“Unbeatable”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Unbeatable”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This really is probably the prettiest canal in England. We have just spent a week cruising and it is charming as ever. Not too many locks/bridges, but enough to be interesting.

The aquaducts are stunning, and the views breathtaking - don't forget your camara...

Most relaxing place on the planet and you exist in a different world when staying on a canal boat. Please be aware this is a busy canal, and I cannot urge first time visitors strongly enough to do your research before stepping aboard. Knowing the 'rules of the road' and the courtesy boaters tend to show for each other makes everyone's life pleasanter!

A personal plea - if you have young children please ensure they use the life belts that will be provided by your hire company (although you may have to ask) - the canal is very shallow, but the shock of going into cold water (yes, cold even in summer) can knock the wind out of the best swimmer!

5 Thank YellowMeteor

Merseyside, United Kingdom
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Aquduact trip”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Booked the Llangollen canal trip for the experience of crossing the Pontcysylite aquaduct and it was well worth it, it takes about two hours for the trip and you return on the provided bus back to your starting point.

5 Thank johnLmerseyside
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“The trip of a lifetime”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

All I can say is thank you to ABC Boat hire at Ellesmere for providing a narrow boat for a great three day holiday. I have wanted to do a narrow boat trip all my life and a three night hire from Black Water to Pontcysylite aqueduct and back fulfilled all my dreams. The boat was great and slowly travelling along the canals through the English and Welsh countryside was perfect, even a bit of rain added to the experience. This trip has a great number of bridges to travel under, two aqueducts to go over, two locks to go through and two tunnels to travel through, a huge variety in such a short distance. I can see why it is so popular. Luckily May was pretty quite and we had a perfect trip, though I understand it can get pretty busy in summer. For anyone considering a narrow boat holiday I would thoroughly recommend this part of Wales.

5 Thank Stewart B
Olney, MD
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Simply Nice Tours experience”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

In 2007, my wife and I took a 10-day personally guided tour of Wales. Stephen Hughes of Simply Nice Tours (a Welch native who lives in Pennsylvania) was our driver and guide. I was a wonderful experience and we can't praise it enough. Stephen helped us plan the trip (we wanted to see too much, given the narrow roads and slow driving times). We wanted quiet time in the country for videoing and he did great job planning the itinerary. He was always with us to tell us about an area. Lodgings were as good as could be in some isolated areas. Food was always good. I won't go it the details of our trip, but Stephen made in one for our memories.
Jim and Yvonne McCullough, Rockville, MD

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jim_McOlney_MD
wales
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Relaxing couple of hours”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I did this on the Sunday just before Christmas, the weather was good, but even thought the boat was supposed be heated, it was a bit cold at the front. Down by the galley was much warmer. As there were no leaves on the trees the views were much nicer than had it been summer.
Plenty of ducks and squirrels to entertain us on the water and the trees.
We were served a very nice warming glass of mulled wine and a mince pie. Some of the people sang carols, but you didn`t have to join in , the "choir master" had a very good voice.
The Captain gave us an interesting commentary and even though I live locally there were some things I didn`t know before abut the canal.
It was a nice couple of hours , and good value .

Visited December 2013