“This is the one!”
Review of The Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abergavenny
The Guest House
Ranked #4 of 30 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“This is the one!”
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in January on our driving trip around the Uk. Everything was great about our stay, and the friendliness and travel tips about Abergevenny and the area around was invaluable. It's that B&B experience that adds so much more to a holiday and makes your stay so much more personal and enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Argyll
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I am just back from a one week stay at this delightful guest house and had a fantastic stay.
As someone who works in the hospitality field and has travelled extensively I have to say that the guest focus in this ambient guest house is the best I have experienced in the UK.
Best breakfast ever the quality ingredients and preparation were fantastic..
Thankyou so much for making my stay so comfortable to all of you.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed 4 January 2011

It isn't often that you find somewhere that EXCEEDS your expectations. Call me fussy, old fashioned, a perfectionist....but if your experience is anything like mine, there is often just that little something which disappoints you. My stay at The Guest House in Abergavenny was quite the opposite. You couldn't ask for a warmer welcome from Jenny and Kevin, it's spotlessly clean, the festive air and happy environment embrace you from the moment you arrive, and the breakfasts are 'to die for'. Guests are introduced to each other and it feels more like a 'house party' - and isn't that a nice feeling to have during the Christmas/New Year period. Nothing is too much trouble and the little touches - Christmas napkins on the breakfast table, little Christmas plant in the bedroom, Christmas music, etc - really made it all seem like 'home from home'. While I was staying, a party of vegetarians/vegans were also staying and I saw the great trouble Jenny went to to give them a fantastic breakfast each morning, consulting with them to find out what they would like and how she could make their stay memorable with her delicious food. Oh, and for anyone who has the chance to stay at this lovely guest house, make sure you try the fresh fruit and "very berry jelly" at breakfast........delicious!
Well done, Jenny and Kevin, for creating such a great guest house and thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Broxbourne
Reviewed 28 December 2010

If you don't like animals, don't stay here. Even if you can avoid the chickens and ducks, there is no dodging the cats and parrots.
It was the reviews on here and The Guest House's own website that made us want to stay here. I'm glad we did because it was definitely different!
The chickens were beautiful - so many different types, the cats were crazy and the parrots were entertaining.
Jenny and Kevin were great, friendly hosts, always up for a chat - lovely people.
The Guest House is located in a nice residential area, a five minute walk from the centre of Abergavenny. The purpose of our stay was to visit relatives close by and The Guest House proved an ideal base.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I stayed at The Guest House with many friends after a long hard walk over Sugar Loaf Mountain (Brecons) in snow and minus conditions, and have to say what a warm welcome I was given upon arrival. The Guest House itself is a perfect home from home..........met by Kevin who was extremely friendly and helpful!

A beautiful touch was all the Christmas decorations that were on show, it made The Guest House so much more personable, obviously the owners had gone to a lot of effort!

Given there was quite a few of us in the group we all had fantastic rooms, the one thing i noticed, (may I add this is a womans point of view and we all know how fussy women can be)!!!!!!!!! was the extent at which the rooms had been personalised down to toiletries in the bathroom and robes in the wardrobes......wow woman heaven!!!!

After a wonderful nights sleep (cosy beds), I have never had a breakfast like I had that morning! Lots on offer and extremely well presented, fresh from the kitchen! Plenty to choose from, could quite happily have stayed there all day and ate my way through the lot!

I am extremely grateful to Jenny, Kevin & staff for their hospitality having never been to The Guest House before what a truly enjoyable experience it was!

All in all this was an extremely pleasurable stay, like no other............

P.S I have just booked my second stay over Christmas.....can't wait!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I stayed with Jenny and Kevin at The Guest House while doing an intensive driving course. And I have to say what a wonderful experience it was. The rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable. Jenny and Kevin were incredibly warm, welcoming, and great company, as were their various pets from an adorable 3-legged cat to parrots that do cat impersonations and say 'Bore da!' (Welsh for 'Good Morning') to you, and not forgetting a delightful but dappy young German Shepherd called Joely.

However, the icing on the cake at this establishment are the breakfasts. Splendid doesn't do them justice. The choice is incredible from healthy to the classic full English/Welsh blow-out, as well as such delicacies as smoked salmon with scrambled eggs and kippers with poached eggs. All the eggs being fresh from their own chickens. In fact, I'm still convinced that it was the kippers with poached eggs I had on the morning of my driving test that helped me to pass.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I had booked a surprise weekend away for my partner's birthday last week.

We stayed the first night at the truly wonderful Llansabbath Country House and the plan was to come to The Guesthouse for the second night (based on the reviews I had read here).

I booked our stay a few weeks previously via email with Jenny who was extremely helpful and I decided to book the "Blorenge" room based on her recommendation that the views were as nice as the ones in the “Punch Bowl” room (which was unavailable).

After leaving the secluded and peaceful Llansabbath, we found ourselves in a very busy, very noisy (building works) overcrowded residential area.

There was no parking.

We parked on the pavement and decided to go and ask Jenny where to park (As a side note, when we returned home, we saw that their website clearly states: "At the rear of the property there is a completely secure parking area for six cars and umpteen bikes").

Jenny greeted us at the door and we asked about parking, she said that we were fine on the pavement for the moment but suggested that we park on the road once we go fetch get our bags. Before we went to get our bags however, she advised us that she would be putting us in a luxury room, which I immediately found confusing since I had booked the "Blorenge" room on her recommendation. She showed us to the room and explained that we could stay in there since the builders were in and redecorating the room which I had booked. The room we were shown had 2 single beds and was ground floor – so did not have the view which I had wanted when I booked the "Blorenge" room.

We decided to go and move the car and discuss what to do. Jenny suggested that we go and take the last available parking space on the road quickly before anyone else took it. No mention was made at any time of a "completely secure parking area for six cars and umpteen bikes", despite us specifically asking whether there was somewhere to park. Before we left to head back to the car, we had to dodge the builders/decorators wandering through the Guest House.

This wasn't really shaping up to be the relaxing getaway we were after.

Outside the Guest House, the street is currently a building site with renovations being carried out, builders vans parked all over the pavement, skips etc.

This is no fault of Jenny's of course, but my grumble is that this is yet another thing that we were not forewarned about - Jenny said it had been going on for some time.

We got back to the car and my partner was very upset - after our stay at Llansabbath Country House, she had been really looking forward to a relaxing, romantic day and evening. Alas, her idea of relaxing and romantic does NOT extend to living in a building site, sleeping in separate beds and having to battle for a car parking space should we decide – god forbid – to go and see the sights.

Weighing it up - If we stayed at The Guest House, it would clearly mean we would have to be dodging decorators (and putting up with the noise that comes with that). We'd struggle to find a parking space on the already cramped, overcrowded street if we decided to go out. We would have to accept a room with a terrible (ground floor) view after I booked a room with a lovely view. We also would have had to put up with having the room I originally booked changed "on the day" to a room with 2 single beds (no notice given).

I now know that their website specifically states that they have a secure car park, this wasn't mentioned to me at any point – despite us having a conversation about parking/where to park/parking on the pavement etc.

When I booked the room with Jenny by email, she asked me to keep her posted if any of our plans changed since they operate on trust (hence no deposit required). With that in mind, I sent Jenny an email a couple of days prior to our arrival to confirm we were still coming. Unfortunately, no one at Jenny's end was able to extend me the same courtesy and keep me posted on any changes. Perhaps manners don't work in that way when it comes to Guest Houses? Perhaps someone can advise me on that? Oh no, wait, Lillian and Chris at Llansabbath Country House were extremely courteous.

Hmmm maybe this whole ‘manners and “operating on trust” situation is just particular to this one Guest House then?

Walking into the Guest House, Abergavenny ruined the trip for my partner (and myself) and she was close to tears as we walked back to the car. She sat in the car whilst I went to explain to Jenny that this wasn't what we were expecting.

I like to think that I do have some manners (more fool me I guess) and so I made a token gesture of a £20 payment in return for us cancelling right then and there (considering the room was to cost us £65 I think this was far more than generous, and in hindsight, I shouldn't have done this).

On my leaving, I did mention that perhaps we'd try to come back again in future, but after thinking about all of the above, I there is no way I ever would.

So thanks to our experience at the Guest House (which totaled all of 20mins or so), we decided to turn the car around then and there and drive the 200miles back home rather than stay. Our weekend in Wales experience is now forever tarnished by this final memory.

My advice if you are travelling to Abergavenny - avoid this place but do not miss out on a stay at Llansabbath Country House – superior in every way.

I am not marking down for sleep quality since we decided not to stay there the night, however I am marking down for service, value, location. Cleanliness I shall rate as 3/5 since the areas I saw looked fine. For some reason I am unable to leave a 1/5 mark for service and location, so I have had to leave a 2/5.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Guitarbloke
JAT1946, Owner at The Guest House, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Being a sincere and genuine individual, I was totally crestfallen by this review, particularly as this gentleman and his partner were so charming. Granted, our street was a scene of total chaos when they arrived late morning due to renovation work at the property opposite our guest house, with numerous builder's vehicles obstructing the way.

There was, however, a parking space available on the street and I must confess to not having considered our guests parking at the rear of our building due to the obstruction to our car park caused by the double-parked traffic.

Regarding the other complaints, I feel it is appropriate to point out the following:

*Whilst the reviewer did originally endeavour to book the Blorenge room, I explained in my email of 11th October that the Blorenge was unavailable, but the Punchbowl, a non-ensuite room, could be reserved at a price of £65. This offer was accordingly accepted. This room, being the only non-ensuite left in the property, was due for conversion, and our builders, amazingly, turned up early. I was determined to honour the booking so I had no qualms in offering the reviewer an upgrade to our best room, the Skirrid, a spacious ensuite suite (or any of our other double ensuite rooms) at no extra cost. The Skirrid room also overlooks the Blorenge mountain, albeit from a lower angle.

*Whilst the reviewers certainly encountered our cleaner, at no stage did they have "to dodge" our builders/decorators, as they only ever use the rear entrance to enter and exit the building.

*Once the reviewer informed me that they no longer wished to stay, I queried the reason (the sole one given was that it was due to his partner finding the parking situation intolerable). No other reasons were put forward so we were, to put it mildly, astounded to read the 22 paragraph resume of complaints contained within the review.

*Regarding the £20 payment for cancellation, the reviewer, despite my protestations, explicitly insisted that I accepted. At no stage was this requested and, indeed, I felt embarrassed at being forced to take it.

*On leaving, this charming gentleman gave me a hug, wished me merry christmas and intimated that he would return at a more opportune time.

In summary, it is incredulous to me that a couple who were in the property for less than quarter of an hour could furnish such a comprehensive, negative review founded within such an abbreviated timescale. Our guest house prides itself on its warmth, attention to detail and commitment to providing guests with a breakfast to be remembered. What a shame that by deciding not to stay this reviewer was never in a position to experience these essential things, yet all the same felt compelled to deliver a withering verdict nonetheless.

I found the comments totally unjustified and deeply upsetting.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
The Angel
#1 of 2 in Crickhowell
Blorenge View Bed & Breakfast
Blorenge View Bed & Breakfast
#11 of 30 in Abergavenny

Been to The Guest House? Share your experiences!