad. It was a really inventive salad topped with quinoa and crispy sesame seeds and contained beetroot, chestnut mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, it was all finished off with garlic ailoli. A real taste sensation and something which I will be attempting to replicate at home. I ordered a dessert as they sounded so good but, by this stage, the service was really stretched and it took a long time for the order to be taken and to actually get the dessert. I chose the cherry trifle and it was lovely. Homemade custard, flaked almonds on top of whipped cream and a delicious cherry mix with star anise flavours. This all topped some very alcoholic amaretti biscuits. It again was a generous portion and I could only manage half of it. We thoroughly enjoyed lunch but the experience would have been improved if we had arrived early and booked in advance as the restaurant would not then have been so busy. Next time this is what we will do!

1  Thank JoCoSi
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read you enjoyed the mussels, pulled pork sandwich and super food salad.

I am sorry you had to wait a while on your desserts, yet happy the staff were all very friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We recently dined here for our engagement meal and I have to say the food was delicious and the service fantastic , considering there were 19 of us all of the food was out together, we will definitely be back !!!! Thank you for making us feel welcome

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review.

Congratulations on your engagement and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed here this week, for two nights with work (I highly recommend their conference/meeting room facilities too) and I was stunned at how big this hotel is, how beautifully every room is decorated and how lovely, friendly and smiley the staff are. And the food..... is incredible. Better than many top London restaurants I have eaten at and I would go as far to say that this is the best food I have ever eaten. The wine was great too (New Zealand Shiraz but I don't recall the name of it). My room was gorgeous - large furniture, large comfy bed and a huge television. I also got to meet the lady who cleaned my room on my second morning and she was lovely too.
I'd like to say two special 'thank you's to Gareth and to the lovely young man who helped us with our meeting room though I am sad to say I didn't get his name. Both of these guys couldn't have been more attentive, helpful or friendly.
Well done everyone involved in running such a pleasant, gorgeous hotel. I just wish you were a little closer for me to visit more often socially!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lsimpsonuk
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your kind review on your recent visit to The Angel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including our meeting facilities, your bedroom, the food and wine as well as the friendly service from our team.

I will be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate staff members and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed in the Angel Hotel and everything from the service to the food to the accommodation was first class! The Hotel has been refurbished to exacting standards and not one inch of the Hotel isn't perfect! Congratulations to whoever did the refurbishment!

Friendly efficient staff helped to make this a wonderful last minute break.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read your review of your recent stay at The Angel Hotel. I am delighted to read that you felt everything from the service to the food to the accommodation was first class..

I look forward to sharing your kind comments with The Angel Team and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach
The Beaufort Coaching Inn & Brasserie

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!