“Ali's back! ”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

The Sundarbon has been closed for some time now due to a fire and my god we missed it. As soon as we knew it had reopened we took family down for a Birthday treat and weren't disappointed. My only grizzle was when I asked if they still did lime pickle with the poppadoms and chutneys I was told they don't. Never mind. Then out of the blue one of the lovely staff brought a pot out to me! I had mustard fish and it was just lovely. As good as it always used to be. A few weeks later my sister was over and 4 of us popped in again. This time I had the Tandoori fish and my sister had the King vegetable Biryani and both were just so delicious. The layout has changed and there are tables upstairs now too.
So glad to have Ali and his team back!

Date of visit: January 2017
2  Thank pigginhell
Write a reviewReviews (118)

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Went to the Sundarbon which has been closed for nearly two years. They had a severe fire one night and have been totally closed whilst the refurbishment has taken place .
The food is just as good and the service excellent.The restaurant now has a first floor with extra tables and this has proved popular .
Well done to the staff who are very friendly and knowledgable about the vast range of dishes .
It was lovely to see Ali back at the front of house.

2  Thank Tezles
Reviewed 6 January 2017

The much needed re-opening of the restaurant was just before Christmas and not a day too soon.... So far we've only had takeaways but they have been absolutely delicious on each occasion. The service is second to none and the staff, including the owner, are so polite and pleasant. I strongly advise anyone wanting a fantstic Indian meal to sample the Sundarban, you won't be sorry.

2  Thank travellinglight_11
Reviewed 2 January 2017

Great to see that, despite being closed for two years due to a serious fire, The Sundarbon has returned as still the best curry house in Abergavenny. Ali, the owner, is a true gentleman, who runs a great restaurant with fantastic food. We have been there twice since the re-opening, and have had superb meals and service on both occasions. Great to see it back open.

4  Thank WelshmanAbergavenny
Reviewed 1 January 2017

New Year's Eve celebration, very busy but good service and excellent food,it's good to have you back open and we wish you continued success.

2  Thank Mark P