“Affordable luxury”
Review of Foxhunter Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abergavenny
Foxhunter Inn
Ranked #14 of 30 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Just back from 2 nights, staying in 1 of the cottages. Arrived at The Foxhunter during Lunch service to be warmly greeted by name by Mike, and in a few seconds he had brought owner & chef Matt Tebbutt from the kitchen to welcome me. I decided on 2 starters rather than starter & main (no problems) - and after a relaxing few minutes with a drink in the reception / bar area, Mike picked my glass up & carried it to my table (lovely touch, and something that both he & Matt's wife Lisa do as a matter of course). After the meal there is no rush for you to leave & you can take coffee and truffles while relaxing on the huge sofa or armchairs.

The food is amazing, and VERY generous. Matt's style of cooking gives you exceptional flavours, textures & is beautifully presented without it being too much "a work of art" that you are scared to eat it. Another HUGE plus is that if Matt isn't working for any reason, his head chef still produces dishes of the highest calibre. Over the 3 lunches & 2 dinners I consumed, I've enjoyed the experience of mustard fruits, sauteed artichokes, cep soup with walnuts, pork loin with Tolouse sausage, rack of lamb, chocolate & cinnamon pot, orange & cardomom posset. The extensive wine list will make any wine buff drool, but if youre like me and a little scared - just ask!

Nantyderry is a very small place, a car is advisable but not essential, I travelled to & from The Foxhunter using rail & local taxis with no problems. The accommodation is right near the restaurant (no walking a long way to a hotel - bonus!) The cottage I stayed in was perfectly equipped with a small kitchen area including a fridge stocked with breakfast items (you stay on a self-catering basis & some dishes are available from the restaurant menu for takeaway). The bed was on a mezzanine & really comfortable - I slept like a log!

Lisa, Matt & Mike go out of their way to make you feel you are more than just customers - another good point if you're dining alone, and if Matt has been cooking he will come from the kitchen to chat with the diners. Both Lisa & Mike make sure that your meal is going OK so if something isn't to your liking, it can be quickly rectified. Lisa is a warm, kind & sincere lady, Matt is generous, talented and great to be around & Mike is an absolute treasure.

All in all, my original desire for the few days at The Foxhunter was for sheer indulgence and laughter - and thats exactly what I had. I was sad to leave the team, but will CERTAINLY be returning very soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Foxhunter Inn

Reviewed 6 September 2011

We spent a weekend at The Foxhunter and enjoyed the restaurant both for evening meals and Sunday lunch. Everything was wonderful, especially the food. The menu changes daily and all choices were excellent. Also great choice of well priced wines. We loved the wood burner in the cottage accommodation and having access to enjoy the garden. Very quiet,comfortable and intimate place to stay and well finished.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth C
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We were so pleased that the children were made to feel welcome and could choose from the menu or just have plain pasta or goujons etc. Had a fantastic meal, lots of interesting salad leaves and wild foods. Going back for a foraging trip in the autumn...again kids welcome.
Great wine list with lots of choice....and house wines were good quality.
All the staff were very friendly and Matt signed a book for us.....delightful outing all round!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank foodienews
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Although we didnt stay at The Foxhuner (we are locals) we did have dinner in the restaurant.

I have been wanting to take my partner for a meal at The Foxhunter for a while purely because I have eaten there before and been delighted. However, despite the charming opening welcome from the waitress and maitre d' who invited us to sit in the comfy leather sofa to read the menu we were then more or less forgotten as we waited for our aperetifs. We reminded them and asked to have our drinks outside. We waited.... and waited... (the restaurant was not completely full) and eventually were told our starters and drinks were on the table. Mmm... not the best start. We had been looking forward to our glass of Pouilly Fume in the evening sun.

We both chose deep fried monkfish and alioli. The portion was tiny and the batter although tempura light was greasy. We had eaten and enjoyed better battered fish earlier in the week at Kef's new fish and chip restaurant in Monmouth!

Our main courses however were good. My duck was pink - if a bit tough - and the vegetables were beautifully cooked. Nick's roasted belly pork was delicious - soft and light with a crispy skin. The portions were so enormous we couldnt finish our main course which meant, sadly, that we couldnt face pudding.

We were served delicious coffee (with melt in the mouth truffles) outside on the deck which was a very satisfactory end to the meal.

Would we go back? Possibly...but not in a hurry.

Room Tip: We didnt stay
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed 29 May 2011

accommodation: very basic, furnished from ikea, polyester pillows, tiny towels that barely covered.... Poorly fitted eg bathroom tap connections leaked water, toilet roll holder wobbly, no TV due to unconnected/broken cabling etc.

But biggest issue is the lack of hot water and the owners appalling reaction to this- unfortunately we had not read the trip advisor report prior to visiting so did not know that the hot water tank only holds enough water for 6 inches of hottish water in the bath. As there is no shower we were forced to bath and bathing second I had just a couple of inches of tepid water. When I complained, rather than apologising the owners told us about a switch needing to go on ( if so why had they not turned it on?): clearly wrong as the following morning I measured the hot water into the bath: yet again 6 inches only before it all ran out.

I also complained about the lack of TV. I was told I should have complained earlier in the day (before I knew it was broken!) and then they acknowledged that this was a recurring problem (if so they should check it before each guest).

I have never stayed in worse accommodation/ been treated so dismissively: I have never felt compelled to write a tripadvisor review before but I feel I need to warn people regarding this awful place.

Food: variable, some good, some bizzarre combinations. Dining service reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank reviewer1678
Reviewed 29 May 2011

One of the first places that split the opinions of me and my husband so much.
He felt the entrance and bar was lovely, whilst I was shocked to be greeted with "what's your name please?". Not the warmest welcome but it went straight over my husbands head!
He really enjoyed his pigeon starter and venison main, but my Thai beef salad was spoilt by too much chilie and my lobster lacked any flavour.
We had deserts but were disappointed that they were just ok, not worth breaking the diets for.
Maybe it was just a bad choice of dishes on my part or maybe in the kitchen they were missing Matt Tebbutt, he spent more time in the bar and restaurant than the kitchen!
Either way, disappointing. Would never say never again, but there are so many wonderful places around there to eat it maybe some time before we think to give it another try.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank FoodFanaticCardiff
Reviewed 1 November 2010

After much to long we eventually decided to try the Foxhunter - we have experienced The Hardwick, The Crown at Whitebrook and The Walnut teee in the past year and thought it about time we tried the lesser known Foxhunter after being recommended by a friend. The food was faultless and the atmosphere relaxed and friendy. Our gripe is with the expensive and not so great value accommodation. The building itself was clean if a little tired but there was not enough hot water for both of us to have a bath before going out or again in the morning - about half a bath full was all that there was of hot water! The do-it-yourself breakfast was not a problem but there was only stale muesli and 4 slices of bacon and 6 eggs. No fruit/yoghurt and the bread was nasty presliced in a plastic bag and to topit all the carton organge juice had already been opened and part consumed- Ugh! With such a lot of lovely local produce available our last impression was a hasty bacon butty and a quick drive home for aproper bath.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple