“An antidote to the January blues!”
Review of Foxhunter Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abergavenny
Foxhunter Inn
Ranked #18 of 31 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 January 2014

A long-awaited & very much anticipated visit back to the tranquility of The Foxhunter in Nantyderry, it had been 5 months since I was last there. I arrived during lunch and had a gorgeous Dexter Beef Bolognese, Tagliatelli & Pecorino from the "starters" - and due to the generous portions here, it was sufficient to tide me over until dinner.

I settled in to The Old Stable (my "home from home") and relaxed on the VERY comfortable bed - in fact it is so comfortable I fell asleep & woke 3 hours later! There was just time for a coffee before starting to get ready for dinner in the restaurant.

A glass of Matt's wonderful Vin D'Orange whilst I had a look at the menu was a great way to start the meal. I enjoyed an amazing 3-courses created by the talented kitchen team - velvety soup, perfectly pink lamb, creamy rice pudding.

Back in my cosy accommodation and an extremely restful sleep, waking completely refreshed and ready for a new day. Breakfast is "do it yourself", and the fridge is stocked with various ingredients for a traditional fry-up, or the cupboards contain a selection of cereals. A fresh loaf of bread is ready for slicing. Teas, coffees & fruit juice complete a substantial meal.

I was happy just relaxing on the sofa & reading, but in the warmer months walking around & exploring the area is delightful (a range of walks is outlined in the handbook in the accommodation, or ask at The Foxhunter). As Matt & the restaurant love to use foraged ingredients, foraging trips with a professional guide are available & your finds can be incorporated in a meal.

A filling lunch before I left The Foxhunter rounded off yet another excellent break in this gorgeous area.

The accommodation I stayed in (The Old Stable) is absolutely perfect for single travellers or couples, an ideal base from which to explore the area or a hideaway to return to after a romantic meal in The Foxhunter. The Cottage (which is the alternative accommodation) would be ideal for a family, and has a log burner in the living room along with separate kitchen & dining areas.

I'm counting the days until I can return to Nantyderry, the restaurant is "a must" for anyone who appreciates exceptional quality in food & service, but also like to feel welcome & relaxed while there. Matt & Lisa can be proud of The Foxhunter, it's not just a restaurant & accommodation - it's the people connected with it too that make it a place to visit. J & G in the kitchen, as always it was good to see you & the food was gorgeous. Lisa, thank you for yet another wonderful visit. Matt, more rocket fuel please ;-) & catch you sometime soon.

Room Tip: Both the Old Stable and the Cottage are just a few steps away from the restaurant. As a single trave...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I have lunch every month with a couple of long standing friends. Today we enjoyed a warm and friendly reception from Lisa at The Foxhunter. We opted for the 2 course set lunch and all agreed it was the best lunch we have had for a very long time. The food was beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. The service was unobtrusive but of the highest order. We all would strongly endorse the meals as the best we have had, in a radius of at least 50 miles Thank you for a delightful experience. We will return soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank johnhyn
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned home after our first visit to The Foxhunter, to celebrate my wife's birthday.
What can I say apart from, this place is fantastic!! Perfect meal, service attentive but not intrusive, and great hosts in Lisa and Matt! Will definitely return.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonnyboyb
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Very happy after my visit here with my boyfriend!! The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was fantastic! The food was brought to us very quickly and was delicious, never been here before but would 100% recommend and will definitely be visiting again thanks a lot

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Caroljohnson35
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Having been a fan of Matt Tebbutt's no-nonsense cookery for a while, I tried to book at The Foxhunter last year, but was disappointed to find it was being refurbished at the time…drat!

No problem this time around and my expectations were more than satisfied. My hosts at Castle Farm B&B in Usk, said I wouldn't be disappointed and indeed I wasn't.

Service was pleasant & attentive and the food flavourful & plentiful. Not as "prissy" a presentation as some other restaurants I've dined at, but top notch ingredients well cooked and with well thought out combinations.

Matt appeared from the kitchen towards the end of the evening chatting with the diners. A great experience overall that I'd wholeheartedly recommend.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Steve_T429
Reviewed 12 September 2013

From start to finish I am relaxed and comfortable spending time in The Foxhunter. A birthday treat to myself was the ideal excuse (not that an excuse is EVER needed) for some excellent food in my favourite restaurant. I was staying overnight in the Old Stable once again, enabling me to fully enjoy my time in Nantyderry.

I arrived in time to be able to enjoy lunch, and then catch up with Lisa & Matt (who was podding fresh peas ready to be combined with fresh crab for dinner that evening). Wonderfully relaxed & welcoming, it's an absolute joy to see Matt, Lisa & their children (along with John & auntie Jo) in this unique family restaurant.

A quick afternoon nap to refresh & recharge me from travelling, and it was time for dinner! Again, Matt & John were busy in the kitchen whilst Lisa & Jo took care "front of house". The evening just flew by, and after another amazing meal I was relaxing with Matt & a drink in the bar area as the restaurant gradually emptied.

The next day was the day before my birthday, and I was able to have a leisurely lunch before leaving to make my way home again.

Matt, long live "rocket fuel" - absolutely perfect & I was genuinely touched, thank you. Lisa, wonderful to see you again - as always, everything was A1 X. Jo, how do you fancy a bit of clubbing ;-) - hehe X. John, thank you, and sorry for the hasty "throw the keys in the door" moment - still cant believe I'd forgotten them!

In a nutshell..... gorgeous food, wonderful people, relaxing surroundings, perfectly equipped accommodation. THE perfect getaway.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RobinC35
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stopped here on the way back after a lovely week away in the Gower. We had one of Matt Tebbutt's delicious crab risottos!! An absolutely fantastic restaurant and delightful company - we had practically a personal service from Matt and Lisa. I would highly recommend this small intimate restaurant and, I have to say, the attached cottages look absolutely lovey. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple