“I cannot recommend this hostel”

Black Sheep Backpackers
Black Sheep Backpackers
Amsterdam
“I cannot recommend this hostel”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed in this hostel for 2 nights and I would not stay there again. The room with ensuite bathroom quite obviously had not been properly cleaned before I moved in, which was quite disgusting. The toilet and the shower both weren't working properly.
During the first night every 2 minutes or so you heard a beep from the corridor which was no good for sleeping. When I mentioned it the next morning to a member of staff she said "Oh that's ok, that's only the fire alarm" - not the right response - and when I insisted it was not ok, she said she would mention it. It was then fixed that day, turns out the battery of the fire alarm was low and that's why it was beeping... I got catcalls from customers in the pub, so although I think it can be nice to have a pub attached to your hostel, I had no desire to have a drink in this particular pub. The kitchen facilities were not great and the breakfast included in the room price consisted of Tesco milk in the fridge and Tesco cornflakes on a kitchen shelf, to help yourself. I have stayed in B&Bs which charged less and had much better breakfast and nicer rooms. The reception only accepts cash payment.
It's quite a shame because the house is nice and it's directly opposite the train station, so it could be a good place to stay, but I am afraid it's not well run and well managed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JulianeAmsterdam

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
california
Reviewed 23 May 2008

Overall this was a good hostel, and I enjoyed my stay very much. I liked that it had its own pub, a down stairs kitchen, clean rooms, and pretty good showers. Staff was friendly and nice. Even though there was a pub, we were able to sleep very well. Good location.

• Liked — nice facilities
  • Disliked — bar menu
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)