US$129
The Angel(Abergavenny)
US$144
US$139
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$157/night.

The Hardwick(Abergavenny)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Plas Derwen(Abergavenny)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssunday lunchwill return soonlovely lunchexcellent foodroast potatoessteakthe pubmealwaitressscrummyportionsusk
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We ate at the foxhunter last night and we cannot rate it highly enough. The food was astonishing and the service was spot on. An incredible wine list, a great selection of beers and ciders, and to top it off meeting Matt Tebbutt and his wife and listening to him passionately telling of his love for food and drink rounded the night off perfectly...

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Darandjules
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband booked a Sunday Lunch here for my birthday. I've been wanting to dine at The Foxhunter for some time and glad we did. We arrived a little earlier than our reservation, and had a drink in the small bar area and had a look at the menu, before being shown to our table where fresh warm bread was waiting for us. For starter I had Pigeon breast , chicken liver bruschetta and figs which was delicious, my husband had meatballs, pappardelle in tomato sauce, he said they were very tasty and tender ( I also tried them, yum). For mains we both went for the roast lamb, the onion sauce was lovely as was the roast vegetable. Dessert I struggled to make a decission, I could have chosen all of them, but settled for date and raisin sponge with a toffee and whiskey sauce, all I'll say is it didnt last long!!!!! My husband chose the Pineaple and rum cake, it was superb. It was a lovely meal and was lucky enough to meet Matt as we were leaving and he kindly came out of the restaurant to sign a copy of the menu for me. We will definately be back very soon. Thanks for a lovely lunch.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My 3rd (and certainly not the last) visit to The Foxhunter in Nantyderry. I had 2 nights in the very comfortable & perfectly equipped Old Stable for the occasion of my 50th birthday.

The double bed has really fluffy & luxurious pillows on top of an extremely comfortable mattress. Sleep is VERY easy here! The kitchen area is well equipped & enables you to make breakfast in the morning (or something late at night?). The fridge and cupboards have everything you need for a hearty start to the day - including thick bacon rashers, tomatoes, eggs, bread, juice, cereals, teas, coffees, preserves, butter & milk. A comfy sofa means you can relax with the TV, or just read a book & unwind with a cuppa. The Foxhunter restaurant is just a few steps away at the other end of the row of cottages, so this is perfect accommodation if you would like to take advantage of the extensive wine list available there.

In the Foxhunter restaurant I have never had anything but exceptionally well crafted dishes created by the hugely talented Matt Tebbutt & his kitchen team. The atmosphere is relaxed and informal - a place to eat & enjoy the experience (and to savour the food instead of worrying about airs & graces). Matt & Lisa are the most genuine & sincere hosts - they care about their customers, and any problem that may occur will be quickly rectified.

Matt & Lisa own an amazing restaurant and gorgeous accommodation in a picturesque area - The Foxhunter is a "must do" if you enjoy eating wonderful good in a warm, friendly restaurant. The accommodation is the perfect way to be able to enjoy all The Foxhunter and the area has to offer. If you're still uncertain of whether you should visit, then I would suggest DO IT - you would be missing out on an experience to remember!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We’ll definitely be revisiting this restaurant/hotel on a regular basis. Even though it is 85 miles away I’m sure it will be one of our local haunts for a great meal and super company. A delightful little restaurant and hotel/cottages in the middle of peace and quiet.

We had a wonderful weekends stay at The Foxhunter where we were looked after with the same warmth and charm to match our other favourite eateries. Lisa and husband celebrity Chef Matt Tebbutt made us feel most special all weekend taking time out to chat and drink with us discussing all sorts of cooking points.

Wonderful food and a great selection of wines at reasonable prices.

Richard

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rhodopsin
Reviewed 6 July 2012

A dining experience of the highest quality and one that certainly should not to be missed. If you have, then I can only suggest that you put that right as soon as you can.

The Foxhunter is in the most picturesque of settings of the welsh countryside. The beauty of the old stationhouse is both without and within, cosy with a depth of quality.

From the moment you arrive to the time you leave, the warmth of the welcome will carry with you. Matt and Lisa are the most attentive of hosts.

Lisa is both delightful and charming, with a smile that makes you feel instantly welcome and at “home”. A sommelier par excellence! The most perfect Maitre d’!

Matt Tebbutt creates the most incredible dishes, he is a true talent! His creations are to be savoured and enjoyed to the full. The balance of the menu’s, the tastes, the flavours, are beyond words. ….but how can you write a review without words! Simply go treat yourselves!

At a nearby table, we conversed with a couple from Leicester who had travelled to meet Matt and experience his culinary skills. They weren’t disappointed. As Matt sat and chatted with us, I couldn’t help feeling humbled as we had journeyed but a mere five miles. In reality a 500 mile journey or more would be well worth it.

As I write this review, I salivate at the memories of the lunch that beats all lunches. I can’t wait to return to enjoy many more lunches and dinners at this most special of restaurants. Already, plans have been made to return with friends to share the wonderful cuisine.

I reflect on dining at Gordon Ramsey’s in Claridges, with Marco at the Oak Room, Gary Rhodes in Twenty Four and ever relaxed James Martin. Matt sits easily with them all.

We can only thank both Lisa and Matt for a wonderful, wonderful experience.

The Foxhunter is not a “must visit” restaurant, it’s a “must visit soon”!

Steve & Suky