“Not very impressed”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I attended earlier to get a menu because their web page was off. No menus as it was closed so attended later and ordered the second takeaway I have had from this establishment.
I cannot review the service but the interior seemed pleasant, although quite empty on saturday evening.
Chow mien was a slop of noodles saturated in soy sauce, no smoky flavour usually associated with this dish. The meat was spongy and very fatty. Prawns were like bits of rubber. No flavour other than soy sauce..
My wife had a hot and sour soup and did not finish it. She stated it was the worst she has had.
I stress this was only a take-away but surely they can do better.

2  Thank al20986

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

It is pricey to eat there, but it is excellent food. And their buffet isn't traditional, you ask for what you want and it's made fresh, very nice.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had heard good things about the food at this restaurant and decided to go for a buffet meal. The restaurant staff advised me to book a table as it apparently gets really busy on a Sunday... they said! Alarm bells started ringing when we turned up and found only one other table was occupied. We were then given a menu... for a buffet?!
You order what you want and it's then cooked fresh, which obviously takes time. The result was a full plate of one choice. My idea of a buffet is picking a little bit from various dishes and eating it at my own pace before going back for a refill... or two. The way Kong's do it leaves no room for variety. Consequently, the meal worked out to be quite expensive for what it was.
In fairness, the food was excellent, but they need to rethink the concept of 'buffet' before we go back.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have had a few take aways from here & they have been wonderful, the best chinese food in town, its always fresh tasting and fairly priced. I then recently decided to book in here for a sit down meal with friends, the food was lovely as always however the service wasn't great. We waited what was (in my opinion) far too long for someone to even come and ask us if we would like to order any drinks, I had to get up and go and ask at the bar. They then told me we had to order drinks at the bar, this is fine, although shocking as in a resteraunt of this type surely thats what your paying for (table service)? We ordered our drinks & sat down, time continued to tick on and on and still no waiter/waitress to take our food order. Finally someone came but only again when we got up to go and ask for someone too which made the experience quite the opposite of the relaxed sit down meal we hoped for. Food arrived quickly & as I said was lovely- we have no quams there. However we ordered a curry which was £8.20 but came with no rice, no chips, not even a popadom?! As a takeaway order you expect to order rice etc as sides but when you are paying £8.20 for a sit down curry I was sorely dissapointed to have to pay for rice & chips on top.
I also think the seating arrangements could be reconsidered as the tables particularly where we were were so closely tucked up to the two tables either side that we felt very closed in and squashed together. I would still happily continue to use as a take away, but wouldn't consider going as a sit down meal again.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I had a dinner with my three friends last night and the food incredibly delicious! I am very pleased with the service, since I requested if I could have a little amount of the sauce on the dish I have ordered (beef with mushrooms ) and they have succeeded my request perfectly. The waitress that took our order spoke clear and fluent English which gave us no trouble on communicating with her unlike other Chinese restaurants. The price is too cheap for a big portioned, freshly cooked and full of flavored meal! I will be looking forward to my next meal in Kongs! and I will be gladly recommend Kongs to everyone I know!